Help with technical stuff please

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Shaawing, Mar 23, 2017.

1. #1 Shaawing, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    I have been researching a lot to set up my first grow tent and obvioustly picking a light let alone finding a Canadian supplier with good prices (compared to others I've seen)..

I have decided to get a COB but I don't know all the technical jargin.. can anyone please help me out and tell me if these are good lights?

What is white cree? Is that because it is a cob and it's not the blurple leds.. it's just white? And white is full spectrum?

This will go in a 3x3 space, it runs a actual 275+watts but it's a CREE cxb3590 COB so given it being a tiny bit short on watts it's still a great unit correct?

cree cxb 3590 meanwell led grow light

OR is it better suited for a 2x2?

2. Good unit but to veg you need probably a 75% blue and 25% red spectrum meaning color of bulbs. For flower you want the opposite. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you for the reply, I do understand about the red and blue and all that.. I was asking about what spectrum the cree cxb 3590 is... you know if you look at the tech specs of a regular blurple led like mars hydro and it says like 430-440 nm for one color then 620-630 for another... it doesn't say that in the cree cxb 3590 specs that I have seen it just says cree white ..... is this cree white a full spectrum led light..? If they are selling it as a full grow light (veg and flower) wouldn't they already think about the whole red to blue ratio

4. If you read the specs for it in the link I put up it does say veg and flower..

5. #5 Shaawing, Mar 23, 2017
    And how can you tell what wavelength it is to know it's good for only veg? I don't see it on there.....

Sorry if I'm being snippy it 625am lol thanks again

6. I run HP's only any way so I'm not your best canidet for this post. However I do know that the light more or less looks like a flower stage. Sorry I could not help you out. But I don't think that I would buy it. I'd go with a regular led light or something from the same company with that wave length. But the best think we can tell you to do is call the company they must be pros on this subject

7. I'm not an LED user either, but I do want to caution you that overall, the LEDs are very small bodied lights and the sq. footage they cover is less than the HPS lamps with reflectors. They generally only shine straight down, so the area they cover well is limited. Now, in a 3 x 3 space, you're not going to be able to flower more than a couple of plants. But you never want to have to raise your light source just to cover more plants. You will always harvest more in the end off a single plant that gets all the good quality/high wattage flower lighting it receives...along with being tended properly, than you will by attempting to share that one lamp with several plants. You never want to be forced to raise you light source just to cover the number of plants you are attempting to flower since it will just rob valuable rays from all. But definitely...light is the key to a good harvest. As far as the LEDs, not the person to answer your technical jargon questions. We don't use them here yet. The market hasn't caught up with the tech yet and the prices are still a bit high for me. Be careful of a VERY cheap light. The light is the most important piece of equipment to your grow and getting one that doesn't do the job will be a waste and a disappointment. Just do your research before you buy anything. And I'm sure you can google those questions above for answers. Good luck. TWW

8. Yea, I emailed them I'm waiting on a response, thank you!

And I am leaning towards a regular led .. I can get a mars 2 700 ( 300-380 actual draw) for less money.. Im just really trying to understand this cob tech..

9. #9 HotBunz, Mar 23, 2017
    Well I am not quit sure what to make of this light you have listed. But let me try to clear up and answer a couple of your questions. Looking at the specs it says it is using cxb3590 3500K CD bin COBS. These are the 80cri version of this COB. Cree cxb3590 COBs WERE the leader in the COB game.....a year ago. They are very expensive compared to newer products out there i.e. Citizen COBs. The Citizen 1212 chip is less than $15US while the Cree 3590 is $39US. With the fixture you have listed I just can't figure out how they arrived at the 275w power rating. Here is how you figure of the rating on a COB fixture. The cxb3590 CD bin COB is a 36v chip. The driver for this fixture has an output of 1750ma. So doing the math of 36(voltage) x 1.750(amps) each COB is 63watts x by 4 COBs and this fixture is 252 real watts. I can't figure out where their other 25w of output is coming from.

