hermaphrodites

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Young peezy, Jan 16, 2012.

1. This may be a very stupid but here we go. If a female plant can be stressed at any stage of growth to become hermaphrodite, could a male be stressed to turn hermie too?

2. wanna say no if it could to much work not worth it

3. Um... What?

4. Males potentially can hermie, yes. We rarely see it because males tend to get yanked at first sign of showing sex. But it would not be a good way to try to "salvage" a male, if that's what you are thinking.

5. [quote name='"toastybiz"']Males potentially can hermie, yes. We rarely see it because males tend to get yanked at first sign of showing sex. But it would not be a good way to try to "salvage" a male, if that's what you are thinking.[/quote]

Thats exactly what I was thinking. My theory was if a male plant produces no bud, and usually get tossed. What if I induced stress and got him to become hermie. The buds would not be potent but they would be bud none the less and you may also get seeds as well. And to my understanding hermies produce mostly female seeds so that would be a good reason to try to salavage a male instead of wasting a perfectly healthy plant.

6. If you had no other option and it was your only plant it wouldn't be a bad idea.

7. If you buy feminized seed no chance of males if avoiding males so you don't have to rip it out is your concern. As you drift away from the original strain seed wise different phenos can start to emerge.

8. I know rhapsody, i too would prefer to just buy feminized seeds but I was just thinking about it because I tossed 3 males and if I could have benefited from them in any way that would have been cool. Many of us quite often stumble across a couple seeds and have a failed attempt because the seed becomes male. See what I'm thinking is if skunk crossed with blueberry would give you skunk berry. Then say skunk turned hermie would be skunk crossing with skunk and either give you less potent or more potent SEEDS , but skunk none the less. What do I know though I'm hew to this. Couldn't be that much different than bio40 though

9. Give it a whirl and make a grow journal on it!!!

For myself I just buy fem seeds. The cost of seeds is all made up in whatever harvests I have.

10. yes, I had a male that was thrown outside to die, to my surprise when I went out there later month the top started showing girl even though the rest of the plant had balls on it. I would have to say these guys are right no need to try and salvage it.

11. I thought feminised seeds were just regular females pollenated by herms?

12. [quote name='"Mixted"']yes, I had a male that was thrown outside to die, to my surprise when I went out there later month the top started showing girl even though the rest of the plant had balls on it. I would have to say these guys are right no need to try and salvage it.[/quote]

What was the end result of your hermie?

13. essentially yes, but there is more to it than that.

14. death by wood chipper, I thought the cold was going to kill shim but only stressed enough to change. I had other plants going and did not want pollen all over.

15. I'm going to experiment with these hermies (if I ever come across one). I have 4 females and I too got rid of the males as soon as I saw the balls. Sorry for the weird question it was the theoretical part if me speaking. Thanks for the answers though.

16. My only issue with hermies is that , they hermie...at the worst fucking time too..like in the middle of the night a tiny flower opens and it's so jammed in there , and I don't even have enough time in the day to search through ten plants for male flowers..
    I kill em on the spot now because rtheyre the reason at the very end of the grow you realize your seeing seeds in your buds and that's a total nightmare IMO..

If a plant is stressed to hermie not just hermies by itself, does that mean it already had the hermie trait? Or can it be a stricktly stress induced male flower having nothing to do with genetics?..if it's strictly stress induced then those would be great seeds...but if any hermie means it had the gene regardless, then I want nothing to do with em.

17. [quote name='"Numbnutts"']My only issue with hermies is that , they hermie...at the worst fucking time too..like in the middle of the night a tiny flower opens and it's so jammed in there , and I don't even have enough time in the day to search through ten plants for male flowers..
    I kill em on the spot now because rtheyre the reason at the very end of the grow you realize your seeing seeds in your buds and that's a total nightmare IMO..

If a plant is stressed to hermie not just hermies by itself, does that mean it already had the hermie trait? Or can it be a stricktly stress induced male flower having nothing to do with genetics?..if it's strictly stress induced then those would be great seeds...but if any hermie means it had the gene regardless, then I want nothing to do with em.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I would hate to be in the final stages and see seeds growing everywhere. I mean I probably wouldn't mind I'd honestly probably just throw them in soil and plug the timer back in hahaha.