Help with ventilation of my grow tent

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by rachelnicole, Jan 7, 2012.

1. So ive been researching forever and i finally want to start my grow. I was initally going to set up a closet grow. But since im moving within the next year it will be much easier to take down a tent. The one ive purchased is 32x32x63". Ventilation seems to be the only thing im not completely understanding. I know how to calculate the cfms i need and how many times the air needs to change in the room. But as much as ive read i just dont understand the set up. Ive seen plenty of diagrams but mostly only using intake fans and having to run through hoods. Ill be using cfls, probably a 4" inline fan with an attached carbon filter, and i was not planning on an intake fan. Theres plenty of vent holes in my tent and its not huge anyways. Is this sufficient and how would i set this up? Where to put the ducting is what really confuses me... Obviously i need the ducting to go out a window to vent outside. But the inside ducting goes where?

2. Theres a very good post here in DIY on ventilation...somewhere!!!, but for your size and the cfl usage I wouldn't be to concerned at this stage, a small 6"" dia. fan would be ideal for your plants, later at budding you may wanna use a small HPS, then you can introduce some 4" dia ducting to a window with an 4" inline fan at the end.

peace
    "V"

ps put the 4" ducting at the top, where the heat is, no need to worry about blowing air in, its getting rid of the stinky is the issue

3. I read a really great ventilation FAQ on here but it still left me slightly confused. So ur saying start out with a 6 in" fan like a regular oscillating fan? Then use an exhaust fan later? Thanks for ur help!

4. A 4" 170cfm~ blower is enough for a 36ft^3

You also might need to get a dimmer for it, because 170cfm is too much at full power.

The exhaust can go wherever, if it's cool over there (probably not) you could vent the heat throughout your house. CFL's won't produce an excessive amount of heat, so it should be easy to deal with. If it's not cool, you can just vent it outside using your dryer exhaust etc.

The intake is fine being passive, the blower has enough power to pull in fresh air from the room the tent is in. If you stay in the room with the tent awhile, it would actually benefit from the raised co2 levels

The intake should obviously be at the bottom and the exhaust in the top corner, and you should use a small oscillating fan or turn up the blower fan speed enough so that the plants look like they're shaking a bit.