Help with transplanting, low-budget grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by whitebread_b, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Hey all... I found a seed in a bag. It wasn't anything special, but I figured that since it was free, I'd at least try to grow. So I wasn't thinking and just put it into a window planter beside a male that was growing. It has just begun to surface (less than 1cm). I'm planning on harvesting the male for making cannabutter, so I figure I will just transplant the new seeding to a better pot (and better soil) at the same time.

I'm going to go to Home Depot later today and get some soil. What should I look for? How big of a pot should I get? Can I just use a 5 gallon bucket? Do I need any fertilizer? Most importantly, how do I properly transplant the seed? The soil it is in is just regular topsoil for gardening, so I'm worried about putting the plant into "shock."

Also, I don't have a budget for indoor lights right now, so I'm just going to have to live with growing it using the sun. What all can I do to improve my yield? Can I bring it in at a later date when it gets cold and I have more $ for lights?

2. You can get a lamp and some CFL bulbs for under $10 total.

3. This is just a thought but, if you've ALREADY been able to grow a male in that planter and you're going to be harvesting that male for something else, WHY NOT leave the new sprout IN the planter and remove the MALE?!

As far as "Home Depot" soil goes, I have no info for you. I'm using a mixture of FoxFarm's "Ocean Forrest" and "Light Warrior". Maybe you could do a quick internet search for a place that carries Fox Farm's and go there?

4. I was planning on moving it because it's poor quality soil. Yes, it yielded a male, but I have no idea how good it will end up being. Wouldn't it be better to use nutrient-enhanced soil? Or fertilizer?

As for a CFL, what color temp should I get?

5. You have to be VERY CAREFUL with ferts while your plant is young. Nute burn can happen VERY EASILY! The soils I've mentioned are very reputable and have been mentioned MANY times throughout the forum.