Hermaphrodite

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by TheLookingMirror, Mar 19, 2022.

1. So I’ve recently begin growing autos and found a hermie. After researching I have found this particular article interesting. Tell me what you think. It’s a long read. Mostly a seed bank covering their own behind.

Why do Marijuana Plants Hermaphrodite

UNLIKE REG SEEDS (REGULAR SEEDS ) , FEMINIZED SEEDS WERE CREATED USING A HERMAPHRODITE ( FEMALE WITH MALE FLOWERS AS THE ACTING MALE ).

NO MATTER WHERE YOU BUY YOUR FEMINIZED SEEDS FROM THEY WERE MADE USING A HERMAPHRODITED FEMALE PLANT. THIS MEANS THAT FEMINIZED SEEDS ARE PRONE TO TURNING HERMAPHRODITE.

You would be amazed at how many people get mad or angry thinking they grew a male plant and that they were sold regular seeds and not feminized seeds because it grew into a hermie. They simply didn’t know what a hermie is,or know what a male plant is and what a female plant is supposed to look like. So they instantly log into their email and fire off an angry complaint to the seedbank that sold them true feminized seeds stating their genetic’s suck and that they sell reg seeds and not true fem seeds. OR, they don’t know any better and they insult your genetics because they got a hermie and in their brains they expected a feminized seed to only turn female. Not knowing that the blood line DNA of that seed was created with a hermaphrodite therefor it has the propensity to turn into a hermie plant. Even if you were doing everything in your grow perfect you should expect to get hermaphrodites because that’s part of the job as a master grower. Even the strongest regular seed grown females notorious for taking abuse and not hermaphroditing will still hermaphrodite with improper grow conditions or over defoliation occurring. The best of best proven clones taken from a mother which produces proven clones can still hermaphrodite at a blink of the eye. In simple no matter what feminized seed , or regular seed, or cloned genetic you grow and no matter who made it or where it came from if it’s a female marijuana plant you can certainly force it to hermaphrodite whether you meant to or not. As a seedbank we can state to you that 95% of all hermies that people grew out from feminized seeds usually hermied because of things the grower was doing to the plant. Below we will cover those most common mistakes growers do that causes their plants to turn hermaphrodite. However, there is truth in that some genetics strongly carry hermaphrodite genes more than others and it is our job as a seed bank to identify those problems so we can provide you the best of the best quality genetics to purchase and grow in your operation ! You can have faith in NukeHeads Genetics, but regardless of the seed bank hermaphrodites are part of growing Marijuana. Deal with it, and accept that they exist and are going to exist in your grow and everyone else’s grow. This page is to teach you how to reduce hermies in your grow to the point they become rare in your operation, but to also know what to do with them WHEN they appear in your grow !

Any time you buy FEMINIZED seeds; your dealing with an inherent nature of hermi genetics; To produce a feminized seed it takes breeding a hermaphrodite plant with a female plant. By nature monoecious and dioeccious colonies of the wild were dominated either by a hermi as the ACTING MALE ( intersexed\hermaphrodited\TransMale plants ) or the colony was dominated by a TRUE MALE marijuana plant as the male of the colony that produced pollens that seeded up female plants. When breeders began getting landrace strains and crossing them they used males to rid of the hermie plants e.g ACTING MALES ( or fake males if you will ) in monoecious genetics ( Sativa were the most commonly found monoecious colonies in the wild that had allot of hermie plants as the ACTING MALE plant ).

So when you produce a feminized seed; you are producing a seed with hermaphrodite genetics; Now things get complex, here’s a page I wrote on the subject matter and I put it on our website in case you’d like to raise your kung foo up another belt on this subject matter.
    Most Common things to cause stresses which leads to a feminized seed growing into a hermaphrodite:

