Hey i just started help me out

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Iwannabehigh, Jun 6, 2010.

1. So I just started to grow and this is how I started it. I took a glass full of luke warm water and put about 30 seeds into the glass. I let that sit for about 10 hours then about 15 fell to the bottom. I took them put it in a damp paper towel wrapped up in a glass with about a inch of water. Now I was thinking that needs to sit for about 3 days. Im not for sure know what im doing so any comments or tips will help a lot.

2. your making germinating harder then it could be. take 3 sheets of paper towels, wet them and put a few seeds in the paper towels and a ziploc bag and leave them in a warm dark space.

3. To be honest, I had the most success by putting the seeds into soil as soon as they sink in the glass of water. Not too sure that the paper towel method is required to be honest.

Fat E

4. Alright. What type of soil do you think i should get? Btw i live in houston so its super hot here

5. How long should i wait til put them in soil?

6. #6 DankBlunt, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
    Put about 5 into a paper towel, then close it up. Make sure the paper towel is damp.
    After that, Put them in a ziplock bag,making sure no air gets in there to dry out the paper towel. After about 3-4 days they should begin to sprout. with your finger make a little crater about an inch or two and drop the seeds in there. Don't touch them, or there would be no point in GERMINATING them. Try just sliding them into the whole then lightly cover the seed with soil.

Plants like heat, but they depend on a light source even more.
    Texas is a good place to grow, unless you get caught by the fedz.

after about a week or so your plants should start surfacing.
    Post pictures, We'll be able to help you out even more Mikey!

Fox Farm Ocean Forest is the best soil i can say,
    Although alot of people use their own natural mixed soils.
    If you choose on using Miracle gro since it's cheap, I'd reccommend Organic Choice although it has nutes. But by getting Blood & bone meal after about the 3rd week you would be able to control that.

7. Yeah, skip the whole paper towel thing. It's not necessary.

Put your seeds in the soil when the taproot is about a half inch long. Don't let them get too long. Put the seed in the ground taproot down.

For soil, anything without time release nutes is good. And by that I mean DO NOT GET ANY SOIL WITH TIME RELEASE FERTS or says "feeds plants for x months" or anything of the sort. It can fuck you over in a hurry if you aren't going to be Ph testing your soil (which I highly recommend doing).

Any topsoil is good for plants, the less nutes the better during it's seedling stage. After that transplant in to good soil like Fox Farms Ocean Forest if you have a hydro store nearby, or just use the same soil and buy nutes.

8. Well since i live in texas and it is extremly hot do you think i should grow outside or inside.
    Next step: Puting them in some ocean fox farm soil in dark blue cups and start watering

Anyone else wanna help me out? im open for any comments good or bad

9. #9 DankBlunt, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
    AKhans, Clearly you have no idea. NOT ALL TOPSOIL IS GOOD FOR PLANTS Are you kidding me dude? "Iwannabehigh", since you know me in real life I suggest you do what I say. You've seen my plants before my stupid ass brother threw it out. But i do agree, Don't get ANY soil with time realease ferts.

Like I said, Plants DONT depend on heat as much as they do a light source.
    So texas being hot is only a plus. Obviously it's better growing inside since you don't have to be cautious and there's less chance getting caught by the po-po.
    If you plan on growing inside, I'd suggest getting some high wattage CFL's or HID lights.
    You can get these at Wal-mart or Home-Depot I got mine at Walmart.

I hope i'm not writing this as a waste of time,
    Cause i know you personally, Theres no good area in Atasc. that people wouldn't find or you look sketchy going there. Grow either in your own backyard/Revein with a bunch of greenery to make it camoflaugh.

Btw, It's FOX FARM OCEAN FOREST
    Any questions, Call or text me you have my number
    Putting seeds in soil straight away is stupid. Although it works but it'll take much longer to sprout.
    And I'm pretty sure you'd get a little fed up after about a week and seeing nothing so you'd start moving the soil to see if anything is growing. This would be sort of stupid, since you'd most likely move the seed or hurt it in away.

10. where can i get fox farm ocean in where we live or where you used to live

11. Is there a TexasHydroponics store anywhere in the area?
    Look it up on google, cause i know they definately have it.
    Check garden centers, or Walmart/Home Depot

Maybe even that place opposite CVS on Timber Forest.
    I mean you don't have to use FFOF
    You can get Organic Soil, Just read the back and make sure it has no time release ferts,
    that's what'll hurt your baby.

