Herb and kids-when to tell them you Puff?

Discussion in 'General' started by drbot, Oct 1, 2012.

1. My oldest daughter is about to turn 13, and I keep wondering to myself "when should I tell her I smoke herb?"

We have had many discussions about drugs of all kinds, legal and illegal, and I have made it clear to her I believe in decriminalization of Cannabis. I try to separate the fact from fiction in the drug education she receives from school and the community, and we have open conversations about the effects of all manner of drugs.

My wife and I have never been very thorough about "hiding" the fact we smoke - I often get high and leave my jars, books and utensils out on my desk and the bookshelf. We tend to smoke inside after the kids have gone to bed, but I guarantee my daughter has smelled my herb more times than can be counted. She especially smells it when I bring home 30 jars of the dank and the house smells like fresh skunk for weeks.

I started smoking herb when I was 13, and I don't necessarily think this was a good thing - I feel I missed out on a lot of other fun opportunities because I was too busy getting high and learning to grow.

So smokers out there - what is the proper age to tell your kids you smoke the herb?

2. Idk only you as the parent can really tell. Every child matures at a different pace so it wouldn't be realistic to just give an age.

3. Very insightful Mackerowenie. Its one of the reasons the decision has been so hard to make.

4. I'm not sure on a good age to confess you smoke, my kid are young and their aware i smoke. I'll sit on the porch and blaze while they play in the yard. I had a problem with family (mostly inlaws)and friends judging my parenting tactics, but my belief it's information and honesty is the greatest tool. My mom was never one to conform and she smoked around us often. I grew up knowing what it was and is role in the world. I remember a dare officer even attempting to get me to tell on my mom. But i always viewed it as medicine, my mom had an injury at work leaving her with rods in her back. This is how she dealt with pain.
    I got a few family members that hid their smoking habits from their kids in an attempt to shelter them from reality only to have it blow up in their faces. Your kids must see it's normal and not bad as long as their taking care of their responsibility.
    when i turned 14 my mom explained what she expected from me, and i complied, in that conversation she knew I'd be smoking soon and felt comfortable if i did it in the safety if her home. Even after that i didn't smoke for another two years well into hs, it just wasn't my thing. now i work, pay my taxes, and live a healthy and good life i hope something from this story helps

The path to true enlightenment begins with the spark of a lighter

5. well if you don't think smoking at a young age was good for you, then I would wait to tell her because she might get the idea that she should smoke too.

6. What till she's a little older like 14,15,16

7. I'd say wait till they either do it themselves, or ask about you doing it.

and if she does ask, be very straight forward and honest. Or else it could lead her down a very different path

I'd even offer her some, so she can see the effects (this one's a really out there idea ) & learn that its not as bad as school is going to make it sound, it might save her from thinking "oh no my dad does DRUGS". Instead of "My dad smokes weed".

Also explain priorities to her. As you said, you started at 13 & it deterred you from a lot of things, because you were just always high.

8. I was growing weed before my children were born..they have been around it from day one..we have had long talks about it.. the good the bad and all the BS.. my son is now 23 and will not smoke. we are both cool with that because I know he knows the truth and it's not something he wants.. he don't drink either.. My daughter is 16..11th grade honor student ..she wants to learn how to grow..she doesn't smoke either..but it's her choice.. About a month ago she tried some brownies I made..she asked if I could make more so I think she liked it..now it's my job to make sure she stays on track for her carer goals.. if I she her slipping things will change.. I know I have done what I can to teach them.. now it's all up to them and how they use what they know...;)

9. [quote name='"Benderbob"']I was growing weed before my children were born..they have been around it from day one..we have had long talks about it.. the good the bad and all the BS.. my son is now 23 and will not smoke. we are both cool with that because I know he knows the truth and it's not something he wants.. he don't drink either.. My daughter is 16..11th grade honor student ..she wants to learn how to grow..she doesn't smoke either..but it's her choice.. About a month ago she tried some brownies I made..she asked if I could make more so I think she liked it..now it's my job to make sure she stays on track for her carer goals.. if I she her slipping things will change.. I know I have done what I can to teach them.. now it's all up to them and how they use what they know...;)[/quote]

That's awesome my daughter helps me in my garden.

The path to true enlightenment begins with the spark of a lighter

10. I think 13 is definitely old enough. My dad always told me what his weed was as a kid. He made it clear that is for adults and if he caught me in it he would be whoopin my ass.

I did get caught when I was like 12...he DID whoop my ass.. :D

I smoke with him all the time now though.

11. I wish my dad was like that..I would love to sit down and spark up with my dad..sadly it will never happen..:(

12. My dad is very cool when it comes to alcohol/weed and all that..

Too cool about it in my opinion. I think parents should have SOME boundaries when the kids are younger. Once a kid is out supporting him/herself and able to make those kids of decisions for themselves its a bit different.

IMO.

13. OP I would say wait till she 15 or 16.I myself when I have a son will let him smoke by the age of 16 or earlier if I catch him smoking.I will allow him to smoke weed at an early age because me and my dad were never really close and I want it to different with me and my son.It would be our close bonding experience,me and him getting stoned off our asses,buying munchies,straight chilling out and hanging.

This is the experience & bond I would love to have with my son when we toke up.
    [​IMG]

14. lmfao^ i respect that.
    Definitely tell her while she's younger, don't wait til 16 or 17. I know for a fact I was extremely rebellious around that age and so were all of my friends.
    Had my mom smoked weed & encouraged me to do it, I wouldn't have tried half the shit or did half the shit I did today.

15. Id tell them at around 16 and make damn sure that they keep quiet about it. Id make sure they know the facts about cannabis from a young age though.

16. Also make sure she responsible with smoking weed and make sure she know to keep it green and not use any unmentionables.

17. Very interesting thread. My parents don't smoke and my mom is really anti-weed but I don't think that lead to me smoking.

Really, telling her now doesn't seem like it would be a bad idea so long as she is responsible and won't tell anyone. I would not recommend letting her smoke so young though. I feel like anything less than 16 would be too young to smoke as they're usually immature and will likely get caught by the police or in school. Information is never bad though, just educate her on why you do it and let it be known she's not allowed to smoke until whatever age you decide is best for her.