Hemp wick? Or bic lighter?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by DCIGS, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ^ Definitely, Ive been using Beeline for years now and I buy it by the spool as well:bongin:

2. I love the humboldt hemp wick. I get it on amazon.

[​IMG]

3. Neither

Get a glass rod. Best way to combust hands down. Nothing beats the flavor

4. I liked the humboldt hemp wick, they sent me free samples when it came out. As far as I can remember though they didnt sell spools, so I stuck with Beeline.
    I still havent tried a hakko or herb iron yet, but plan on buying one sometime soon, it would be awesome for the house.

5. [quote name='"HBGBUB"']Neither

Get a glass rod. Best way to combust hands down. Nothing beats the flavor[/quote]

this ^^

but i do have hemp wick wrapped around my lighter for hash/blunts and joints

6. I have a glow rod and it works really well, but IMO it gets to be a pain heating it up all the time plus they can break.

7. ahahaha I used hempwick for another type of item.... :hippie:

8. I've always used a Bic for the convenience factor. If my local smoke shops stocked humboldt, I'd pick it up. But they dont, so I dont.

9. My favorate though is wooden matches

10. Hemp wick can help you corner bowls 1000x better than any lighter. It stays lit too which can be a pro and a con in itself. I burnt my pillow that way.. But I prefer hempwick with my bong hits

11. It would seem that i'm the only guy who uses a zippo to light up his buds? Gotta love that zippo when you're out on the beach and that wind is blowing hard. nothing puts that flame out. whereas with a bic, if i blink a little too hard, the gust will put the flame out lol...

12. ive never had a problem cornering a bowl with a lighter, and never had and issue with the weed tasting like shit from using a lighter..

the only time for me a bowl tastes like ass is when I use a hemp wick

13. Yea, I tried a free sample from humboldt hemp wick and i didnt like it at all.. The shits limp and has no backbone, It lets off a lot of smoke, which if u inhale into your pipe while lighting your weed, Will make u fuckin gag, And it just annoys me lighting a piece of wick every hit i take wen it does nothing to the taste.

I tried 2 free samples, from 2 different companies, I tried givin the stuff a shot, But it just doesnt make any sense to me wen, imo, it doesnt do anything to make the weed taste better... That or maybe im just good at lighting my weed with a lighter? If u guys can get even a hint of butane, Your holdin flame over ur bowl wayyy too long, I never taste butane unless its the last hit and theres no more weed.. And even then i just keep it in my mouth and release it wen i realize its butane lol.

14. bLunts taste better when lit with hemp wick imo

also enjoy using it when i top a bowl with some hash

that's about it, but its always wrapped around my lighter

15. zippos are worse than hemp wick for ass taste lol

16. Seriously...I don't mean to be a snob, but open flames of ANY kind are the enemy of potency and flavor.

You light a campfire or fireplace or a grill, etc. with a lighter -because it's the proper tool for that job. However, when smoking marijuana, the Hakko (or its glorified little brother, the HerbIron) is the best tool. Granted, it's not the best tool for "on the go" smoking....but that's a moot point for me because I rarely smoke on the go! ;)

17. hakko AKA a soldering iron is wack

18. I just got my new bong and I'm defiantly gonna pick up some beeline tommorow.

19. I pulled this info from a different site....figured it was worth a read if you're interested. I believe you're not inhaling actual butane from the lighter though; you essentially are inhaling a by-product from the fuel. Anywho...

Neurotoxic Effects from Butane Gas

Acute Intoxication

Because butane gas inhalants enter through the pulmonary system, they immediately enter into the blood supply and within seconds produce intoxication. The acute effects of inhalants include dizziness, hypertension (increased blood pressure), tachycardia (increased heart rate), impaired coordination, disorientation, temporal distortion, confusion, thick slurred speech, delirium, hallucinations, assaults and suicide attempts. Depending upon the inhalant, recovery may take minutes to hours or may not occur at all. Single episode use can be fatal because of oxygen displacement from red blood cells, hypoxia and asphyxiation. Victims of pulmonary effects are often found with a paper bag over the head.

Profound relaxation and deep sleep usually follow the initial euphoric phase.Unpleasant symptoms reported after the use of inhalants include agitation, seizures, ataxia, headache, and dizziness.

