Hey guys need help thrips

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Grow42000, Jul 16, 2018.

1. So I’m about a week in and I checked today and noticed a little bug like thing crawling along the plant looked like an early stages thrip like dark brown , I only saw the one the and I checked all plants either this or I’m just paranoid from the weed lol but anyone help me with thrips ? I sprayed them down with water and I’m gonna check them tomorrow night but I’m broke as fuck atm so I need some home remedies lol thanks I got one picture [​IMG] it ain’t the best lol but oh well I’ve read I could use soapy water ? Would this help and what could I put in the soil in case there hiding in there ? Should I repot them in there final pots ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. I just read to mix soap and dry tobacco or chewing tobacco together in water and this will soak into the leaves and kill all thrips ? Anyone tried this?

• Like Like x 1
  3. there is no visible thrip damage on that seedling.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Look at the underside of the leaves. Don't try to cure the infection until you've identified it positively.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I’m so positive I saw one tho guys it crawled underneath the leaf and the disappeared I’ll have a look again later check spray them with some soapy water and spray my groom with soapy water just in case

• Like Like x 1
  6. Okay so I checked em again and seen two different ones today so I’ve sprayed them with soapy water but here I have a not so clear picture but you can see this little basterd [​IMG] I’m gonna spray them again when lights are off [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. With plants that small and just a couple of thrips I'd just kill them by hand. Get a cheap magnifying glass and spend 10 min a day searching them out. As long as you kill the adults you can get rid of them in no time. They live, feed and lay their eggs in the leaves so no worries about eggs in the soil tho an adult or two could fall in the soil as they tend to jump if you're not quick about squishing them. The grow before last I had 27 plants flowering when I found thrips and spent two hours every 2nd day down there squishing the little bastards as I didn't want spray on my buds. Plants finished fine with very little visible damage. Compared to the horror story I just had with mites it was a walk in the park.

A good cheap spray is just dish soap, Blue Dawn works great, and some canola oil. Two tsps of each in a qt/L of water works as good as anything. Stir the soap in first then add the oil and stir it in too. Don't shake it or you'll have nothing but foam. :)

I'm using Safer's End All II with added neem or canola oil to finish off some mites on my veg plants. It's just insecticidal soap with pyrethrins and works pretty good. A 1L bottle of the ready-mix is the same price as a 500ml bottle of concentrate that will make 10L so get the concentrate if you decide to buy something like it. Was $14.

Make sure you spray every 4 days for four doses to get the young as they hatch out and before they are mature enough to lay eggs. Lift the leaves to get underneath real good too. I'd lay the pots on their sides so it's not all running into the soil as well. Same strategy works for mites.

Good luck!

8. You want to soak tobacco in water with a little vinegar in it to extract the nicotine and oils then strain it thru a coffee filter, add some more water and a bit of dish soap. I'd add some canola oil too. The oils smother the bugs, the nicotine poisons them and the soap helps it all stick to the bugs and leaves. I'm not positive of the amount of tobacco/water to use tho.

Should always give a rinse of plain water the next day too so you don't get buildup and plug the leaves stomata on the undersides. That's where they breathe from.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. I have sprayed them with some soapy water today will do again tomorrow

10. chewing tobacco. are you nuts? all you need to do is introduce the tobacco virus.