Help with Ventilation

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by TheKronical, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Hi everyone I've moved up from PC and recently got a Kohls Transformer box which is 21"widex19"deepx6' tall. as imagined from being a transformer box its completely sealed except one square 4"x7" which has a 41.7cfm thermalstat fan in it as a outtake. other than the hole theirs only 4 little 4cm circle holes where the bolts where connected to the electric pole. Any ways, right where i have two 27.9cfm fans for circulation on the plants, i drilled 6 1/4 inch holes for a passive intake. my problem is when the door is open the outtake dam blows put allot of air but when the door is closed and sealed it doesn't blow out hardly any air and if i light a lighter it sucks air in and not out? the pasSive holes do show that they air pulling air causing a negative pressure but i don't believe its bout enough? theirs nothing causing flow restriction in the outtake. if i can find a drill to use my 1" drill bit and make the holes Alot bigger i will.
    Can anyone help?
    My lights going to be here tomorrow and don't want to blOw my outtake by overheating it.

2. Sounds cool man, is it an Autobot or a Decepticon? I've always wanted a Transformer grow box :p

I think that pc fans are vastly underpowered for what you're trying to do. I'm sure that as a micro grower you've had them work fine before, but that 27.9 cfm is pretty low to begin with, and if that's the manufacturer's claim then you can rest assured that you're getting much less.

The instant you put a restriction on that fan it stops pumping air, the weakest part of the fan's surface is overcome and airflow is reversed, your fan becomes both intake and exhaust reducing your cfms to zero, or slightly above. It's still moving air, but just in a very chaotic manner. Blow some smoke on the fan and you'll see what it's doing. Same thing happens to a desk fan when the back is clogged with dust, it starts sucking in air from the sides and front making it less efficient.

tldr; you need stronger fans, not bigger intakes

3. Thanks for the input, by transformer i mean you know the huge Boxes on electRic poles. i mounted tubing to the outtake and added another fan which is rated at 50cfm so then i have\ta 41cfm and a 50cfm pushing out. with then together it pushes out allot better but not asgreat as it would open. I'll look for a actual extractor but I'm only running a 150w hps so i don't believe heat will be to much but I'll see. thanks for yore input man!

-KM

4. Lol man, I picture the cops kicking the door and hearing "reee, eee, rooo, oo root" (transforming sound) and then as big ass robot with red eyes crash in through the wall with weed plants sticking out of him, running down the street. I'd name him StumbleWeed, lol.

5. Excellent transformer impression.

6. Lol.... no it wasn't. I loved watching them shits as a kid. They don't make cartoons like that anymore. Shame.

7. i did to (80's kid!) i remember the planet sized transformer (forgot his name) and i remember actually feeling fear when it started to transform

8. Fuck man... Unicron. I remembered it, then I Googled it....so much for the theory weed causes memory loss. And another propaganda theory bites the dust, "and another was going in the other was going in another one bites the dust haha hey, another one bites the dust"!...yup. Nigga, we is old. Lol

9. lol hell yeah now everything is either nothing but learning or stupid ass wanna be funny shows. hell my brother blew his miny fridge so I'm just going to use it lol in only 30 mins i had all the fans set up stupid ass usps brought my light to the wrong post office and when i asked if i could just fucking drive their they sauteed no because its in the shipping department... idiots.. i really hope my bulb didn't shatter

10. just bought a lot of 6 200cfm 120mm axial fans XD two of them should be fine right?