Hermaphrodites

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by purple floyd, Apr 19, 2008.

1. I searched every where on here and could not find anything about hermaphrodites. i have a plant that is in its second week of flowering. the lower half is growing female sex parts but then there is a stretch of stem and the upper half is growing male sex parts.

i think i remember hearing something about plants switching sexes if something tramatic happens to it.

could this be the case or is it just a hermaphrodite?

2. sounds like a hermi, stress during veg and interruption during the flowering light cycle can cuase this also light leaks if you can handle this and have a good hand start cutting the male pollen sacks off and you will get little to no seeded bud, and it will still bud out nicely.

3. If what you are saying is true, it is a herm. What you are calling "switching sexes" is just another term for hermaphroditism (they are not two different things).

Search for herm or hermie for more info.

4. Stress can cause a plant to hermie and genetics can do it too.

5. If I cut the top part with all of the male sex parts compleatly off and just leave the bottom with the female parts will it stay female from then on?

6. If it stands alive, yes.
    But big chance it will be stressed again, and again produce maleparts.