Hermies what to do

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by boodist, May 9, 2009.

1. Okay, so I think I stressed out my plant and it now has lots of dense buds all female and some buds with seeds - question: can I pick all the seeded buds out and keep or just toss and keep other females safe???

BTW the hermie never had any male flowers just seeds...
    Thanks for the help

2. Well a hermi is both male and female. So it's impossible for a female to get seeds without a male. Unless the plant is Jesus;)

So the hermi must have pollen sacks or, you have another male in your grow.

3. Seeds won't magically start growing on your female plant unless it is pollenized by a male/hermie plant. You need to find the plant that is releasing pollen to stop the source of the seeds. Males have little balls that grow on them instead of the female flowers which include pistils (hairs). As the little balls mature, they open into flowers that release yellow pollen. You can pick these flowers off very gently without releasing any pollen. You can also keep the pollen and use a paint brush to paint it onto the pistils of a female plant to make your own seeds for use in the future.

4. The flowers had to be on the one plant as the others are definitely pure female. But I have read different threads on hermies - some people say pick the seeds, others say toss it.

Have you tried picking the seeds and keeping the plant?

5. The same plant had the male flowers, or at least that is what I think - I was out of town and came back to find this one plant with both female hairs and seeds - so the seeds had to come from the male sacks on the same plant polinating the female. But not every bud is polinated, only a few.

All other plants in room are female i have checked with a 30x loop and only see the one hermie which had to have male sacks on it. All other females in rooms are still good and going strong.

Has anyone ever kept a hermie from polinating the rest of the crop? I just don't want to take a chance and am ready to pull it.

6. Hey mate,

I had this happen though you'll find it could likely happen to most of that strain if its the first time youve grown it. (thats also what mine did) I used it to cross with another strain with different qualities. Shit happens but if you can make something good out of it then go for it. check my thred out dude if you wanna know a bit more.

Try cross her with something nice mate, this is how you get feminised seeds.

When a female turned hermie plant pollenates another female plant of a different strain it creates a seed and only has female chromosomes to choose from and as a result you get feminised seeds. The seeds that result from the strain self pollenating itself will generally turn hermie although some could be females.

I've got my x going now - Camabis no1 haha :)

http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/388031-so-i-crossed-my-first-strains.html

7. I'd say "find the balls and chop 'em off" but since u already have seeds there's nothing u can do. :( BUT! As cammac said, if you can find the hermie, use it's pollen to create feminised seeds! :D Make your own hybrid! :)

What's the strain u are growing?

8. I've got a hermie or two, not from pollen, from light leaks or other stress. One of 3 turned hermie and got seeds near the end on one grow. IMO if you know theres no male around spreading pollen than keep it, still smokable just have to pick out the seeds. Seeds I got from it where almost all female, the ones I've sprouted...

9. My experience with hermies is that once they hermie a little they will hermie big-time soon. If it is your only plant and if it has enough bud on it to be worth saving AND it only has one or two nutsacks then I'd rip them off and flush it pronto. If you have more girls sharing the space I think I would chop the hermy immediatly. When my first plant hermied a single nutsack appeared on the second node. I flushed and by the time they were done flushing the plant was covered with nutsacks throughout, even in the main cola which had definitely been clean a couple of weeks earlier, far too many to try and control.

10. i totally got rid of the plant as it kept getting sacks - will try again and hopefully not stress it this time.