Hermies? Need help identifying before I cut em early

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by skinny ninja, Jan 7, 2016.

1. #1 skinny ninja, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
    Im trying to create some seeds for myself and I noticed a few problems today after a thorough trimming of fan leaves.

First off I have a Jack Herer clone which is pictured in the first two photos. I suspected it was a hermie about a week ago, but it was a little early on so I gave it some time.

The last two pictures are of a male ChemdawgXHaze plant that I was hoping to breed with. That is the only part of the plant that appears to have pistils, the rest is strong male pollen sacs. Ive heard its possible for males to turn hermie, but much rarer. This is the one I'm most concerned with, is it a hermie or can males produce a small amount of pistils too?

IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1800.jpg

2. #2 skinny ninja, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
    After digging around some forums, Ive read that some respected breeders consider males that produce a bit of pistils to be excellent males to breed with. Most of the people who have used these males report a mix of male and female offspring with little hermie traits. Most the naysayers seem to only be going off word of mouth, so fuck it I'm gonna keep that one going and see what happens.

3. That's pretty cool to see. I hope it works out for you bro!

4. Well, hermie is not the better option of plant but if it interest for you that's nice. Good luck.

5. Those balls will pollinate the rest of the crop if they pop. If you are cool with that so you can get your self a shit load of seeds then keep going. If you are looking to have any kind of decent harvestable bud though i would chop its balls off.

6. I'd just grow it out and hope for seeds, I use herm seeds and like 90% of the time they're female with 5% hermies and 5% males. I let a hermie go this batch and as far as I can tell the male sacs popped and fell off long before the buds were developed so nothing got pollinated.

7. Thanks for the responses guys. Im not really doing this run for bud, I was much more fixated on creating seeds from the start because I may not be able to keep mother plants around if situations change for me.

Im definitely chopping the Jack Herer, I removed it from my tent last night. It went from female to hermie very easily and I don't want a completely unstable batch of seeds as a result, which sucks because that's actually my favorite strain and I looked for a while to get that clone.
    I'm keeping the ChemDXHaze male though. Im really interested in seeing what will come of it, and some pollen sacs already burst open so I'm fucked anyways haha. I figured it was going to hermie because I've heard Pure Haze is fairly unstable and mutates often, and that ChemD was likely created in an accidental hermie pollination. I have two female ChemDXHaze plants going strong without problems though.
    One of my plans was to create F2s, F3s, and so on to see if any gems can be found in the Haze genetics, so if what I've read about males that hermie is true then this could be a blessing in disguise.