Hero's Grow Quest Summer 2006

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by TheFxckingHero, May 28, 2006.

1. Ahh, guys, I just took the oldest plant (the one that got over-fertilized the worst) out of the grow room and looked closely at it, and it has developed preflowers between the stem of branches and the main stem of the plant... right there next to the stipules. It's very small though and it's quite hard for me to tell the difference. I've looked at pictures of preflowers online and know what they look like. This doesn't look like a ball on a stick to me, it looks like the female preflowers but I can't see the two small pistils coming out of it yet, although they may not have developed yet enough to easily see. I grabbed that microscope I got from radioshack and so far I haven't been able to locate and focus in on the tiny preflowers with the microscope because 60x magnification makes it quite hard to find a specific place on the plant, but while trying to look at the preflower I put the microscope up to some of the newer leaves for the first time and I can actually see trichome glands all the way across the leaves.

it looks so amazing through the microscope. I wish that I could somehow take a picture for you guys. anyone who already has one of these I'm sure knows what i'm talking about. I suggest that EVERYONE go get one of these illuminated microscopes. they are only $10 and it is incredible looking at the plant so close up. I got completely distracted just looking in awe at everything with it that I didn't even mind that I couldn't find the preflower through the microscope. it really is awesome.

I'm having quite a hard time focusing in on a preflower with this thing though. a 5x magnifying glass or 25x jeweler set of lenses would probably be a lot easier to use for this purpose. my hands are too shaky... I'll have to see if any of my friends have a regular magnifying glass to check out the preflower. I'll post back as soon I know for sure, but I just have a strong feeling this plant is a female.... p.s. sorry Smkn about the last post. I was in an irritable mood and acted like a dick.

2. well I'll take some new pics soon... I'm getting kinda frustrated with things. something I noticed is that new seedlings I start always have small leaves... with most other people's plants I see the first few sets of leaves on the seedlings just keep getting bigger, where mine just stay small and then the plant moves its energy to putting out the next set and the lower leaves yellow and don't grow any larger... seems like for some reason I just have really shitty growing environment in there for them... aggrivating.... maybe my bulb is crap. I don't know.

anyways... i transplanted all of the seedlings out of cups and into pots... I only had room to keep 7 in there with the 6 larger ones.... the other 5 went outside somewhere and one got eaten by an animal or something and the others are not doing so well because i haven't been out there to water them... i'm not really all that concerned with them as they were the slowest 5 of 12 and I may just let them die off out there. I kept the better looking 7 seedlings inside to try to speed up their growing under the light while I still have the room before transplanting the larger plants to bigger containers. however, I just checked one of the larger plants and the roots are outgrowing those pots... so I guess I'll have to transplant the 6 bigger ones into atleast 3 gallon pots soon, and move the seedlings outside with the other 4 still out there... I just want to know which plants are males and be done with them and get everything sorted out, because this is all beginning to stress me out

the only plant that is not bag seed (the PPP) has outgrown all the others in height now... but it also is in the largest pot. also, it doesn't really branch out much at all, where the others are starting to branch a lot... sure grew a lot faster though... maybe my bag seed just has hardly any vigor.. bad genetics, perhaps.. I don't know though...

3. Soft white is a more redder orange, go with the cool white ones, they will get ya what your lookin for.:wave: good luck with the grow.

4. soft white in this case is the name of the brand of lightbulbs.. I don't think it is related to the color spectrum. anyways, I'm not using those CFLs for anything right now... will use them later for rooting clones if I end up taking any clones..

thanks for the good luck wishes :] ... plants look a lot different now... still a ways to go though.. pics soon

5. plants look fucking luscious bro

6. UPDATE ON BAGSEED/PPP GROW:

Okay, here's a long overdue update.

-The first thing I recently learned is that I never should have moved the light further away from the plant. Two feet away with a 400w HPS is WAY too far away. I had the light this distance from them for probably about 2 weeks and this slowed growth down tremendously and caused them to stretch. In my opinion, they should be no farther away than 14 inches from a 400W hps ever. I have them about 12 inches right fromt he light right now, which according to the chart I posted up a while ago is equal to 100% the intensity of tropical sunlight at the equator.

-I have been on 12/12 for about a week now I believe... I'm not really sure how long it's been exactly because I'm not concerned and haven't been paying attention... I'm not going to start counting flowering time until all 6 plants have shown sex.

