Help with tacoing leaves.. cal/mag deficiency?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gumby420, Aug 10, 2012.

1. So im veging 9 SFV OGs and 1 Skywalker under 2 1000w hps and a 400 mh. they are all tacoing pretty hard. My temps are great in the room and directly under the plants(74-78), RH is 60-67%, winds not too strong, definitely not overfeeding and feeding with 6.5 ph RO water. They are in 10 gallon smart pots, i flushed them recently thinking it was a salt build up, didnt help and had a runoff ph of 7. I raised my lights, didnt help. I started seeing a little rust coloration and was thinking it might be cal mag deficient. What do you think?
    last pic is the left side of the room, mirror image on the other side

thanks

2. It doesn't look anything like a magnesium deficiency to me.

My guess here is either you need to increase your watering frequency (a dry out will cause these issue) or you need to increase the amount of Potassium available to your plant either by amending the soil (probably too late for that now) or by using a supplement which contains an adequate amount of Potassium.

Typically the leaves curl like that to help them with their respiration and transpiration, as caused by environmental factors. If your waterings have been on point and the issue is nutritional then the only element I think that would be a factor here is Potassium. As the most prevalent element required by Cannabis in bloom it is even more likely that this is what she is hoping for more of. If you have any doubt that the issue could be with your watering frequency, and the media drying out, then I suggest stepping up how often you water before adding any food.

3. I was also thinking it could be potassium. As far as watering, i give them about 1/3 gallon every day or 1/2 gallon and let it dry for a day.

4. [quote name='"gumby420"']

I was also thinking it could be potassium. As far as watering, i give them about 1/3 gallon every day or 1/2 gallon and let it dry for a day.[/quote]

Do you see any runoff?

5. yes i do, but not a substantial amount, how much run off should i be seeing? i was actually thinking about stepping up to a full gallon each. im on week 7 of veg, they probably could use more water.

6. If you are seeing some runoff then that is an indication that the media is evenly saturated. Adding more water like you are thinking about would only result in more runoff, and isn't going to solve the problem.

I think you might want to increase the frequency, not the volume, if it seems like the planters go dry very quickly. I have to water my tomato plants every day or the soil dries out and when I do water again the burst of moisture will split my fruit. Not that this is the same for fruiting cannabis, but it shows us that a plant in flowering will be naturally more tolerant to less frequent dryouts and regularly moist roots. If the root system is healthy and fills the container you should probably be watering when the contains weigh about half what they do right after watering. Lift the planters regularly to get a feel for just how much solution they consume daily and try to keep them from getting too dried out.

7. as far as the potassium deficiency, what are your thoughts on this? i was also considering that after i saw a photo in a book i have. i do have some big bud bloom nutes thats 0-1-3. would it be bad to give it bloom nutes in veg?

8. My og leaves looked like yours and it ended up being over watering. I figured out they (og's) like it dry and cold. gl

9. If the leaves are nice flat and crunchy, you are doing something right, if the leaves start curling up, they are in essence pointing at the problem, you might need to raise'em up or shut'em down!  I would recommend using T5 lighting in the veg, this is good for plants up to about 2', then I would think about putting them under that much light.