Hempy OR Soil for low(er) maintenance outdoor?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Bobcat79, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Hi all! First post!

I am thinking about starting a legal, medical grow within the next week or so before NorCal flowering begins (~mid August). Thing is, it's in a spot where I won't be able to realistically water it easily everyday in person. need to do some kind of remote dripper or watering system no matter which medium I choose.

Anyone had any luck running hempy outdoors? Was thinking about doing six 5 gallon hempies with perlite or coco. Is perlite or coco better for outdoor? And if there's only ~6 weeks until flowering, would soil or hempy be a better bet? I know hempies take a while longer to start. What would be the best schedule for transplanting etc to ensure they're ready to rock in August?

I won't be able to check the soil ph often if soil is the case. Am going to make a grow journal as soon as this is all sorted out!

Would really appreciate your advice in this matter :)! Personally I'm leaning toward hempy but I want to consult with you all before starting. Thanks!!

Note: I'm starting from OG Kush clones.

2. If you're going to try and do this outdoor, you're going to have to go with soil. But if you're not going to be able to be there to tend your plants, you need to just forget it. This is not something you can do remotely, unless you buy the little kit I saw on a documentary on Vice Channel called Weediquette where these two guys invented a little tent grow thing that could be controlled by apps. But each plant grows at it's own pace and has to be tended individually. You can't mass water them because they hate having their roots sitting in moist conditions. If you'll have a look at the soil used by the more experienced growers on here, you'll see that it's most always chocked full of perlite. This is to provide adequate drainage for the plant. You have to water them very slowly and let the plant take what it wants and the rest drain through. But there's no way you can manage plants from a distance with either system. It's a garden and you have to be there to take care of it. TWW

3. Thx for getting back to me Widow. That's why I was leaning toward hempy, because the excess water will just drain out. Do you think that's a terrible idea outdoors? Also, I can be there once or twice a week. Just not everyday. Sorry I didn't specify that.