HELP!! Yellowing in 3rd week of flower!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Gingermuffin420, Jul 26, 2017.

1. OK, so I'm 3 weeks into flower, I vegged for roughly 5 weeks...northern lights and swiss cheese under a 150 watt HPs ,5 gallon pots of fox farm, using GH nutes at 5ml micro and 10 ml bloom every other watering...watering about twice a week, I am adjusting pH...so my ladies are getting yellow leaves mostly lower and middle of the plant. They end up crispy and curly lol...not sure what exactly is going on, I have googled for days and looked at the plant charts and I just lack the experience to tell wtf....please any and all help is appreciated, this is a low budget closet grow so be gentle...

2. Heat stress

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. The rest of the stems and leaves are healthy green, the only bad ones so far...
    The top pic is NL bottom Swiss cheese
    Hope I have given enough info

4. Doesn't heat stress show at the top? Or am I confusing with light burn? And thx for the reply. :)

5. Look at backside of leaf. Find a vein and follow it up. Any white or black spots? If so mites.

6. Hi and thanks for responding! No black or white spots on backside, only black spots are on top side..the veins on backside actually look great despite the dead leaf...

7. Light burn will appear closest to your light source. Heat stress can manifest anywhere, but it's not heat stress. It is normal for leaves to yellow and fall off during the later stages of flower, but not at only 3 weeks. You said you were feeding micro and bloom nutes, what about N heavy veg nutes? During the initial 21 day stretch your plants use a lot of N. If they don't have a lot of nitrogen at this point they will feed off their lower leaves.

Another suggestion, you stated that you are adjusting ph. Is there a reason for this? You are growing in soil no? It is not always necessary to adjust ph when growing in soil. What is the ph of your water? And the ph of your runoff? Do you adjust the ph before or after mixing nutes with your water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Hey thanks for responding..so to your first question, I am trying to follow the Lucas method for feeding, which I believe results in low N by only using micro and bloom, so I am open to doing a regular veg feeding if suggested... Now to your second question, I have to adjust my pH because I use tap water and it comes out 8.0<...so if I use nutes I pH after nutes are mixed, if no nutes then I just pH water then pour...I have never tested my run off... This is my second, so far successful grow so I'm still pretty wet behind the ears, I hope I have answered everything OK.

9. My nutes...like I said if a N heavy feed is suggested, next feed I can do that, thanks for all input definitely appreciated!

10. Before adding additional nutes, I would check the ph of your runoff next time you water. When growing in soil it's important to have a correct ph in the root zone. Correctly ph'd water will not necessarily provide a correct ph for the root zone. Unless you have a probe to test the ph of the root zone it's hard to get an exact reading of the root zone.

Take the ph of your water and then the ph of your runoff and calculate the average between the 2. This should (theoretically) provide a ballpark figure for the ph of your root zone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. OK thank you for the information, I will do this next watering and report back, you have been very helpful thank you.

12. OK..so I pH adjusted my tap water to about 6.5, it came out at about 5.0-5.5....I say about because I use a Gh pH up and pH down dropper kit with the dropper test as well...so anyways....is 5.0 to 5.5 acceptable? and if so , what does it mean as far as a course of action for my plants? ...they don't seem to look bad at all right now but a couple leaves have yellow tips and a pinch of brown freckling...as always thanks for all the help/input guys!

13. Means your root zone is probably around 6 which is too low and locking out micro nutes quit phing your water put it in at 8 will correct the problem, soil has a tendency if properly amended will ph its self to 6,8 to 7 if you use dolomite lime. here is my girl in 3rd week of flower and have never done a thing to my TAP water. Any chance you can post a pic of your entire plant? IMG_0047.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. And also if these leaves are coming from the very bottom of plant i personally think that is normal mine have been yellowing and dieing off at the bottom as well, i pick maybe 3 to 5 a day off her at the bottom that look similar to the ones you posted, that plants fan leaves will all begin to yellow towards mid to end of flower that is completely normal as the plant will quit feeding N from the roots and will start to cannibalize the leaves for its calyx production in flower.(i.e. the seed pods that would make seeds if pollinated) what fattens up the buds lol.

15. Thx for the knowledge, and very beautiful plant! I'm humbled! So thats week 3 of 12/12? Wow man! OK I'll definitely quit ph'n my water...I'll upload pic in a sec!

16. #17 Gingermuffin420, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Well that's almost the whole thing lol, sorry my phone camera is bad to say the least..I'm on day 18 of 12/12

• Like Like x 1
  17. That plant appears to be perfectly healthy, just goto the tap water and i feel like you will be perfectly fine, and i apologize that pic is 26th day i believe so closer to 4 weeks of flower. Don't be afraid to maybe give her a little tiger bloom or top dress with something high in P and K at this point your node spacing looks a tad stretched but that could be specific to your strain, I keep my lights close during veg and back them off to about 24" at flower, hence why i get a little tacoing and light burn but i find my node spacing gets really tight and builds nice cola's.

18. Well they are beautiful man congrats! What kind/ wattage of light are you using? I'm using a 150 w Hps so I'm sure its not helping keep my nodes tight...one last thing...when I use my GH flower nutes, it always sets my pH at 6.5 range...so usually I just pour it in without adjusting, I'm guessing after adding nutes I should pH up to 8? And again thx for all the help man!

19. Well they are beautiful man congrats! What kind/ wattage of light are you using? I'm using a 150 w Hps so I'm sure its not helping keep my nodes tight...one last thing...when I use my GH flower nutes, it always sets my pH at 6.5 range...so usually I just pour it in without adjusting, I'm guessing after adding nutes I should pH up to 8? And again thx for all the help man!