hermied males

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by budalushious, Mar 24, 2012.

1. I was wondering has anyone ever had a male plant turn hermie? Just wondering I have never heard of it happening.........is there a way to induce hermie trait in a male?

2. LOki did it for shits and giggles.

cannot think of any reason to do this though. the seeds would be predominantly (if not 100%) male

3. I guess what I was thinking was if I could hermie this male (rocklock) then clone the female part.............what would I have? ........An unstable mess?

4. not sure you understand how this particular mutation works..

there will not be a part of the plant "that is only girl". It will have Pistils and Stamens on the same flower clusters....

5. Male hermies are rare, but they do exist, but since a majority of growers eliminate males at the first sign of "nanners", we seldom see them.

A male hermie would be very useful for hemp growers, since it is the male plant that produces the higher quality of fiber. Seed that would produce mostly or all males would be welcomed! :hello:

And dudes, males DO produce THC! It is a "stoner myth", that they are "worthless"! The amount depends on the strain. In Morocco, landrace (native strains) males and female plants produce the same levels of THC! :eek:

Cultivation of Cannabis sativa L. in northern Morocco. (abst – 2005)
    [FONT=&quot]Cultivation of Cannabis sativa L. in northern Moro... [Bull Narc. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI[/FONT]

In addition, the present study establishes that male plants, often considered deficient in delta-9-THC, contain levels of the same order as those recorded for female plants, both in the leaves and in the tops.

Also, even the male's pollen contains THC!

Flavonoid glycosides and cannabinoids from the pollen of Cannabis sativa L.
    (abst - 2005)
    Flavonoid glycosides and cannabinoids... [Phytochem Anal. 2005 Jan-Feb] - PubMed - NCBI

Now these dudes are not just lighting one up and judging how stoned they got! :smoking: They were actually measuring the levels of THC!

So don't toss that male, dry it and make some brownies at the least! You may find yourself to be quite pleasantly surprised! :D

Granny :wave: