Hero's Grow Quest Summer 2006

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by TheFxckingHero, May 28, 2006.

1. Picture 1: This is plant doing the best out of the ones that got nute burned. If you look closely at the lower leaves you can see some of the burning and crispy brown edges, but the new growth above looks good. :)

Picture 2: This is the Nirvana PPP. It was also one of the ones that got nute burned, but it's not doing that bad, but not very good either. It's hard to see in the picture but the leaves are yellowing quite a bit on the edges...

Picture 3: This is the worst of the nute burned plants. Most of the leaves in real bad shape are hidden below, but you can pretty clearly see the yellowing and discoloration up top, as well as really bad leaf curl problems. This is the oldest and most developed plant, but unfortunately also the one in worst condition right now. Part of the curling leaves is from the way it was tied down when I had it LST'd for a few days before releasing, because the leaves were kinda pressed down from the tie... but I don't know. It doesn't seem to be doing very well. :(

Picture 4: Another picture showing the worst nute burned plant and the so-so nute burned PPP.

Picture 5: Closer picture of that indica seedling. This one is developing really quickly... blowing way past the other seedlings. You can see it's already starting to push out its 4th node, but has virtually no vertical growth. Very wide and very squat... each set of leaves right on top of each other. I need to get this one into a bigger pot as soon as I get the chance/have space.

Can I have some feedback, guys? Would like to hear anything you've got to say.

Attached Files:

2. Oh, just wanted to mention I'm considering switching to 12/12 in about a week just so I can find out which plants are female, so I can clear out the males and make some space. Is it really that bad to do? Will it necessarily cause hermies by going 12/12 to sex and then reverting back to veg growth for a while? You can reveg plants after harvest almost the same way, and that doesn't seem to cause hermies, so... I'm not sure this would be that much of a problem, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say about it. I just know that I don't want to continue wasting valuable space growing out males, so the sooner I can get rid of them the better... My plants are still somewhat small height-wise, but they are over a month old and have a lot of nodes, so I think they would show sex fairly quickly if I put them on 12/12.

And if you have any ideas of how to help spring back the two nute burned plants that aren't doing so well, that would be nice to hear too. Thanks. :)

3. Now those look great!:)
    Good example of over-fertilizing.

4. too much light and ferts is making your plants look like that..
    rase the lights abit and give them ph adjusted water for a flush..

5. well, I already flushed them, tetra. I am just waiting for them to recover still. Right now they are about 20-22 inches below the light. Are you sure I should get them farther away? I heard 12 inches was best, which is much closer than I have them, but I can't do that at the moment. I figured around 20 inches would be okay, but I will get them farther away if necessary. about how far away from the light do you recommend? it's a 400w hps.

6. look good bud, if you got the space, go with the 400watt HPS 2 feet from the plant.. would def. help the grow

FLEX

7. Well, I checked and apparently the light was a bit closer than I had thought. It was more like 17 inches.. I've raised it to about 21. I suppose maybe they were getting too much light over the last month? I'm in a rush to get a shower and go pick up the girlfriend at the moment, but later tonight I will try to raise the light another 3 inches to put it at 24'' (2 feet). I hope the damaged plants are okay soon. I wasn't aware I had the light too close before. I had heard that between 12-16 inches was best, but maybe that's for later when they are larger and in flowering. I feel kinda bad for the plants. Ahh, I hope they'll be okay. :( I think my 400w is around 50,000 lumens.. maybe up to 55,000. How many lumens would this be at 2 feet from the bulb?

8. yeah i would never have the HPS 12-16 inches from the plant unless it was very established (ie, 12 inch+ with many node gaps and branch junctions) as well as having an established canaopy to absorb all that light. you are bombarding the poor little guys with more light then they can absorb which may be causing the problem. then again, it may be nutrient related. try and get it to 24'' and see if in a week, they are doing better. i have a strong feeling thats the problem

FLEX

9. Well, the girlfriend had to run some errands before I go to pick her up for the night, so that gave me a little more time to dick around with the light. It's about 2 feet away from the tops of the plants now. The burned plants look terrible right now... :( Man, I really fucked up here. I bet if I had the light the proper distance from the beginning these month old plants would be over a foot tall and healthy now. I took the CFL's out of there as I don't need them now that the field of light got bigger from raising the light and the lamps take up too much space. I might try to just return the CFL's, because I'm not so sure they'll be that useful to me. I think a 2 foot flourescent shop light from a hardware store would be a lot more convenient for clones and seedlings later... Can you even return lightbulbs? I don't think they will be able to tell I've used them, but I'm not sure. I suppose I'll just say I got the wrong ones and maybe they'll let me since I just got them yesterday. They might make it only so I can exchange them though... I don't know...