Right now, 3 out of 6 have shown sex clearly enough to be sure and these 3 are all girls. This includes the PPP, which makes me happy. It's only a nirvana plant, but it's a sativa (my preference) and it's supposed to be a strong one.... So, I will now have something to compare the bagseed plants to as far as potency goes when harvest time comes.

I've heard many times that male plants will usually show sex before females, so it looks like I am going to have a great female to male ratio here... considering the first 3 have shown to be girls... I'll have to wait to see what the other 3 turn out to be, but I've got high hopes. :p Wouldn't it be nice if all 6 turned out to be female? Cross your fingers for me... :)

-However, just a half an hour ago I snapped the main stem of one of the females... I posted a thread up about this in the sick plants & problems forum. Please go there and answer (or just answer me here in this thread) if you can help me out. It's not completely broken off or anything, but one side of it is cracked. I accidentally did this when I was moving the plants around and tying them down so that all areas of all plants would receive light. I've been LSTing for a while now, and I love watching it work. Within just a few days you can see how the plant reacts shooting out branches further and bending all growth tips towards the light.

-Oh, about the seedlings. They suffered badly when I moved the light away, and I had taken some of them outside, but the tropical storm that came through wiped them out... the rest were still very underdeveloped and since I've got a whole bunch of new strains to play with for next grow, I've just tossed all but one of the seedlings out. The only one I've kept is that indica that was shown earlier on because I've got room for it on top of the side of one of the pots in the corner. It's still small, but I figured I'd leave it there and let it do whatever it wants. Maybe it'll turn out female and grow a nice little nug. Who knows?

I'll take some pictures soon, although I don't think there is anything all that interesting to see just yet... but there will be in the next couple weeks...

Now, INFO ON NEXT GROW:

I've already started preparing for next grow, and this one is going to be killer. A kind individual gifted me some beans, which I currently have, and I've also placed an order at dr chronic's for a few particular strains I'd like to have going next grow.

I'll be using coco coir in plastic growbags this time, and I've already got the coco, nutes, and everything ready. I may set up a passive ebb n flow hydro system with a reservoir to make it easier to water the plants often, but we'll see how often they need watering in the coco first. It's going to be a sea of green with as many clones as I can fit in there. I am going to start growing the mother plants as soon as possible. I have set up a separate veg area in a long wooden chest using 3 2-tube shoplights. Each tube puts out 3000 lumens, which totals to 18000 lumens of 'cool white' light right on top of the plants, which should be plenty for vegging.

I figure I have around 8 weeks while the current plants flower. So, in this time, I am going to grow out atleast 3 or 4 seeds of each strain to make sure I have a female of each to use as a mother plant. Then, when the flowering area has been cleared out I am going to take enough clones from these mother plants to fill the area and I'm going to have a sea of green with probably around 16 clones.

I plan on using 4 strains for this grow and out of the ones I have I think I will be using the following:

-AK99 [Serious Seeds' AK47 x Spice Brothers' C99]

-Morning Dew aka Morning Dew Spice [Spice Brothers' C99 x Endless Sky]...
    The Endless Sky = [Iranian Indica x Grenadine], & Grenadine was [NiagaraXShiva]xG13

-C4xBR [Chimera Seeds C4 x Subcool's Black Russian]
    The C4 = [Frost Bite x Shishkaberry] and the Black Russian = [cherry AK47 x Blackberry]

-The 4th strain will either be pure C99 or White Rhino. I haven't decided yet.

To say I am excited about this next grow would be a huge understatement. :D

Now, to add some color to this long ass post which many of you probably won't read, here's a picture of subcool's Black Russian & some info on it, so you know what to expect from the C4xBR next grow...

[​IMG]

"The Black Russian is a cherry AK47 x BlackBerry hybrid. this is a one-of-a-kind Northern Californian bagseed find and exists only in clone form. This unique phenotype exhibits intense anthocyanin expression in the form of a deep dark purple, bordering on black, colour on 100% of it’s calyxes (even nodal) under all but the most extremes in high temperatures from the start of flowering through harvest. The Blackberry’s taste is as unique as it’s appearance, with scents all in the ‘high-note’ range, tip of the tongue, if you will. There are no earthy, musky tones at all but, rather, elements of violets and opium with a slight antiseptic note. Even the trichomes of the Blackberry are purple, which makes extracting bubble hash a rewarding process as both the water and the hash end up purple."

