Hey Non-Americans, I want YOUR opinion

Discussion in 'General' started by sk8njam, Mar 14, 2012.

1. [quote name='"Sherak"']

You are trying to labour an irrelevant point, yes people who live in the Continent of The Americas can be reffered to as Americans, but Amercia is a term used to describe the United States and Americans a term to describe its inhabitents. You are suggesting that this is not correct when it is, your a fucking Amercian and he is a Canadian, its valid and real so stop using it to validate your argument.

And then you go and bring up the bill or rights, constitution, etc, etc, etc.... Dude before you got involved I already stated how much that make me sick.[/quote]

You are wrong. The united states is America, but America is not the united states. The other guy is right, just because the world referrers to USA citizens exclusively as Americans, does not make it proper. You could be referring to literally any country in the Americas.

2. i luv amelika...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0h9JcBPlo]I like American - YouTube[/ame]

3. its shit like this that irritates me...these are statistics from a CONTROLLED STUDY...the whole population didnt participate in this study...just a controlled fucking population...quit getting your ideas and opinions from studies that took you 20 seconds to find and another 20 seconds to post it up....

sure theres a lot of dumbasses here but there are dumbasses everywhere, wherever you're from is no exception

4. No, they have done multiple statistics like this, tests in school is one way they find this out. America is known to have problems when it comes to Geographical knowledge. Like others have said it's the education system to blame. Not Americans.

5. I don't dislike America, but I dislike what it has become.

Appearantly, Obama is fucking up even worse than Bush, and blatantly violating all the things you have in your constitution.

I won't go into detail but this is not even an American problem anymore, America is just pointed to as being 'the bad guy' even though I've heard this all finds its roots in the UK; as Obama has straight affiliations with the queen of england.

Anyway, the whole western culture is fucked up.

The End. :wave:

6. [quote name='"Skunky Monkey"']

No, they have done multiple statistics like this, tests in school is one way they find this out. America is known to have problems when it comes to Geographical knowledge. Like others have said it's the education system to blame. Not Americans. [/quote]

Don't get me wrong I agree that a lot of Americans are ignorant but that doesn't mean you assume that everybody is based off of some study you know nothing about....our education is a joke,not because the students are unable to learn but because of the way the system is designed....

If you regulate how people are taught,then you basically control and shape the rest of their lives....parents don't raise kids here,its the school system that raises them....and our government likes it just the way it is

7. This. I'm so fortunate to have parents who are well educated and politically/globally aware. It's astounding to me ho little people my age understand about what's going on outside of their own existence.

Edit: And even more astounding how little they care.

8. What gets me every time is that is every country on earth, we have some degree of American culture (be it fast food, TV shows, movies ect) so we understand their culture.. but they only have their own culture, so we really shouldn't be surprised that when they venture into our countries that they seem really ignorant.

I have heard american tourists here who tried to use the city bus service in Dublin to get to the other side of the country. They were genuinely amazed that there IS NOT one big road running through Ireland.
    I was working in the bar and someone attempted to pay for a round of drinks that came to about €32 in dollars. I say to him we only accept euro and he goes "Oh sorry little missy.. I only have REAL money"
    One American chap openly said "Oh my god, I can't believe they have electricity here!"
    ect
    ect

I blame their upbringing as well. It seems Americans need to be force fed a few box fulls of humble pie. It'll do them better then telling them that they ARE 'the best' and always will be 'the best'.

9. The study doesn't mean "everybody" just a percentage of the population.:smoke:

10. I'm an West African American living in the U.S. but I don't really follow the media, culture, etc. It seems that the Education system doesn't teach history about other countries rather their own which kinda sucks cause there an variety of countries that have interesting history behind them which doesn't get touched on.

Not an generalization but there is Ignorance and Discrimination in this country which destroys the country's reputation but the intellectual ones act apart from from the attitude and are very open minded, chill, cool people. However, politicians are like pimps they say one thing but don't explain it (alright so I got it from the comedian Katt Williams but he is true in the context of it) and some laws are ridiculous but I do believe this country can fix its self once the people get enlightened and the right politician comes in office.

11. If you think that's bad, when I lived in Hawaii (which has only been a state for 61 years), tourists would routinely ask me if we accepted American money. On a few occasions I responded "Yes sir/ma'am, Hawaii part of the United States." and they'd look me dead in the eye and, no shit, ask "since when?". If I felt like being an asshole, I'd tell them that it'd only been a couple of weeks.

12. That's mad!
    When I was in school I learnt

ancient irish history (mythology ect.. you learn all that shite as a kid), 1916 revolutionary irish history and the 1980s Northern Ireland troubles
    Boston tea party and the forming of the USA
    World War 1
    World War 2
    The Cold War

13. #93 raven46, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
    Been down south multiple times. The people are similar to here but i fucking HATE your government. Although I don't trust government in general too much.

The people that piss me off (for any country) are the ones that are way over patriotic. We're all humans guys. I love where I'm from but there is a difference I think.

I have to admit though, I do kind of think(true or not) that america has more than its share of ignorant people compared to some other places.

14. I may be generalizing things here, but in my opinion, American culture is a culture where you are actively encouraged by society to be an arrogant dickhead.

15. If a patriotic policeman arrests someone for theft in America he's a hypocrite..:laughing::p

16. it started me with a country i didnt even know existed... after randomly clicking 7 times i gave up.

17. #97 Sunshine86, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
    I can't remember discussing any war other than The American Revolution, the American Civil War, The Mexican-American war (well, the skewed American version), and World War II (but, even then, we learned nothing of the post-war consequences) in any of my classes. All we learned about World War I, The Cold War, Vietnam, and Korea is that they happened.

Edit: In hindsight, it seems they intentionally avoided teaching us about conflicts that involved any measure of political complexity—probably for fear of us picking up on the fact that our government has a proven history of flagrant scumbaggery.

18. #98 Autechra, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    The point is you flaunted the statistics as though they represented the whole population. Your post read 'x% of Americans' without pointing out it was a controlled study, and you wanted it to have that effect. We're not that stupid.

I'm beginning to understand why you advocate communism, you're clearly not very educated about it if you can't even point out the countries it's had some of the worst effects in on a map, or if there is a country in Europe (presumably Eastern) that you didn't know existed. Only someone not educated about communism could possibly think it's a viable political system.

19. lol. name an actual communist society and ill take you seriously. good luck because its impossible. there have been plenty that called themselves communist but i can call my house purple but that doesnt change the fact that its not.

20. Define 'actual communist society'. Also detail for me, if you will, what constitutes actual communism and fake communism.