Hey cool people of gc

Discussion in 'General' started by ptownroll, Aug 17, 2012.

1. It finally clicked on what I want to do for the future.

I figured out I want to major in biology. There are many careers I can choose from and most of them interest me.

I also have an interest in environmental biology. It's crazy how nature is like a web of everything connected to each other to help one another.

Anyone else want to share their own thoughts of something you want to do?

2. [​IMG]

3. so what exactly is it that you have to do? doesnt sound like you have to do much of anything!

4. [quote name='"totalitarian"']It's not about what i want to do, it's about what i have to do.

I gave up on my dreams a long time ago now, i'm in it for the money, i work 4 hours a week and live in a condo. Sigh, i hate my life[/quote]

Care to explain more in detail?

5. #5 Internetz, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
    Anyhow, OP, unless you're going into medicine, biology isn't as lucrative as you think it is; coming from experience.
    what specific field were you looking into? 'Environmental Biology' is a pretty big field.

6. Biology is a great field to go into. I hope you find satisfaction in the pursuit of knowledge! I'll be studying Chemistry myself.

7. [quote name='"Internetz"']

Anyhow, OP, unless you're going into medicine, biology isn't as lucrative as you think it is.[/quote]

What would you suggest? I can see your point, though.

[quote name='"StonedOpossum"']Biology is a great field to go into. I hope you find satisfaction in the pursuit of knowledge! I'll be studying Chemistry myself.[/quote]

Good luck with that man. I will see what I can whip up

8. I havn't decided yet, but I really would love to be able to make a career that had anything included with snowboarding in it. I love snowboarding more than anything in the world... YES even bud, and I would rather have a fun job that I loved than one that made me a load of money and I hated.

9. [quote name='"BongRippaJack"']I havn't decided yet, but I really would love to be able to make a career that had anything included with snowboarding in it. I love snowboarding more than anything in the world... YES even bud, and I would rather have a fun job that I loved than one that made me a load of money and I hated.[/quote]

For sure dude, seems like you on the pursuit of happiness :)

10. idk, it depends on the scene where you live and what you want to do…

Idk where in CA you're at but there's the monetary aquarium and san diego if zoology's your bit.
    Extensive marine and forest parks and conservation efforts if you like ecology
    If botany is more your thing there's always agriculture and biochem/med research
    Not sure what is happening in NJ, but I understand southern Jersey is pretty forested, and there's always stuff to do with the watersheds and coasts.

What sorts of things interest you about environmental bio?

11. i know 3 people who graduated with Biology degrees. Bachelor degrees.
    one is unemployed, about to be working at the airport.
    one is getting a Masters.
    one is getting a second Bachelor.

but if that is what really interests you, then don't let me stop you.
    you gotta do what makes you happy.
    if you aren't already in college, you might change your mind when you get there.

IMHO, anybody who wants to better themselves is on the right track.

12. Thats the great thing about not knowing.

Oh the wonders the mind creates without a definitive answer.

13. That's just Trolling 101 :smoke:

14. Not quite.

15. #17 420stonedpanda, Aug 17, 2012
    You could do astrobiology OP, that would be fucking cool. And working for something like NASA would be amazing, and you have a slight chance of going into space in the future. Environment Biology also sounds interesting, though I always had it in my head that environmental biology is a pretty popular field at the moment maybe making it harder for you to find decent jobs? But if you love it don't let that hold you back.

I'm studying Egyptology at the moment, I want to get a doctorate in the subject and do research/write some books in the future, but that's all a long way off...

16. You guys who are thinking of going into scientific fields, might want to get a copy of my new July 2012 List. The endocannabinoid system and how it works is an expanding field- check out Pubmed sometime to see what I mean!

I have collected all sorts of interesting studies! For a preview of what you can get by emailing me, just click that first link in my sig. That gets you the little GC 420 pages of links.

Sending me an email (see the bottom of my sig, will get you all the good stuff that PubMed had up to July 30, 2012 and more! My list makes a great place to start on that MMJ paper you have always wanted to write! All of the sources you may need have been collected and sorted for you!

And if you have a choice, take the job you love, no matter how low the pay! If you love what you are doing, it isn't "work". You are doing what you love and they happen to pay you for it. :D

A job you hate, eats at you and sours your life no matter how much you are paid! :(

Granny :wave:

17. I've been putting thought into culinary school lately. Eventually to own my own diner or restaurant. Definitely something concert friendly. Other things I've thought of doing haven't really had that staying power for me. I've wanted to be a chef since I was a kid. No idea why, but hopefully it'll work out. haha

18. #20 ptownroll, Aug 17, 2012
    [quote name='"420stonedpanda"']You could do astrobiology OP, that would be fucking cool. And working for something like NASA would be amazing, and you have a slight chance of going into space in the future. Environment Biology also sounds interesting, though I always had it in my head that environmental biology is a pretty popular field at the moment maybe making it harder for you to find decent jobs? But if you love it don't let that hold you back.

I'm studying Egyptology at the moment, I want to get a doctorate in the subject and do research/write some books in the future, but that's all a long way off...[/quote]

Oh dude I'm open to all suggestions, Biology is a big family I'm sure you know.

[quote name='"Eldar220"']I've been putting thought into culinary school lately. Eventually to own my own diner or restaurant. Definitely something concert friendly. Other things I've thought of doing haven't really had that staying power for me. I've wanted to be a chef since I was a kid. No idea why, but hopefully it'll work out. haha[/quote]

Where would you want to open up? Small town? City? And what kind of food if you open a restaurant?