7. hello The Fxcking Hero, just read through your thread man. seems like they allways start slow, not really a huge forum like OG (was) or Icmag.anyhoot
    your planned grow sounds killer! and i wish you the best of luck many growers ive seen using coco have dove very well, will have to find you a link i think you would like,about coco sogs, he even ran PPP so i think you will enjoy it,just have to go back and find it for ya....anyways congrats on the females so far, good thing the PPP's female eh? sposed to strong,thats what i want to order next for my G room.

Oh and as for your broken stem, whack a bit of honey on and support it like a young plant falling over, use a skewer and string should work,done it heaps a times, even during flowering ,they pulled through.

I know youve been LSTing by tying etc, have you ever tried just using the "pinch" method for LST? where you just gently pinch the main stem every inch or so during veg untill you hear a little snap, repeat this over and it has a similar effect, all the lower growths grow out, works great and i use it for all my grows,easier then tying string everywhere or am i just lazy???lol.

just a thought. ill be watching

untill next time ,stay safe

8. Thanks for replying, Vicarious. :) Well, I just snapped the stem about an hour before dark period so I can't do anything with the plants until this evening when the light comes back on. I don't have any honey around here but I guess I'll borrow some from a friend or go to the store sometime today. I don't think the stem is snapped too badly, but that is the first time I've done that, so it scared me a bit. I'll try to get some honey during the day to put on the wound tonight... it's the sugars that help it heal, right?

Yes, I would like to see that link about the coco sog. I've seen a few members here using coco, but they have all been growing large plants.. so, seeing a sea of green coco grow would be nice to see so I know what to expect.

Within a day or two I'm going to try to take some clones from the known females so that I'll still have them around later.... just incase they turn out nice... never know what genetics lay within the bagseed.... lol

I don't think I'm going to be able to take any clones off of the PPP though. :( This plant never branched much at all for me. The only branches it has at all are on the very lowest nodes and they are only about an inch long... pretty small. So, I don't think I'll really be able to take any unless it branches out quickly during the next 2 weeks. Either way, I'm not really all that concerned considering the other nice seeds I have sitting around waiting to be grown... Since I can't clone the PPP, if I get any males I may try to pollinate a few lower buds on the PPP to somewhat keep its genetics around.. although it'll be a hybrid of that and the mystery bagseed. If anything, it will just be one more thing I get to experience and practice. I like to try everything as soon as possible so I learn from my mistakes and gain experience more quickly :] That's another reason why I'm going to try to take clones from the bagseed... for practice for next grow...

Oh, on another note. I've been told the Endless Sky phenos of the Morning Dew Spice & also the C4xBR are very, very pungent smelling. So, I'm going to need someone's help eventually on making an activated carbon filter to keep the smell down...

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to answer the other question. No, I haven't tried the pinching method. I haven't tried topping or FIMing either. I was just doing LST to help light get to all areas of the plants. I didn't necessarily want to slow growth down from the top main growth tip... just wanted the developing branches to get their share of light too. I will probably try topping/FIMing the next plants though, because they will be mothers for clones and I need them to have lotsa branches to give me plenty of babies to fill my space for the SOG. ;] Maybe I'll try pinching too... it's just I usually shy away from anything that seems like it is purposely damaging the plants lol I've heard about pinching but never seen anyone actually doing it or pictures showing it... if you want to show me, that would be cool... :]

9. yo TFH found it mate, click on that baby! and enjoy the show

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=10958,

not sure how the honey works , you might be right though about the sugars,

as for pinching it does no damage whatsoever, just makes the plant focus its growing energy to the lower growths giving you a nice and busy plant,with more even buds all over not just a big cola, just like LST without the training,keep an eye on my thread,ill be doing it in there :)

untill next time, stay safe

10. great read there. thanks for sharing. that's really interesting that he gets that large of plants with only 2 inch tall slabs, having the roots grow horizontally. seems like I should have gotten those slabs instead I think. oh well.

