Hermaphrodites

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Rodinia, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,
        I would like to get everyone's opinion on the frequency of hermaphroditic plants and how much of a factor it is to most people.  I recently had 3 out of 10 plants from my recent harvest turn into hermaphrodites in the later days of flowering.  The 3 that turned were all the same strain and none of the other strains turned but where lightly pollinated anyway.  Needless to say I am not continuing with that particular strain.  i contacted the clone source and they confirmed other people had issues as well.  After I discovered this I was very dissapointed, although it happened right near harvest time so there are maybe 3-5 seeds in each ounce of material, and most of them are small and underdeveloped, so i suppose it couldve been worse.
       After discussing it with another grower and numerous smokers a few things have come up.  One person tells me it happens all the time and he often gets buds with a seed here and there from dispenseries.  I myself have gotten a seed in bud from a dispenseary.  I now scrupulously inspect every bud I come across for swollen calyxes and in just about every time, from dispeseries and fellow growers, I find some little developing seeds in there.  But i have to dig for em.  There arent many and would ordinarily be overlooked.  So I'm starting to think that this happens alot more often than people realize.  Furthermore the other smokers I've discussed it with dont really seem to be concerned about it if there are only a few seeds in an oz. of material and it still gets em high.  To me seeded crops are unacceptable...so what is everyones experience and opinion on this?

2. With an elitist attitude, you will always be disappointed.  You're dealing with a lot of factors on your own and even more when you're relying on someone else to grow your weed.  If you expect perfection, you need to move to a different world. This one isn't perfect. Ease up killer! Live with a little variation bud, it will lower your stress rate by a LOT.

:bongin:

3. Perhaps I rambled unecessarily.  Not expecting perfection.  I'm just wondering how frequent hermaphrodites are in peoples experience.

4. If that particular strain has issues, it would be interesting to see if future strains you grow turn hermie under the same growing conditions. If so, there may be issues with lighting or other stressors that could be affecting your plant. Otherwise, it may just have been poor genetics. Good luck with your future grows!

5. #5 CL4P-TP, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
    its a natural product OP, randomness is all part of the process.

Google "Charles Darwin" for more info

EDIT: FTR I'd be more POd at the Dispo. selling herm prone clones. and demand they discontinue buying form whoever supplied the clones.

6. Pardon any confusion. But what I'm interested in here is finding out from other growers here how frequently it occurs in their experience. Out of all your crops, how often have you experienced it?

7. Only 4 grows of 4 different strains, no seeds.

8. No seeds or hermie plants in my grows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app