Helped save a life today.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by phantomxrider, May 26, 2010.

1. Today, my dad and brother and I were out on the town eating lunch and buying my brother a video camera for his 16th birthday. So we're heading back home and sitting at a red light, when all of a sudden I hear tires squealing. I looked in the rear view mirror at just the right time to see the guy behind me on a sport bike get rear ended and fly off. The worst part was the thud I heard as a part of his body collided with my rear bumper. I didn't even think and jumped out of the car and ran to the back.

The wreckage wasn't that bad. There was a teenage girl (the one who rear ended him) standing & crying to the side, her car had a dent on it. You can tell by the length of the skid marks that the girl hadn't been paying attention and had to slam on the brakes at the last moment. The guy's bike was in fair shape; his slider (my dad called it that) was knocked off, his phone was on the ground and the rear rim was torn in three places with the tire wrapped around it. The worst part was the man laying on the ground.

So basically, people had to come and crowd the scene. There was about 4 or 5 people that didn't need to be there just standing around. I kneeled next to the guy and started telling him things that he needed to hear: "Alright buddy, it's gonna be ok. Can you speak?" I spent a while in the Boy Scouts (quit at Star rank, two below Eagle) and took a small lifeguarding class, so I had a small amount of emergency knowledge.

He was laying on the ground, and I could tell he wanted to speak. He didn't look hurt too bad. But I also knew he was slipping into shock (hence the eyes and the silence) so whatever pain he should be feeling wouldn't be there until he calmed down. So around the corner, this man comes around out of a civilian car dressed in the WRFD (Warner Robins Fire Dept) shirt. He kneeled next to me in front of the man, but I was already doing most of the talking. "Listen man. I'm a retired Boy Scout, my dad served in Vietnam and this man here is with the fire department. We're going to keep you safe until the ambulance comes."

For a second, he moved a bit and cried "why the fuck would you hit a stopped bike?" I knew that he was pissed and was going to try and move, which could hurt him even more.

"Hey man this is what I want you to do. Stay where you are, we're gonna take care of you okay? Now tell me, what hurts?"
    "Ankle."
    "Is there anywhere else?"
    (Fire Dept. guy): hey man we're going get the pressure off your back and remove your packpack. Is that ok?"

We got his backpack off. I knew that you don't want to move an injured person, but the way he was laying on his backpack could have seriously injured his nervous system so I was thankful the fire dept. guy was there to help.

Like I said, there was a small group of people that shouln't be there but were anyways. I caught this one guy trying to move the bike out of the way. "Don't fucking touch that bike. That screws up the insurance." Blades, if you move a vehicle involved with an accident, that voids the insurance. Don't do that, it's bad enough he was in a heap on the side of the road.

Anyways the man on the bike was going deeper and deeper into shock. When I realized this I grabbed his backpack and placed it under his feet to get the blood moving, as well as unzipped his jacket. I checked his pulse, and it was faint, which was another bad sign. He wasn't speaking much and his skin felt cold when I checked his pulse. His breathing wasn't that great so I knew I had to do something instead of stand there and cry, like the teenage girl was. So I got on my knees beside him and started doing chest compressions. I did about 7 or 8 of them before his eyes started returning to normal. More and more I saw the dullness in his eyes go away as he came back out of shock. Right when this happened, I heard the sirens. "It's going to be ok buddy. The paramedics are here. They'll take care of you."

After everything was said and done, it was determined the guy was going to be ok. Apparently, he was in so much shock that he stopped breathing. The guy from the fire dept was happy I had at least some basic emergency training.

If nobody read the story, at least watch out for motorcycles. My dad rides one and has been in a few close calls before. And don't text and drive, that kind of irresponsibility isn't needed on the roads.

2. That's cool man. I probably would have been one of the people standing around doing nothing haha.

3. Look out for motorcycles, bikes, longboards-just look the fuck out!
    Actually, fuck that. I'm in NJ. The only way you get by is looking out for yourself if you're not on something that has four wheels and an engine.

4. Nice one man. I think basic first aid should be required to be taught at school tbh; this case perfectly illustrates why. Without your knowledge who knows what could've happened to that guy.

Anyone who texts and drives should have their licence revoked. It is such an irresponsible and dangerous thing to do.

5. Good job

Completely agreed

6. Yeah i remember when i was in the 8th grade, some truck driver comin off the interstate stopped at this stop sign, looked at my on my bicycle, and the traffic ahead of him was busy so i preceded to cross the street.

as soon as i got infront of him, he popped the clutch, and just smashed me enough to knock me down, but i did out cold for about 20 seconds when my head whipped against the pavement. Then he just sat there..... nothing more.

After my friend david got me up and i looked at the driver... I saw one thing...
    A hand motion to "Get the fuck out of the way"

So then the cops are all there, the handlebars of my bike in his windshield... lmao

Im so fucking lucky there were a large number of witnesses... I kindof lost the right to sue when i threw the handlebars, but i didn't know any better at the time. lol

Yeah i was a boyscout too. I was just about to rank into Eagle when I had to move away. ):
    So i feel ya bro. The world needs less idiots.

7. yeah dude i really agree.
    the sad part is that in some schools like mine, there's at least a small but good amount of info in the health and pe books, but kids dont even try to remember classes like those.

8. You sir deserve some rep.

Thanks for helping that guy :wave:

9. thanks buddy

10. My uncle died this last winter after a guy in a car, who wasn't paying attention, hit his motorcycle. The guy who hit him then shook him (apparently to "wake" him up), which ended up breaking his neck.

You did the right thing OP. Here's some rep!

11. yeah man, sometimes i worry about my dad out there. i kind of can relate, i drive a miata. lets just say my head comes up to about the bottom of the fender of most cars. and then there's all the testosterone tripping southern kids with raised trucks scaring the crap out of me.

12. Good action, smart moves man.

People really need to watch out for motorcycles. I plan on getting one in a few years when I can afford it and with the way people drive in America (farkin' idiots) I'm kind of apprehensive because I am afraid of the carelessness of others.

13. thank you everybody who has seen this.
    it was kind of a different atmosphere in the small circle. it was kind of comforting, even though the cyclist was almost seriously hurt. it was like, everybody had a collective conscious and was all focused on helping the guy. it felt like humanity the way it should be and was meant to me, it was a very powerful feeling to experience...

14. Did you have a boner?

(Throwin' in some humor)

15. aw man you totally killed my high/philosophic mood :/
    and no, lol.

16. My apologies. =/ Now to fix my internet assery...

I was merely making light, but I know what you felt. Literally holding someone's life in your hands is a intimidating situation, not many people (as you can see by the crowd) have the guts to step forward but the knowledge that others will prosper because of one's actions is a great feeling and I wouldn't give it up for the world.

17. Good damn job OP.

Positively inspirational, it's little stories like this that really remind you that there still are good people in the world. Hope that girl got her liscense revoked. I've wanted a bike for the longest time and I don't want someone running me over because they couldn't wait to reply to their BFF.

18. Wow what the hell, did this guy get manslaughter charges or anything?

19. yeah dude its ridiculous how bad it is for them out there. for example, my mom was sitting behind a chopper at a stop sign. well the guy pulled up a bit to check and see if it was ok to go. well it wasnt, so he sat there, by she was looking the other way and assumed he went. so she went from a dead stop and straight rear ended the dude at like 5 mpf. he got up and flipped her off and rode away. my dad thinks its funny looking back, even though he rides too.

20. wow, OP you really did do the right thing.im glad that whatever knowledge you had did come in handy.