Here..we..go!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by euphoria526, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Hello everyone and anyone who has stumbled upon this journal!
    OR lets see how I do at indoor growing!

Here is my list and/or guide of what I am using, are currently doing, or going to do:

Supplies
    For what I had in mind for myself, I am confined and limited to a 3x3 tent, inside a room, in an apartment.

-Coolgrow 3x3x6 tent (36”x36”x72”)

-ChiLED growcraft X-2 330 W Led. I went with it because of the modular design. I can always upgrade to a 3rd lightbar and add a higher wattage driver on the same frame .

-Jack’s 321 nutrient blend

- CoCo coir bricks

-Perlite. Mixing with the coco for a %70 coco %30 perlite mix.

– 2 -gallon cloth pots (using 2-3 at a time)

-1- 190 cfm exhaust fan, ducting, carbon air filter.
    - 2- small double headed fans for internal air movement.

Nutrients
    I was made aware of jacks 321 from my buddy on Instagram @ Microledgrow (he also guided me to the chilled logic lights). He grows some amazing looking stuff and he has been the most open with advice and guidance to me so far.

After watching videos, and doing some research myself, this seemed like a good choice and fool proof set of nutrients to start growing with coco. It has turned into my top choice being as its supposed to technically “buffer” your water ph to where it needs to be, between 5.5 and 6.5 ph balance. Now reading from Jack’s website, this is where the simplicity that I am referring to came from:

“Jack’s 321 is our tried and true two-part fertilizer program. It consists of Jack’s Nutrients Part A 5-12-26, Jack’s Nutrients Part B 15-0-0 and Epsom Salts. BUT where does that “321” come from, you ask? It’s the shortened amount of each fertilizer in grams per gallon.

To mix up the perfect blend of Jack’s 321 you will need:

3.6 grams Part A

2.4 grams Part B

1.1 grams of Epsom salts

This will give you a blend of nutrients for growing almost any controlled environment crop, in any growing system. The order of additions is VERY important. You must add the 5-12-26 first and make sure it is completely dissolved, then add in the Epsom salts making sure it is completely dissolved, then finally the calcium nitrate.”

(When using Jacks 321, you mix the base nutrient first (Part A) until it's completely dissolved, then add your Epsom (Part C) and mix this until it's completely dissolved and then add the Calcium Nitrate (Part B).)

I should be reaching a ppm of 850 all throughout ( or as needed and adjusted which would be a reading of 1.6-1.8 EC

Genetics

I have Masonic seeds from right here in Los Angeles, and straight outta Compton. From my understanding he used to roll with The Jungle Boys, I don’t know the full history, I know I like his style.Also, every flower I've seen from him, or a few others have looked AMAZING when harvested. He also breeds his flowers with trichomes on the mind and for making hash rosin, aka they SHOULD end up covered in delicious crystals and potent. He is most known for breeding an amazing Wilson, and crosses a ton of other amazing flowers to Wilson as well.

Prepping/Charging Coco

This is my first time growing with Coco coir. Every single guide I have seen, been directed TO read, and have actually read, stresses the importance of washing your coco, especially when it comes in compacted bricks. I chose to go with CANNA coco 1L bricks, I feel I can use half a brick at a time for my needs, so this will come out to 4 grows depending on how much I use per pot/solo cup.

I am going to use a ¼ of jacks solution to wash and charge the coco coir prior to mixing, attempting to get out any dust or any possible contaminates ( I know coco is supposed to be neutral, but companies lie about products all the time).

(SIDE NOTE: I ended up NOT buffering and listening to the manufacturers’ recommendation of not pre charging the coco as well as trusting the nutrient manufacturer’s instructions as well. We will see how that goes)

Germinating

Since I’m not doing a pheno hunt, I’m popping 2 at a time and basically hoping for the best for females to pop. In the past when starting from seed, I’ve managed to pop 10/10 all females using the tried and true method of a wet paper towel in a zip lock bag in my sock drawer, and if its not broke, don’t fix it, right? After the initial germination, when the shell cracks and shows It’s root, I plan on putting it in a red solo cup with %50 Perlite/coco mix until it comfortably gets rooted in the medium.

Growing

Ok, so at this stage, I have: successfully charged my coco, germinated and planted my seedling in the solo cup, and prepared my cloth pots for Transplant into their final containers. I’ve splashed the seedlings with ph6.0 water and started the light cycle. Set to about 13 in away and light dimmed to %25 to start.

Once they start growing and after the first week or 10 days, they will get their first dose of nutrients.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4/15/2020

Just received the tdm/ec meter today
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04/17/2020

Both the Wilson! And the Wilato have white fuzzy roots.

