Hermie: The Making Of

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Hosbitalized, Dec 29, 2006.

1. while doing my research on this site so i could start my 1st grow (im gonna start my journal of it soon, i have 4 plants about 2 inches tall right now and im really excited) i came across a few pages dealing with hermies

what i know is this

-hermies happen when a plant is stressed and freaks out and tries to ensure the survival of its DNA by making its own pollen and pollenating itself. This causes the bad effect of seeds in the buds, but the wonderful thing we call femmed seeds

so what im asking is how would i go about stressing out my plant to make it go hermie without killing it so that i can have all female seeds for my next few grows?

i was thinking about 1-pot too small, 2-messed up light schedule during flowering, and 3-underwatering. Any thoughts would be great

2. *bump* im curious

3. the small pot will prolly just stunt the growth.

if you do do this, as many have before... wait till the buds are almost done flowering prior to messing with the lights, so you can get a good amount of bud off the plants along with the seeds.

To your dismay, this quickly has become "dead tech" like the pager to the cell phone. Now everyone just clones the shit outta their plants. That way growing is quciker

4. Put a plant into 12/12 light way before it is ready to be in 12/12, it will get stressed and possibly become a hermie, i had the same idea you have, but my seeds failed, and my co-worker stole my other ones.

Put it into 12/12 in vegitation, then the plant will become confussed with itself and try to produce bolth sexes in a attempt to fertilize itself.

5. plants are always ready to go into 12/12...

the main thing is you want to stress it after the buds have formed, that way you get buds and your seeds.

Or grow a mother and clone off it, quicker and easier!

6. thanks alot for the advice, i had kind of overlooked cloning. odd that i did considering its a win win situation. Garunteed females and no seedy buds. Still might try to make a hermie just as an experiment. +rep dude

7. Breaking the stalk and bending it 90 degrees usually works. If that doesnt you can try doing less than 12 hours of light for a few days.