As for the K value of this light there is nothing wrong with the 3500K chip at all. As a matter of fact many photoperiod growers who are building their own COB fixtures are using the 3500K heat range as the go to range for an all in one veg/flower fixture. For an autoflower light I use the 3000K COBS. Now speaking of building your own do you have any DIY skills? Building your own LED COB fixture is very very easy. I know you said you were in Canada and that does make sourcing parts a little harder but I can build a light just like you posted for around $270US. And while 250w is a little short on output for a 3x3 it would give you a very very gone start and give you very nice plants.

COBs are the future of indoor growing. COBs are already blowing HID away in the watt to gram ratio. There is more to a good grow than just lights. A bad grower will grow shit even if they have the best lights money can buy. Look are "The Widow Whites" grow record. I grow 4x more grams per watt using my old cheap Mars 300w fixture than she does with 1,000w of HID and yet she will tell you that cheap Mars lights are junk....go figure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. If it involved sauntering and electrical I wouldn't trust myself to do it but if it was just one of those not assembled packages I can do it.. I am very new to this but I've been researching a lot and I've definately found cob to be the best.. there is a bunch of substandard ones with probably only epistar or even less quality leds.. would it be better to get one of those crappy cobs with a higher wattage rating or just go with something trusted like mars that is not cob? This will be purely hobby but I obvioustly want quality buds..

Like this.. I would get 2 of them for a 2x4 space instead of a 3x3..

Or this? Again, would get 2 for a 2x4

OR just grab a mars cause I know it's a proven brand?

..... the links look weird on my phone if you can't see them it's a roleadro cob and another Chinese generic one on there... they are both 200ish actual draw per unit and $150-200 CAD per unit

11. I just don't want to spend any more than 500 CAD before taxes and I know I can get at least a 300-380 (weirdly large gap) actual draw of the mars brand from a store in my area

12. I can understand trying to stay within a budget! Wiring up a driver and the COB's is very easy. There is a million Youtube videos and other instructions on the internet regarding how it is done. But even then if you still would rather have more of a plug and play type set up have you looked at TimberGrowLights? They have several options that would work in a 3x3 tent. They offer a Citizen CLU048-1212 200w fixture that is $299.00US which I think makes it around $398CN before shipping cost. This is a frameless "kit" but it's all wired and ready to grow. You can either hang the 4 heatsinks separately or make a simple frame using cheap aluminum "L" extrusions.
    200 Watt Citizen CLU048 (4) COB Grow Light Kit

13. I have looked at timber, was considering a pre-made then did the math on exchange and shipping and it was 800 lol.. I'm going to watch some of those videos because if all I need to do is just mount the sink/light on a frame that can't be too hard.. i work in a fabrication shop and we work with stainless steel bar of assorted sizes so I can definately make a strong frame..

200w of that led would be good for a 3x3 space? Or should I downgrade to a 2x2?
    Really only care about growing 1 plant at a time 2 would be nice.. figure if I do it right get a good light and feed it good nutes I can get minimum 4 oz off 1 plant... I know that's subjective to if I'm a good grower too..
    Been researching scrog and training..

14. #14 Shaawing, Mar 23, 2017
    If I build my own though I might buold it on a straight frame with a 2x4 tent instead of a 3x3 cause I like the layout better.. if the wattage of good for that sqftage? 9sqft x40w= 360.. since itshe a cob will it make up for that difference in watts? Or go 2x2?

Edit..
    Looked at the pre-built 200w and it's made for a 2x2 space I would need a 300w for a 3x3 according to their specs

15. I would have no issue putting 200w to get started in either a 2x4 or 3x3 tent. Like I said in one of my other posts it is on the low side of watts per sq foot but it is a great place to get started. Frankly 4 COBs on a single 3 foot long heat sink(with a couple PC fans on it for cooling) down the center of a 2x4 tent with 2 plants under it would really rock a grow!