I'm also curious how this nirvana pure power plant compares to the dutch passion power plant, which it is obviously copied from... wonder if it's just an F2 or if it's a cross with something

well, I put honey on the wound this evening. it seemed like the stem had already been growing back together because it seemed stronger than it had been lastnight... but I just took a look at the plants just now before lights off and the leaves above where the stem had cracked are all wilting.... I sprayed them with water and hopefully they will perk back up.. I'll find out later tonight. if it don't look any better tonight I'll spray the upper leaves with thrive alive green to try to keep it healthy until the stem is fully healed back. I hope it heals or else I just lost roughly half of one of my females...

on a lighter note, lol the damn power plant keeps pulling its tie off and breaking free. I swear every other day I go back in there it has broke it's tie and going straight for the light lol she's a persistent bitch

it and the one with the broken stem are the two flowering most quickly. then the 3rd is only a little behind it. as for the other 3 that haven't shown sex, 2 of them are forming flowers and look like they will be female, but I'm still not positive about that... I may be able to tell in 3 days or so, and the last one is a bit slow and seems like it will probably take another 7 days or so before I'll be able to tell. I think I may end up with 6/6 females here though... so, I'm happy about that. I was hoping to try to go for 4 ounces, so with 6 females I should be able to get that easily I hope, but we'll see how many there are once I am sure. hell, even if I only got 3 ounces total I'd still be satisfied. I am waiting for my order from dr. chronic to get here. it should be within the next few days and that's when I'll start popping all the beans for next grow... yay

I'll be watching your thread to see how the pinching goes :] about how long each time does it take the plant to recover from a pinch and start working on upper growth again?

11. hey let me know how the PPP is going man, i've got 2 seedlings now and I have somewhat limited vertical space..do you think it's controllable with LST?

peace

12. yup, you can control it. it does like to grow straight up and not branch out much though, so I wish I had started LSTing it way earlier on so I would've gotten some branches off of it to use for clones. it's mainly sativa so it likes to keep growing a bit during flowering but if you LST it should be fine.

13. TFH, hope you enjoyed it, he puts on a great show, he loves his slabs too :)
    hope your injured girl perks up for ya soon,as for pinching recovery time, it doesnt actually stop the top from growing just slows it down rather and makes the lower side branching catch up, great form of LSTing (without the strings). just incase you were thinking that it stops all together, :) ive pinched two plants in my grow, i wont mention which ones and see if you can notice in time . we going to get some pics soon??? they tell 1000 words :)

untill next time stay safe

14. alright I'll try to take some pics soon. they aren't anything special though. the plants are pretty small. this was mainly a practice run to go through the motions with everything though and I've learned a lot. the yield will probably be pretty low, but I want to flower now to get this grow over with. as long as I end up with enough smoke to last me through the next grow then I'll be happy. 3 of the plants are still taking forever to show sex. hopefully they will soon

15. well, I went to take some pictures, but of course the batteries died right as I did that... so, I'm waiting for them to recharge right now. slightly disappointed... one of the plants I thought was female before is actually male. apparently I didn't look close before and what I thought had been pistils were really just skinny tips of those thin bud leaves. it's definitely male... I can see balls all over the top of it now. I'm actually considering trying to keep it alive in a separate area until so I can collect pollen to play around with pollinating some lower buds on the other plants, because this male looks to be either a pure sativa or atleast 75%.... all of the upper leaves are very narrow... I dig sativas, and who knows what this plant is. keep in mind some of the seeds I started came from a bag inwhich when I hit it from a gravity bong the shit made me see tons of closed eyed grainy visuals of random shapes and objects. this is the only time that's ever happened to me, and it's possible this plant came from one of those seeds, so who knows.. could be some great mexican sativa or haze plant... who knows?... but the point is I like sativas and the idea of playing around pollinating for some seeds sounds fun to me, so I just might do it.

anyways, despite the fact that that plant turned out being a male, I believe the rest are good to go. I've pulled all the plants out and closely examined them. I believe all 5 of the remaining plants are females. there's only one I'm iffy about because it's taking forever to go into flowering, but I'm pretty sure I saw two tiny pistils on a preflower... anyways 5 females out of 6 plants isn't bad at all, and even if the plant I'm iffy about is male, then 4 out of 6 is still good. too bad the male plant was the best looking one! it was the largest and had the most branches. to be honest my plants look pretty puny right now. I'm not expecting much yield at all even though they're under a 400w. oh well, I don't want to stall anything by revegging. I'm just going to flower and hope for the best since I want to start on my next grow and this time I should be able to avoid all the mistakes I made on the current grow.

I'll take some pictures when the batteries are charged.. maybe later tonight.

16. nice. you've got the mean backyard man...if i were you i'd set up a massive camo area with a nice WR or WW crop in the middle ;)

17. yo whats up fellow floridian... i know you wanted to see pics of my outdoor plants and i finally got them up.. its under another thread in grow journals titled FLA outdoor grow... go to the one that was started last night... it should be toward the top of grow journals... i know there's two FLA outdoor grows, but i had my buddy do it from his house and he just started a whole new thread... check it out man