Oh, and I'd still like somebody to answer my question about early sexing them so I can free up some space. Here, I'll quote it here:

10. this can induce hermies, but i wouldnt do it now with "burnt" plants. wait till they are a little healthier, then switch from 18/6 to 12/12 for 2 weeks and you should see sex signs showing. kill your males and then flip back to 18/6.. this is high stress on the plants (thats why i suggest you wait) or you could cause em to herm...which is even worse :(

good luck man

FLEX

11. Okay, well if you want my opinion as a whole, I think you're trying a bit too hard to do everything possible. The best rule you can follow on a first grow is to keep it simple. Now, breathe a deep breath and relax because you've got everything you need for a great grow and the plants are certainly not beyond repair. Some of them are looking nice and bushy, and the seelings are coming up nicely.

Now, getting more specific:

Don't fret about not getting the MH conversion bulb. I've always veg'd under HPS and they come out fine.

The plants - I'm not convinced that heat had anything to do with it. Yes, excessive heat (or the bulbs being too close) could cause burn and problems like this, but I think it's probably more chemical than physical burn. I think you probably hit the plants with too much stuff too early on (especially the epsom salts). Like I said, they're quite sensitive when they're young. Once they get a bit older they're much hardier.

What I would do it flush the plants with plenty of water. Forget about adding any special additives to the soil for this grow, and just feed them a nice conservative amount of one good fertiliser until they're back on their feet.

With the lights - 2' is probably okay for the bigger plants, with a 400W. I have my 600Ws about 2'6" away when they're about that big. As long as the air temperature is reasonable they should be okay...

With the space situation - prioritise the bigger plants, the seedlings don't need that much light yet. The little uns are never going to catch the bigger ones up, and the bigger ones will soon swamp the grow space anyway, even if you only get 2 females say. When they do finally fill all the space (which they;re far from doing yet) you might want to think about which of the little ones you're going to put outside. Remember, less plants doesn't neccesarily mean less weed...

I think you'll still have a good grow, just relax and let the plants grow on their own. Just give them time and let nature do it's cause without too much help.

12. Thanks for the pep talk, arse. You're a nice guy. lol I've calmed down a bit now. :] It just stresses me out when there's problems after putting forth so much effort into this. I have them at two feet away now... I have already flushed them, so now all I can do is wait and take care of them only when they need it I suppose. Before I had them about 17 inches away from the bulb, and I did the hand test under the light and I didn't feel any discomfort on my hand at the level of the plants, but maybe my hands are not as sensitive as the leaves... I don't know.

I am positive I over-fertilized some a bit, but I suppose the lights may have been a problem too... considering an 8 node plant was only at 5 or 6 inches, where I've seen others with the same amount of nodes on plants over a foot tall.... oh well. What was your stance on early sexing them, arse? I know that you don't do it with your grows, but you don't have space limitations either. You think I should sex them so I can toss the males and free up space or just wait and keep on pressing on until they show sex on their own?

13. i agree with arse...the burn looked light lights at first but when you explaned wattage and distance of lights its cleare its not..the claw leaf thats showing is too much N..so do what arse has already sead..sit back and relax... ;)

14. Hey, guys. Good news... all the plants are showing healthy green new growth. I think backing the light off them a bit is actually helping out a lot. They definitely had been over fertilized... but the light probably was too close before as well, as I could see some plants that were not affected by nute burn below started having some burning on the top leaves.. which must mean they were starting to get a little too close to the light... but now the light is about 22-24 inches above the tops of the plants, and they seem to like that much better. oh, and the "leaf claw" is going away on that one plant... the curling leaves are straightening back out. also noticed that the branches on a few of them are really starting to take off... I'll take some pics in a few days of some hopefully healthy, recovering plants. :)

15. Good news :) And like I said, as they get bigger they will get stronger and won't react so quickly to small environmental changes.