Chronic Effects
    Chronic inhalant abuse destroys motor neurons that send commands from the brain to the hands and feet. As these motor neurons fail, varying degrees of motor impairment result, including a decreased ability to perform manual and mental tasks. For example, toluene vapors produce high levels of this lipid soluble chemical, particularly in the brain. Toluene abusers present symptoms of motor uncoordination, fatigue, mental impairment, and increasingly greater degrees of permanent central nervous system damage. Most inhalants produce some degree of hepatotoxicity (liver damage). Halogenated hydrocarbons, such as freon, cause severe hepatotoxicity.

Some inhalants change cardiac physiology and increase the risk for cardiac failure. For example,butane (from cigarette lighters), freon (from aerosol propellants) and toluene (from glues) hypersensitize cardiac cells to norepinephrine, the neurotransmitter that stimulates cardiac contractions. Inhalants interfere with the transport of oxygen by interfering with the binding or release of oxygen by red blood cells. The resulting hypoxia also causes cardiac cell hypersensitivity to norepinephrine. Norepinephrine sensitivity and hypoxia can cause cardiac muscles to defibrillate or begin contracting randomly. A syndrome called Sudden Sniffing Death (SSD) occurs without warning, and discontinuation of breathing the inhalant does not reverse the sequence of events. Victims of SSD often appear to sense that something is wrong, and run away from the source or site where they were inhaling, before collapsing and dying.

Neurotoxic Effects
    Permanent cerebral and cerebellar neurological disability is the most well known toxic effect of chronic inhalant abuse. Long-term abusers are at significant risk for a neurological syndrome consisting of memory loss, cognitive impairment, sleep disturbance, depression, anxiety, and personality changes. Permanent cognitive disorders are also well described in patients who chronically sniff gasoline. Long term occupational chemical exposure (e.g., painters) may result in the development of cerebral atrophy and abnormal EEGs.

Chronic abuse of n-hexane and nitrous oxide are well known to cause peripheral neurological deficits including profound sensorimotor polyneuropathy (n-hexane) and a demyelinating polyneuropathy and extremity weakness (nitrous oxide), which appears to be related to the inactivation of vitamin B12, an important cofactor in many necessary biochemical reactions.

Inhalation of leaded gasoline increases the risk for neurological complications from organic lead poisoning. These include mental confusion, poor short-term memory, psychosis, and encephalopathy. Symptoms of inorganic lead poisoning (headache, abdominal pain, hepatic injury, renal damage) have also been reported in patients who chronically inhale gasoline.

Animal and human research shows that most inhalants are extremely toxic. Perhaps the most
    significant toxic effect of chronic exposure to inhalants is widespread and long-lasting damage to
    the brain and other parts of the nervous system. For example, both animal research and human
    pathological studies indicate that chronic abuse of volatile solvents such as toluene damages the
    protective sheath around certain nerve fibers in the brain and peripheral nervous system. This
    extensive destruction of nerve fibers is clinically similar to that seen with neurological diseases
    such as multiple sclerosis.

The neurotoxic effects of prolonged inhalant abuse include neurological syndromes that reflect
    damage to parts of the brain involved in controlling cognition, movement, vision, and hearing.
    Cognitive abnormalities can range from mild impairment to severe dementia. Other effects can
    include difficulty coordinating movement, spasticity, and loss of feeling, hearing, and vision.
    Inhalants also are highly toxic to other organs. Chronic exposure can produce significant damage
    to the heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys. Although some inhalant-induced damage to the nervous
    and other organ systems may be at least partially reversible when inhalant abuse is stopped,
    many syndromes caused by repeated or prolonged abuse are irreversible.
    Abuse of inhalants during pregnancy also may place infants and children at increased risk of
    developmental harm. Animal studies designed to simulate human patterns of inhalant abuse
    suggest that prenatal exposure to toluene or trichlorethylene (TCE) can result in reduced birth
    weights, occasional skeletal abnormalities, and delayed neurobehavioral development. A number
    of case reports note abnormalities in newborns of mothers who chronically abuse solvents, and
    there is evidence of subsequent developmental impairment in some of these children. However,
    no well-controlled, prospective study of the effects of prenatal exposure to inhalants in humans
    has been conducted, and it is not possible to link prenatal exposure to a specific chemical to a
    specific birth defect or developmental problem.

References
    Brick, J. (1998). Inhalants, Technical Document No. 3. Yardley, PA: Intoxikon International.

Broussard, L. (1999). Inhalants. In B. Levine (Ed.). Principles of forensic toxicology (pp 345-353). Washington: American Association for Clinical Chemistry.

Kolecki, P and Shih, R. (2003). Inhalant abuse. In J. Brick (Ed.). Handbook of the medical consequences of alcohol and drug abuse (pp 579-607). New York: Haworth Medical Press.