HerbsNOW bud dryer Review

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Deleted member 1100886, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Ok so this thread will be a 100% review and questions about this device along with my experience.

If you have Opinions about using this vs hanging and they do not follow the first paragraph, KICK ROCKS!

this review is NOT paid for OR of a product that was give to me for free! I did however receive a VETERAN discount.

let’s get this party started!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Preface as to what started this thread sourced from my own hydro thread in the “indoor growing” section

so as i am entering a harvest, i need to figure out how i wanted to dry it. then cure it. well i have been eye balling a dryer for bud and how it works while learning how to hang dry bud. i have decided ill be buying a bud dryer, this one to be exact: HerbsNOW Cannabis Dryer: The Growers Choice for Drying Weed in 2019

here is why, i just finished talking to the owner/proprietor/designer of the HerbsNow. he has bio chemical background with degree, has an engineering background with degree, and has another one with degree but i cannot remember what it was for. our phone conversation was ~35-40min with no rush of ending the conversation..

so he has discovered through testing that the issues with a longer dry is oxidation and that oxidation is what causes loss of THC and terpin profiles. he has also knows that 40-45% RH is where mold can develop and interact with other organic material.

his machine will not cause any true turpin loss using this machine. you do lose terpins but they are the low temp turpins. so 100 degrees or less and these specific ones account for less than 1% of the total amount of turpins...

this machine doesnt create a higher THC content but dries the bud quickly for less oxidation to occur which causes the bud to test higher than but that was hang dried.

the 10-15% of moisture content i was worried about is just that. its 10-15% in the STEM not the flower. but in that range is what causes the stems to break (with stings and not allowing the bud to rise back to the stem) vs snapping (two complete separate pieces upon being bent) like other bud driers do.

his drier in optimal conditions dries bud ready to smoke in a room @70 degrees with 40-45RH to be completed in the 96 hr window.

he also explained to me that drying is defiantly one thing and curing is another. curing is the allowing of no new oxygen being present and allowing the turpins to begin to express themself after it has been dried.

but after talking to him about it, i will be buying one. he even said if its too dry for you, put in a humidity pack in the jar you are currently smoking to re hydrate it you "taste" and keep going. he even said you risk your bud with a 62% pack in it and storing it long term. so i too will adopt this method

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ok so here is the machine, it is suppose to dry 6 ounces for the standard package, I have had the addition of 3 more trays that you can buy as an expansion.... from my basic math skills it should dry 9.6 ounces using a total of 8 trays....

Shipping was wild fast to me, it was amazon fast but I am close to them so I had that going for me.

the box came packed in a plain brown box and was packaged with good care

pretty straight forward to use and figure out how to use it....

the trays also allow for the centers to be taken out so that you may dry large buds, that too was very easy to do and figure out.

here she is with 8 trays and lid
    4A7CDDC3-F896-4524-A21E-672042E791C7.jpeg 83877854-81F1-45BA-93E0-3EA62ADCC3D2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ok so, I did run the machine and also took notes as to what it’s doing.

Yes just like a food dehydrator (which this is based off of), the air was always moving from the base to the top of the racks and through the lid, fan was quite not bad at all, I could sleep next to it with ease.

so I took measurements on temp, this was my biggest wonderment. Temps were taking after ~20 min after constant running.

starting at the lid vent, the temp was 85 degrees

then the next temp I took was right off the base of the machine with the “shake catcher” on it. It read 83 degrees.

I then took that off and measures again, it read 81. probably lower due to more air movement when removing the shake tray.

Then I measured the vent as to where the air is moved into the drying racks, it measured 83.

machine running while temps were taken.

Measurements were with an infrared thermometer less than 1inch away.

room that this was done in was 74 degrees

here are the pictures

EFF8519D-14AA-44E1-AEA7-6627C5509C45.jpeg F6612637-93EE-45AE-B653-6AEED5668946.jpeg 726DB1C0-8692-4172-A88A-7E5629163D25.jpeg AE111B7B-BF23-4904-B2B2-1FF9809604D8.jpeg 8DCDDA93-A481-4EDB-A36E-42F58B71A3FB.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. This dehydrator doesn't address humidity which is as important as temperature and probably more important. No thanks.

6. Hot temp, quick dry has never been ideal. I wonder why this is supposed to be different?

7. Don’t know where you define hot to be, but not being too far off a normal (to me is 70, grow room that the tent is in, 75), and seeing barely a 8 degree difference is negligible with how much air it was truly moving.

This is my first harvest so we shall see, can mess up the bud any worse than what I buy atm....

• Like Like x 1
  8. I consider that a quick warm dry. It will be fine but i prefer a bit slower cooler dry. Do to my conditions ive dried in all sorts of environments.

If this is your 1st grow you wont have any baseline to go off of. Any plans to have a reference point to judge from?
    Maybe dry half the plant in a more recognized manner?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. That was the plan, I don’t plan on packing it all though there. I’ll split a plant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The small one at 150 bucks might be worth the risk..............

11. You military? It’s even lower and becomes a no brainer to try

• Like Like x 1
  12. No not military. Just simply saying that for a personal grower like myself the small one might be worth a try as drying and curing is not only the most difficult step of the grow, but also the most important IMHO. Didn't mean any disrespect. Did you get a better deal than the $150 I saw on the site?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. They give a discount to veterans, so yep, he paid less.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yes that’s why I mentioned that, I asked them and they came through. Not pushing this product, just putting out as much info as I can about it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sorry. Missed that the first time around.

• Like Like x 2
  16. A friend gave me one for Xmas. They had a Black Friday sale, and threw in an extra tray and a Moisture Shot glass as freebies. I'm in the last few weeks before harvest, so I'll get a chance to use it soon.

• Like Like x 3
  17. That’s currently what I am waiting on, looking for some amber, everything is cloudy

• Like Like x 2
  18. If you don't mind me asking, how much of a discount did you get?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hi. Sorry for the stupid q, but I don’t understand something you wrote:
    ‘...he even said you risk your bud with a 62% pack in it and storing it long term. so i too will adopt this method.’

Is he saying putting in that pack is a risk?

20. It was steep IMO, but basically the price of the three pack but for one. So math it out. I really don’t want to say because it takes away from this review and may make others mad about a discount that they might not be able to get.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1