hey someone told me

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Jared420, Feb 20, 2011.

1. that you can clean motherboards and computer insides with mineral water?

2. Anything not affected by water, yeah. So don't expect to toss your hard drive or CD drive in there, there's a bit of prep that needs to be done first. I've cleaned a few mobos that way, I actually cleaned my original XBox (still working in my living room today) in the dishwasher, got it free b/c it was infested with bugs, bleh. Can of raid, doused the system, pieced it out, checked and double-checked everything, threw it in the dishwasher, ran a cycle, came out spiffy clean and bug-free :p

Just, again, gotta be very careful and be 110% sure to dry every little hidden crack before trying to power it up... good idea is to dry it as well as you can then hairdryer it, or let it sit out overnight.

Dunno about mineral water, though... I thought it was the minerals in water that make it dangerous? *scratches head*

3. u mean mineral OIL

4. Covering the item with a big bag of rice works great for that. It'll draw out the moisture and soak it up.

5. LOL "why is there a xbox in the dishwasher???, O im cleaning it." If i did that, people would just think im weird. I am now going to go do this to my xbox 360.

6. I wouldnt if you have hard water... And don't complain if it doesnt work lol

7. That was sarcastic, sorry, fuck my xbox 360, its a piece of shit.

8. Using bold red text I fixed the quote for you.

9. thanks for fixing that.

O and i just realized this, the title of this thread is hey someone told me, and i wanted to add "Well somebody told me you had a boyfriend who looked like a girlfriend that I had in february of last year it's not confidential I've got potential"

10. I've wanted to throw mine out a windownquite a bit -.-

11. ... ferrushing aaahhrusshingarowww.

I never did understand what that fucking song was talking about :laughing:

12. doesn't water fry electronic stuff?

13. Short answer: no.
    Medium answer: only if you don't know what you're doing.
    Long answer: If it's completely powered off, and there is nothing that can be physically damaged (contaminated) by moisture, it's fine to do. When electronic devices are manufactured, every one of them is subjected to temperatures of over 200 degrees Celsius. Then they're often washed in a chemical bath to remove gunk caused by the heating/soldering. Then, accessories are attached, stickers placed, product assembled, etc. So as long as you break it down as far as you can, down to that "fresh out of the bath" state as you can get it, you're basically doing the same thing they did during manufacturing: cleaning off the gunk. Leave a battery on the board, or forget to remove the battery, or accidentally spill water on an electronic device, though, and they get damaged by the water shorting-out the circuits while it's powered on. That's where "water is bad for electronics" comes from. You have to COMPLETELY remove any trace of moisture after washing/cleaning, before giving it any power again. That's the fun part. :)

14. ^ so i could unplug my ps3 put it in a tub full of water take it out let it dry off completely and plug it in and it will be unaffected by it?
    edit/ yea actually cause one time i put my ipod through the wash and after it dried out for a few weeks it worked again once i reset it.

15. [​IMG]

:rolleyes:

Long answer explains everything. I would say I'm not writing this for my health, but that'd be a lie... I'm actually having fun describing all this stuff, at least in the hopes someone will gain some knowledge from it ;)

16. I clean circuit boards regularly with mineral spirits. Very effective at gettin shit off all the connections. Quick soak, sometimes ill aircan em after to rly wipe out anything; dries quick too

17. You've suceeded then, I thought water in general was bad and I didn't know that stuff was heated to 200C :3