Hey LED experts!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by farrell, Feb 13, 2011.

1. #1 farrell, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
    :wave:
    This may be crazy, but here's something offered by Philips, a major lighting company who just recently acquired US based Colorkinetics. They've got some color led arrays running about 146 watts with 5k lumen output, and well, I don't know what I'm talking about so wanted to hear some intelligent input on the potential for using these sort of lights as options for indoor growing.

Best,

2. :wave: It's a color led floodlight, folks. Or perhaps someone can talk about Philips stuff in general.

Maybe a a LED sticky or link to someone who knows led specs for mmj?

Best,

3. Price for our application is off the charts. That right there says no. Other than that they don't specify what LEDs they are using and what their power output is. No output current or voltage to go off of either. They use lenses to focus the light, so who knows.

4. :wave:

Here's something from Apache

Specs:

120/240V input
    Blue peak at 470 nm
    Red peak at 630 nm
    7:2 ratio of red/blue
    Power consumption 156W
    Two quiet cooling fans
    14 or 50 lense angle
    RoHS, CE, UL certificates

What say you Loki?:hello:

5. #5 TBM, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011
    120 lumens per watt? Haha, with what bin LED? Maybe .2 inches away from the light. Such a joke, this company makes me laugh. Check this LED out, it is the best and most efficient HIGH POWER LED on the market at 100 lumens per watt. http://www.cree.com/products/xlamp_xml.asp

Now tell me Apache isn't full of shit.

Really, do some research on LED technology and lighting for botanical use before you buy a light. With the abundance of crappy lights on the market, its the least you can do if you aren't willing to build your own.

Right away that Apache brand makes a false claim. NO WAY IN HELL a 120W LED array produces a 1000W HID equivalent. End of story. For one most manufacturers don't use the most efficient LEDs so they already are behind the curve in their power claims. Only a small wattage HID can be beat by half the wattage of LED. HID is less efficient at lower wattages, so its easy to beat a 250W HPS with 100W of LED. Blows it away even.

As wattage of HID increases, so does efficiency, so it would take 80% of the power of a 1000W HID to equal it in LED. That is with top bin LEDs, not the LEDs most of these light manufacturers use, which emit less than half the energy as photons. Going by their standards of LED binning and light design, I would bet a 400W HPS would beat that 120 Watt LED array.

Do your own homework, don't take my word for it. I may be full of shit too, but I don't trust any LED manufacturer, so I built my own. After a couple months of research, and being an electrical engineer, I trusted myself to build a light better than anything I can buy, but it will cost me more. So far the micro test grow with the LED array I put together is kicking ass, now time to flower.

I'm sure their light will grow a plant, don't let my hatred for LED manufacturers skew your opinion, its just they make claims that just aren't true and give the tech. a bad name because they are shitty engineers and don't know they are using less efficient LEDs that aren't emitting as much photons as they could be with proper LED bins. But that would cut into their bottom line and they can't have that. Must make more money for less right? Its the capitalist model of business anyway. Screw quality.

6. Check out [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di2K36rFNUI"]this Youtube vid[/ame]