As for sexing... I don't know. Putting plants into flower and then back into veg never sounded like a great idea to me (filling a plant with hormones temporarily is bound to stress it), and would certainly add to the grow time. Personally I'd say just grow them all until you flower and see, but that's all I know so I'm biased. You can let them overlap each other no problems, just try to let the little branches up through the canopy by pushing the big fan leaves under them - this will maximise growth in the areas that are going to end up holding the buds anyway. They'll still fill out all the available space in flowering even if they're restricted a bit in veg.

16. Hey Hero.

So far you have been getting great information from the others except the part about causing a hermie by going to 12/12 back to 18/6. While it does waste a little bit of time and energy and MIGHT slightly stress the plant, it will NOT cause hermies.

In fact, check this out. I have two cloning mothers about six months old. One is Durga Mata the other some bag seed indica. When the two were young I had to keep them in the dark for 4-5 days straight because we had company. They got super stretched out. They are currently about 6 months old and during that time they have gone from CFL's to the HPS and back and forth. I also sometimes have to put them under 12/12 for a few days back to 24/7 to 18/6 switching back and forth. Guess what, neither of them has gone hermie and they both provide great clones time after time.

Anyway, I think your plants are a bit young to put into 12/12 at this point and since they are still struggling from the burn out, all the more reason to wait a while. Hey, how did they get fert burned anyway?

Edit: Never mind. They got burned because you fed too early.

17. Nah, they weren't too young... they needed some nitrogen. I just gave them a bit too much. Some were more sensitive than others apparently. Also think that the light was a little too close as well. 5 of the plants are around 35 days old and the other bigger one is about 10 days behind... many of them are on the 8th or 9th node, which is the amount of nodes other people have been able to sex their plants... I think they would show sex under 12/12 just fine. I don't want to flower them, but finding out the sex to clear out males would be nice. Anyways, I think I have decided on doing the paper bag method to sex the plants.. covering a branch to put that single branch on 12/12. I'll probably start doing that in a couple of days or maybe a week or two.

Then, at that time I'll also decide exactly what I want to do with the seedlings, and after finding out how many females I've got out of the 6 will repot them into their final homes... I've got some pretty large pots around, but I've been thinking about filling up a 30 gallon rubbermaid and putting a cardboard divider in the middle and having two plants in there with 15 gallons of space for each of them. I haven't decided yet, but I definitely want to get them plenty of room for the roots.

18. I never said they would cause a hermie, just that it would likely increase stress on the plants :confused:

But anyway... high stress in plants is liable to cause a higher proportion of hermies, and since the plants have been through enough already with the nute burn I'd advise taking the low-stress route if possible.

19. Don't worry about it guys. I've decided to do the light tight bag over a branch method for sexing, so the stress will be minimal if any.

Anyways, I've got some new pictures! I was bored, so I decided I would take 2 of the healthiest looking plants out into natural color lighting for some pictures. These are looking pretty good I think.

Sorry about the order of the pics. I had to make the side view pictures sideways to fit the dimension limitations this forum has, so I had to upload those again and it threw off the order.

Plant 1
    Picture 1: This plant is nice to look at... very symmetrical. It is a little bit short because it fell over out of the pot and was uprooted early in its life and its growth got stunted for a few days, but it looks very healthy to me, and getting very bushy. Oh, that chunk of leaf missing at the top isn't due to any pests or burn problems. I just accidentally tore it off one day when it got trapped between two seedling cups.

Picture 3: Here's a side view, showing all the branching and soon to be thick bush.

Plant 2
    Picture 2: Top view of the second plant... you can see some very slight burning on the edges of a few leaves, but it's still in good shape. This one was on the outskirts of the lighting for a while, so it is slightly more stretched than the others, but the node spacing is still much more compact than outdoor plants of this age.

Picture 4: Side view showing its height and also pretty bushy like the other plant.

I'll take some more pictures of the rest of the plants in probably 5-7 days when they're more pleasing to the eye as they develop enough new growth to cover up the over-fertilized lower halves.

What do you guys think of these two plants? Everything lookin' okay?

Attached Files:

20. No arseface, you never said the hermie thing, flex said it. Hero if you are talking about putting those tiny seedlings into flower, it won't work. Of all the plants I see in your pictures maybe two of them are ready. The majority of the others look to be cotyledons and can't be sexed yet. Here are the criteria for sexing (1) at least 12 inches tall or (2) alternating node spacing (which usually happens at 12 inches +). When they reach that point, the bag method will work great.