[​IMG]

12. ugh you told me not to use miracle grow

13. Noo, You can use Miracle Gro just alot of them have time release ferts.
    Organic Is Better - Remember that bud

14. Alright i just bought cups.
    There beer pong size and there dark blue how much soil do i need to put in the cup?

15. Their good cups to start off growing in, Good job.
    Leave about 2" of space at the top of the cup

16. clearly who has no idea? don't try to disprove an old member with advice that's incorrect man... i won't tank your karma this time...

yes, pretty much all topsoil is good for plants, unless it's off on pH or has time release nutes in it... also... FFOF is overpriced and not as good of quality as several other soils you can use...

i always preach getting a base mix and a few soil additives, and mixing your own... especially for beginners, you'll see what does what each year as you mix, and can refine the process to suit your needs...

my 4 foolproof brands?
    Pro-mix (what I use)
    Kellogg's
    Sunshine
    Roots Organic

all of these brands have no pH, bug, or consistency problems... you'll most likely want a little perlite/vermiculate mixed in...

as far as soil additives goes... there's one that's king shit... worm castings! If growing organically, you're already halfway to a microherd by using worm castings and feeding your plant some form of humic acid every so often... if the soil you choose doesn't already have myco spores, it's a good idea to pick up some great white myco spores... it's a fungus that attaches to your roots, aerating them and delivering nutes like a buffet platter...

as far as nutes go... I'm Batman... go with guanos or meals, and mix them in... you can get by with something like Earth Juice - Grow / Earth Juice - Bloom, or use mexican/jamaican bat guanos, or use blood/bone meals.... for humic acid and root development, use Liquid Karma and Kelp Extract or Kelp meal...

i don't hate on indoor grows, but they don't get 10 feet tall indoors either... if you live in an area with a lot of sun, and obviously if you have a spot for it outside, the sun's a better grow light than any HID you can buy... the problem with it is unpredictable rains and cloudy days... weigh your options on that and do what's appropriate for you...

if you want to go the supercheap route... there's tons of soil at local dispensaries... check around, and if you find one in your area, you could get truckbeds full of mushroom compost and topsoil for the same price as a bag of FFOF... you'll still need some nutes and drainage (perlite/vermiculate), but you could save a LOT if you're growing on large scale...

they always look at me weird, but i pH check local soil just to be sure before i buy a truckbed full... generally i grow herb with pro-mix, but i've used local mushroom composts/topsoil in my tomato and pepper garden with great results...

just check your budget and grow space, then decide what's the best way to go about it bro...

17. Out of the six seeds i have(gunna put of pics when i get home) a few have the taproot way out. others are just kinda out. Do you think i need to still wait a day or just put them in the soil now.

18. the longer you let the taproot get, the bigger chance of it being damaged during planting... put it 1/4-1/2 inch in the soil as soon as you see a white tip...

19. Advice that's incorrect? Hmm, sure.
    How come i've had succesful plants with these details.
    I know the thread starter in person.
    you DONT therefore i know his budget, I know his area.

You just wrote all that for no reason, I know for a fact he's not going out to go buy all that. And I've had a succesful grow without using all of that.

I'm not looking for an arguement.
    I'm just saying,
    Yeah the way you grow is perfect, but Marijuana plants don't need THAT much attention.
    Plus he's using schwag seeds If they were some dank seeds,
    Then yeah why not go all out with $100 lights and bat shit.

20. I'm sorry sir, but I must disagree with you. Topsoil is great for plants because it's unferted (for the most part) and you have more flexibility to add your own nutes without having to worry about burning your plant. As opposed to say, going straight to FFOF which can be too hot for seedlings and could kill your plant. At least we agree with not time release ferts :)

Plants like to be in the mid seventies heat wise. Too much heat (90's and above)and your stomata's will close up and no CO2 will get in because the plant is trying to retain water. This leads to heat stress and it can stunt your plants.

Unless you can get an A/C just for your grow room, I would grow outside. If the air in your house is going to be hot, the air going into your room is going to be hot.

As for germinating, you can see the tap root come out while it's still in the cup of water. That's why I said the towel is unnecessary. I would wait to put your seed into the soil until you have a taproot showing.