Hermie seeds?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by nlftw, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Honestly didn't think any of these seeds would harden and look viable when growing and trimming. Now that I'm curing these seeds are popping out everywhere. These seeds were from 2 clones that got stressed due to low temps. Are they worth saving at all? Anyone know what the fem. To herm. Would be if I planted them?

2. 50/50...so all you gotta do is plant all of them...raise them all...and harvest them all to get buds that dont have seeds

Not worth it to me...but that's just me. Best of luck

L.

3. Maybe I'll just keep to throw outside, worst case free hash. Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. Well that's thinking on the bright side!

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 zippy657, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013
    What the fuck lol??  nothing about this seems right to me. usually you can see before harvest if your plant puts off male flowers... and why would half have seeds?? they would all likely have some seeds even if only one threw balls... and nanners rarely lead to seeds.

First of all if they were stressed into throwing male flowers then they will be 100% female offspring... 50% of them will carry whatever predisposition allowed the flowers to form, (be it sensitivity to light cycle, ph, or whatever you think you did to stress them) and thats only if they were not clones from the same plant.  If they were clones from the same plant then they are essentially S1 selfie seeds and will all carry this predisposition.

That being said, if stress caused it the first time, it would take stress to bring it out in the next generation, so if you treat them right then your seeds will almost certainly sprout viable females.  

• Like Like x 1
  6. ^thats the answer I was looking for ;) much appreciated. Km going to plant them and watch them like I would any other plant. I have corrected my grow environment. The new plants I have in there now are doing great. Thanks again! I guess no need to buy seeds for a while!!! :DSent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

:wave: Greetings nl:  I'm far from a seasoned grower, but I did read in more than one place that odds are that seeds from a hermie will only produce more hermies.  Take that with a gram of weed - grain of salt - same thing.  Just kidding.  Anywho, I'm faced with a cold problem also right now, and was wondering how cold did it get to stress them out?  And what was the strain?  I'v heard of growers getting seeds without noticing male sacks and that always bothered me.  WTF, just don't make sense.  I have a bit of researching to do I suppose.  
    Happy Holiday
    Sky 

8. [quote name="SkyKing65" post="19222362" timestamp="1387901682"]:wave: Greetings nl: I'm far from a seasoned grower, but I did read in more than one place that odds are that seeds from a hermie will only produce more hermies. Take that with a gram of weed - grain of salt - same thing. Just kidding. Anywho, I'm faced with a cold problem also right now, and was wondering how cold did it get to stress them out? And what was the strain? I'v heard of growers getting seeds without noticing male sacks and that always bothered me. WTF, just don't make sense. I have a bit of researching to do I suppose. Happy HolidaySky [/quote]I've read that many places too but ultimately I liked ziipy's Answer. They were taken from clone and only hermd because of the cold, day/night temp drop. Just like zippy said if I corrections were made to solve my cold problem there would be no reason for the new plants from those seeds to Hermie unless stressed the same way the original mothers were.To answer your question my day / night temp drop was over 30 degrees. Things dipped below 40 during night cycle and went as low as 60 lights on. I corrected this by putting my exhaust from my veg RM and put into my flower RM. It boosted my temps 10-15 degrees. There is now around a 20-25 degree day night difference. I read 18 is good number

• Like Like x 1
  9. Also if u have a cold problem make sure you have a eagle eye while inspecting buds for male parts or manners. It only took like a week for shit to get bad.Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have no idea where this myth came from but it makes no sense.  I have twice had light cycles cause some male flowers and never had a problem with any of the offspring from at least 8 mothers.  

There are certain cases where plants are full on genetic hermies... meaning nomatter how you treat it, it just grows both organs... from what i gather this was the case often in field grows, which resulted in what we call brick weed or whatever.  those seeds are often from pollen originating from plants scattered in the field of unrefined genetics which were naturally hermaphroditic.  people growing these seeds would have a hard time because at least half of them would turn out he/shes, but i think this understanding somehow got mashed into hermie hate in an attempt to stop those genetics from infiltrating the modern gene pool.  