1. PH imbalance or heavy PH swings in the soil and a grower not using a proper soil PH meter to keep soil at a 6.0 – 6.5 is the #1 reason plants hermaphrodite. Most of the time soil PH drops into low 5’s and dangerous 4’s and the plant will quickly hermaphrodite from build up of massive stressor horomones.
    2. Second most common issue with plants hermaphroditing, would be a failed dial timer, causing erratic lighting cycles. The equivalent would be me turning on the light while you sleep through odd times of the night not allowing you a full quality deep sleep, and doing this for days or weeks on end. Eventually you’ll be super stressed out. So check your dial timer settings, make sure the timer is engaging and working properly. Lastly, it takes only 10 photons of 1 quantum or 1 mole if you go molar, to cause a plant to begin waking up and growing. So any small ray of light hitting your plants when they sleep within most visible wavelengths will cause the plants phytochromes to have binary changes and cause plants to certainly stress into hermaphrodites.
    3. Too much nutrient toxicity if your plants leaves are super dark green and your not flushing the root zone of the soil grow or changing your hydroponics reservoir to reduce nutrient concentration we have found this to highly stress a plant because it tends to BURN THE ROOTS causing plants massive stress.
    4. Dehydration , do not allow the plants to completely dry out this can certainly trigger them into a protection mode when stoma guard cells close while the plant wants to synthesize light but it won’t because it detects no humidity, or moisture this too is massive stress levels and the plant may trigger into Rhodilization to save it’s species and begin producing seeds.
    5. Rhodilization a process of a Marijuana Female producing her own pollen sacs and asexually producing seeds because she went extended into growth and approached “ Dying “. Harvest at the proper times via trichome coloration’s, and either chop her down or re-veg her to prevent this from occurring.
    6. Humidity and Vapor Pressure Deficits , when there is not enough humidity some strains will hermaphrodite
    7. Excessive Defoliation of fan leaves and branches. This would be the THIRD most common reason plants hermi . Far to many times growers remove too much all at once causing plants massive stress levels. For feminized seeds we suggest removing a SINGLE BRANCH once a week per plant while in veg. This gives you typically 4 branch removals per month which is plenty, and is a low stress approach.
    While mother nature is perfect in it’s imperfections some seeds from a batch of seeds will simply be inherently prone to hermaphrodite despite the best of breeding practices. It’s also seen in human beings, the animal kingdom, and the Kingdom Fungi with abnormalities in fruits or offsprings. Where a human is born without a limb, or has a difference in bodily proportionality and symmetry because there was a predisposition in the gene that expressed this change; with feminized seeds there will simply be the case of a seed or two that will hermie yet you did everything as a grower proper and yet it still hermaphrodited on you. This is just the very simple nature of growing seeds be it regular seeds, or feminized seeds abnormalities exists. DEAL WITH IT ! There is simply nothing the grower or seed bank can do to prevent this; this is the power of mother nature. As a seed bank; there is action we can take to do our best to give a stronger outcome of quality female growth to give the grower the best odds against a hermi plant and thats using proper breeding and seed production practices.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. It's true you use colloidal silver or tiresias mist on a female plant branch turning that branch male pollinating the plant or plants producing feminized seeds. Personally tho it's very rare for hermie from a seed bank or your own. I grow around 36 plants a year only had my first plant I grew turn hermie, without me causing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I've been growing feminized seeds for many years and I have never had a hermie.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. You my friend, are doing everything right. From sourcing your seeds, to how you grow your plants. I'm trying to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ive been growing fem seeds for years now seeds from well known breeders and also a few friends who also make fem seeds ,with no hermies ,,but just lately ive had trouble of couple strains throwing up nanners ,,dont know what caused them to do that etc ,,,,growing a fem plant now its just started flowering so far every thing is looking good ,,hope it stays fem ,i'l be pissed off if this plant turns hermie ,,mac,,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hoping the best for you grow!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Well.... Its kind of on the breeder to breed stable genetics and test their shit before bringing it to market.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. i have ran fems since they became available in the early 2000s and they almost always throw a few male preflowers during flip...some throw a bit of pollen sometimes they seem unviable but i have found the odd seed and its from "reputable" banks and breeders

most recent run, solfire, beleaf and rocbud - all fems - all three had preflower bananas at flip and all three produced small amounts of pollen and i bet i get a few seeds here and there

ive had the same with copycat and many other breeders over the years with fems

thats not the same as full herm though where all through flower both bananas and calyxes are produced, thats a full herm never seen that

9. I've only ever had hermies from seedsman.

10. single solitary flower or animal with both male and female reproductive organs.

11. Me too.