Put both seeds into red solo cups with wet coco/perlite blend.

Splashed seedlings with ph6.0 water, no nutes yet

Turned lights on, set for 6am-midnight cycle of 18/6

Temp= 74-77F

RH= low- mid %60- 65

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04/18/2020

Checked both of them this morning around 8a ish and the Wilson! was poking up and I could easily see the little green cotyledon, also the Wilato was barely visible. Checked again around 2p and both seeds were visible from the top of the coco.

At both 8 am and 2p gave both seed about 6 ML of ph’d water to keep the coco moist. They both had drops coming out of the bottom and dripping into the catch tray.

I have been using a 3ML syringe sed for vape liquids to give the small amounts of water.

Temp: 76F

RH 70-75%

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04/21/2020

All is well with the little seedlings, temp and RH ive been keeping very similar and they seem to be loving it. The Wilato seems to have caught some vigor and started reaching more for the light, the Wilson, is slowly finding her way up little by little.

I started to stop using the syring to water and just started to slowly pour the ph balanced water over the coco around the outside of the plant. Will start feeding soon, waiting to see what the plant will be telling me in the next few days.

6349415-A-BD0-B-4-B13-A598-0-A42-E5868-D1-B.jpg D47-FB55-B-E59-A-42-E9-B2-B8-F12-AAA6-C0-A79.jpg

2. I’ve never heard of a strain called Wilson, but I’ll hang around to see what you can do. Good preparation beforehand should lead to a decent grow. The 850ppms is a bit troubling IMO as I never fed over 650 ppm including my 100 ppm tap water at mid flower. Maybe reduce that to half and double the feed if needed to avoid burn and increase available oxygen to the roots. But it’s your show so carry on bud.

3. Wilson, I think was just a super jacked up green crack phenotype that he took and bred the crazy characteristics from that pheno onward to what we're doing today.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 euphoria526, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    alllllright.
    so today I decided to start giving them nutrients.
    I started by going full swing on the nutes in the water to test to see what im working with.
    ended up being that the ppm's/EC were WAY too high, so I poured out half the gallon in to the other 1g jug and diluted half with tap which adjusted the ec to about 650, which I am aware most people feel is too high, but figured since I didn't rinse the coco it should workout, ill soon find out within the next couple hours or tomorrow morning. fed them till the were dripping out of the bottom. waiting for the dripping to finish so I can test the run off ( I isolated the Wilato for runoff checking didn't have another cup to collect the Wilson runoff directly at the moment). otherwise the ladies look like they are living as much as they can at the moment.
    Temp:74F
    RH:57%
    (These pics were from this morning before I fed them)
    IMG_7619 2.jpg IMG_7622 2 copy.jpg

5. #5 euphoria526, Apr 23, 2020
    04:23:2020.jpg 04:23:2020(2).jpg
    temp: 80f
    RH: 64%
    here we have todays results. they are starting to look a bit sad and droopy. I'm starting to think that I have been giving them too little of water and now nutrients, also been thinking the light intensity needs to go up as well. So I'm thinking I need to do more volume of liquid per feeding, and less times doing it.
    I plan on giving more liquid around the same time as yesterdays feeding, around 1:15p my time, it I snow 10:55A cups still feel pretty moist and heavy
    thoughts?

6. you should be feeding 1/8 strength nutes with a 50 to 100 ml syringe around the edge of the cup. No run off until they get much older. Feeding this way, you can feed 2 to 5x a day and get some explosive growth. I’m topping at the 5th node, 10-14 days from sprouting.

you should get some more soil in those cups too. The second pic for sure

7. #7 euphoria526, Apr 23, 2020
    S2C - I WAS doing that the first few days with ph'd water and a 3ml syringe. 9 ml per plant. I don't have anything larger then that for a syringe at the time being
    as they were growing vertically, I thought that a tad bit more was necessary as I do now. im waiting to see what the girls will tell me. but there's the chance im drowning them, and ill change that. I got back to this after I watered them. my thought is, its getting above 80f and they might be needing the extra oomf. tops of the coco was starting to look a little dry as well.
    this is what I ended up with.
    Wilson ro=331ppm/.6EC Wilato ro= 303ppm/.6EC
    im trying to figure out how to col the tent, its pretty warm in the apt with or without the windows open and/ or ac on. the stench of solution im using is less then half strength. id say its flower to quarter. I had to dilute it enough to get the ppms down to begin with, then ph the stuff. ill know soon, I might dilute some more if need be