Feminized seeds are created using colloidal silver, which stresses the females into throwing male flowers wherever the quick silver is sprayed.  this pollen is then used on other females of the same strain resulting in offspring with only female alleles. 

Bottom line is that stress causing male flowers is much different from hermie genetics.  its like saying that a father who was disfigured by polio early in life will contribute mutant genes to his son or something... the only relatable trait passed on would be a predisposed weakness to infectious disease, if there was one.  The child, if kept clear of polio virus, should never have a problem.  I believe nearly every female mj plant out there can be stressed into putting off male flowers. its a survival mechanism in cannabis... and it absolutely does not affect the genetic contribution made to the next generation.

• Like Like x 2
    Ah, Yes, I'm feeling a bit better now about my own grow area - I don't expect it to get below 60F with lights off.  I may use my space heater, but only if the plant tells me to.  Thanx for the response, helpful answers.  Sorry I wasn't of more help to you.
    Enjoy
    Sky

12. [quote name="zippy657" post="19222667" timestamp="1387905747"]I have no idea where this myth came from but it makes no sense. I have twice had light cycles cause some male flowers and never had a problem with any of the offspring from at least 8 mothers. There are certain cases where plants are full on genetic hermies... meaning nomatter how you treat it, it just grows both organs... from what i gather this was the case often in field grows, which resulted in what we call brick weed or whatever. those seeds are often from pollen originating from plants scattered in the field of unrefined genetics which were naturally hermaphroditic. people growing these seeds would have a hard time because at least half of them would turn out he/shes, but i think this understanding somehow got mashed into hermie hate in an attempt to stop those genetics from infiltrating the modern gene pool. Feminized seeds are created using colloidal silver, which stresses the females into throwing male flowers wherever the quick silver is sprayed. this pollen is then used on other females of the same strain resulting in offspring with only female alleles. Bottom line is that stress causing male flowers is much different from hermie genetics. its like saying that a father who was disfigured by polio early in life will contribute mutant genes to his son or something... the only relatable trait passed on would be a predisposed weakness to infectious disease, if there was one. The child, if kept clear of polio virus, should never have a problem. I believe nearly every female mj plant out there can be stressed into putting off male flowers. its a survival mechanism in cannabis... and it absolutely does not affect the genetic contribution made to the next generation.[/quote]I wish I knew this when my buddy had the same thing happen and he gave me a million purp seeds. I chucked them after reading so many ppl say Chuck em.

13. just because you like zippys answer doesnt mean his results are gonna work the same for you...if your plant hermies late in flower and it has the potential hermie gene then the offsping of that mother have a 50/50 chance of being hermie...it plain and simple...im not saying if you got 100 seed and you picked 50 of them, you "cant" be lucky enough for them to be all feminized...someone could be lucky enough to grow hermie seed thier whole lives with out them throwing nanners at them and be perfectly fine...

theyre your seeds bro...you can plant them all, throw them away, or eat them. and you have a right to your own opinion, so its all good baby baybae...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Again, wrong for 2 reasons.  First, it would have a 50/50 chance of carrying the particular predisposition to hermaphroditic stress response that caused the male flowers in the mother plant... not a 50/50 chance of being herm.  If the pollen contributing hermie had a 0% chance of throwing male flowers absent an external stress, then the offspring have this same 0% chance.  Second, if these clones are both of the same mother plant, then they all have the trait in question to varying degrees of recessive/dom expression.  not half of them.

Since they were clones to begin with, i would imagine someone else grew this plant out and was satisfied with the results, so im saying odds are very good that this is case #1 here and if treated correctly 100% of these seeds (while carrying the original vulneranbility of which every plant probably carries dozens) will do nothing but act like female S1s

No opinion stated really...