Hermi pollinating itself

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by ReallyRed, Nov 19, 2010.

1. so, what with my girl turning out to be a lady-boy (light shock and it's a fem seed source) i am planning on growing hir out anyway but my patient (the person i'm "apprenticing" with and growing in his garden) suggested to try letting it pollinate itself and use the seeds.

seems he's of the mind that it'll produce feminized seeds but with a lower viability ratio than you'd get from two separate plants (if one was hermi.)

i've been searching and maybe my google-fu is not strong but i've been getting conflicting information. one place says "Yes, fem seeds ahoy" while others are "no, bad beans will be your reward."

i am planning on keeping hir going anyway. waste not want not and all that. if i'm on top of the male flowers i can maybe get some decent bud from it while i wait to sex out another potential mother plant (aiming for hashberry, non-fem from mandala seeds.) and of course, i'm going to keep these seeds and pollen separate (i don't want to muck up hashberry's genetics with a wild-card like this lady-boy.)

but, can you blades whom have more experience than me clarify this? is this something that's not so bad to do or is breeding a she-male with itself a waste of time & effort?

and at the very least, will they produce viable seeds? (if it helps, she's a "grapefruit." om nom nom!)

2. Hermie = hermie seeds ;)

3. #3 ReallyRed, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
    but they will be viable, no?

a little more (since i think it might be relevant.)

the seed i had popped for this girl grew just fine and i was able to get the clone made for flowering... now, since i was able to sex it properly i was growing it out... but... guy's cat decided to get a little TOO interested and the stock that this one came from died of shock (too few leaves to sustain it's life. damn cat, i hope the high was worth it...)

as a result, my guy decided to put it back into veg... that is what i think the stress from the lights are from. that and i wasn't keen on flipping back to flowering since i know enough not to stress the plant out with constant changing of the light cycle (she was in flower for about a week and a half and was showing no signs of nuts up until recently... and it was about two days after going back to veg that i found out he flipped her back..)

and the assumption that the genetics are feminized is that i've been searching and the grapefruit strain seems to be sold more as a fem seed (though i have found some places that sell non-fem.)

so, that's kinda the sticky bit i've gotten into. though, once the hashberry gets going, that's going to be my main girl (fingers crossed.)

4. from my understanding the seeds will grow. the down side is you know that plant hermied and to use the pollen from it chances are you are going to end up with more hermies. but you could try a few and see what happens but I wouldn't get my hopes up. :eek:

5. From what I've always understood(not that I may not be wrong because I have no real world experience) is that a hermi that pollinates another FEMALE would yeild all fem seeds. Not just seeds from a hermi.

• Like Like x 1

6. thats correct, you really dont want the ones from the hermied mom........

• Like Like x 1
  7. A hermie pollinating itself is basically making a clone. So you know the one plant hermied whether it was genetic or through stress. Do you want another one like it?

8. I have been reading this thread as it is the one place I have been able to find anything on this. BTW, am new to here and growing.

I do have a question about self-pollinating(?). From what I have been able to find, this is one way of getting feminized seeds. You force a female to hermaphrodite and pollinate a female flower and it seeds. The seeds then have fem/fem parents.

If I were to force an female to hermie (did I get that expression correct?) with either stress or colloidal silver, it isn't supposed to change the genetics of the plant, just produce all feminized seeds,right?

If this is the case, can you just spray the silver on one or two flowers and leave the rest to flower normally, and use the pollen on those so that it produces feminized seeds on the same plant?

Finally, can you do it on an auto-flowering female?

9. When using colloidal silver you cannot safely use the plant for smoking or consumption, only harvest the pollen for seeding a different plant.

PW

10. If mom is a hermie, whether you self pollinate or pollinate a different plant, the chances of getting a subsequent hermies increase. I had a hermie and it ruined an entire crop. I tossed the 100's of seeds it produced. That being said, several months later I had a sprout come up in one of my 15gal no-till pots. I let it go and check every day for signs of male flowers. It's still going now and I have no Idea when it should finish as it was started 12/12 from seed. Its in my flower tent.