8. You said the coco was still wet and it was almost time to feed again. If you’re feeding to waste already, you’re drowning them. Think about it, there’s only a few roots in there to absorb the moisture. If you’re filling the pot every feed, there’s a ton just collecting there. That’s how salts build up and you starve your seedlings and either kill them or stunt them

This method has been proven over and over as the fastest way to grow seedlings out. I used a 50 ml syringe and fed 1/8 strength nutrients two to five times a day. Basically whenever I was near her I’m at 5 nodes and topping inside of two weeks. This sequence goes from ungerminated seeds under plastic bags in Tupur on October 15, 2018 to my first topping at 5 nodes down to the third to build a nugbuckets manifold on October 30th, 2018.

05A88C6C-E584-4ED4-AC30-A94961BAF820.jpeg 2CA96EB8-669C-4F97-B125-5B1B3BF25BA2.jpeg 3235B26A-11A9-484C-81CB-C58A745C524D.jpeg 0A0E42AF-CE2E-4B62-B47B-62187AE28907.jpeg 849158DA-EF4B-44BC-B143-FF7740CFD5F2.jpeg E62DDF8B-58FA-4FB3-8C9A-53B1D04A11F7.jpeg B6786379-1864-412C-BA95-1E0582E70F7C.jpeg 9679B091-F24C-47E4-B39A-1E8E326BA4AA.jpeg 7F9986B7-1310-4CA7-BB22-5908FCA66767.jpeg E9C85B2A-7825-4DDB-959E-593C12C6E47C.jpeg 89D3B5CF-E138-41B5-BDE0-9DB600142186.jpeg

9. those are some nice looking plants.
    Thank you for the visual, it DOES help me understand the seedling stages better. Ok,so @Soil2Coco, after doing what ive done today, should I hold off until the coco is more dry before starting with the syringe technique?
    should I put my lights back to where they were or leave them? I raised them an inch or two and turned the intensity up a tad bit.

10. the one seedling looked a little stretched if I remember correctly. So just keep and eye on that. More stretch, lower the lights.

also, when feeding nice and light at 1/8 strength, you can douse those suckers so many times a day with the syringe. Keeping it away from the base of the plant, will encourage roots to move that way as well

11. @Soil2Coco gotcha, douse them with the syringe and low nutrient rates away from the base, AFTER letting them dry out a little.
    Since they are so moist I haven't touched them today with any water or nutrients. Im leaving them alone today and letting them soak up what they have. I also lowered the lights quite a bit to get them closer to each other.
    here are the two lovely ladies from this morning. starting to look a tad better
    04:24.2020(both).jpg 04:23:2020(2).jpg 04:23:2020.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here are the girls so far this morning. Since I couldn’t safely lower my lights as much as I wanted, I put the cups on the cloth pots. For watering I’ll take them off, but have them on there for height. I also added more coco on top of what was in there. The red cups still felt bottom heavy, the top 1/2 inch or so was a little more dry but still seem moist. I’m not digging deeper for fear of hitting any roots.
    @Soil2Coco, when do you think would be a good time to start resuming with the syringes with the nutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. So its a c b when you mix it.

14. Yessir. Since the A part also contains a micro traces of the epsom, it’s safe to even mix A/C directly before mixing B.
    If the the parts aren’t properly dissolved adding C, it can turn into an unusable mess. But it IS easy enough to literally put warm water in a gallon and hand shake it. I was surprised by the ease.

Now what I need to do is account for my already high ppm tap water (205ppm) next time I even think about mixing anything together.

15. Im just fucking with ya, why wouldnt they label em order.

16. Because some people don’t know how to follow directions? I don’t know lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. Should be as easy as ABC.

18. IMG_7659.JPG
    Here are the ladies today. Feeling so much lighter then the last few days. Starting to use the syringes to moisten the coco up. They are 3 ml so gonna take a few of these to keep them moist. Hehe

19. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Here they are today. After not touching them and letting them dry out yesterday, I gave them a couple syringes with diluted nutrients before I went to bed last night and here they are from this morning.
    So, I’ve realized that I can get better water from filtering with a brita to get less residue ppm’s from the tap.
    I poured out a gallon of filtered water, put the smallest amount of nutrients I could make out per part and after mixing and ph’ing got to about 450 ppm’s, which is less where I originally wanted to be in the beginning

20. #20 euphoria526, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    IMG_7676.JPG IMG_7678.JPG
    And here we are today! Slow but steady growth it seems like. Continuing with the minimal nutrient blend today and we will see how they react to it
    Temp:78° f
    RH:74-77° f