Help with subs/amps/etc

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by bakeandskate, Oct 27, 2009.

1. whats up gc. i recently got this sub for free. its pretty big and looks nice. its a blaupunkt. are these any good and how much are they worth. I know nothing about subs or amps so could someone link me or explain how to make them work. What do i need? thanks

[​IMG]

2. that is one of the wierdest sub's ive ever seen, it looks almost like its mounted backward in the box, maybe its just a cover or something. Regardless, the sub need an amp to work, if your running the sub exclusively look for a 300 watt 4 ohm one or two channel amplifyier. Go through your fuse panel and install a 12 guage wire running to the amplifier as a positive, make sure you use a 40 watt or lower fuse so you dont have a fire.

Run the negative wire to the frame of the car. Run a small remote wire to the back of your head unit, find a concealed route and wire it from the head unit back to the amplifier. I always ran all wire behind the dashboard in front of the fire wall making sure to go behind the glove box of the car and not the airbag if there is one. Also make sure you dont go behind the fire wall because this will cause tons of issues.

Next wire two audio cables (like the red and white audio ones used in televisions) from the back of the head unit down the same path all the other wires are put and attach these to the amplifier, wire up everything (make sure there is no fuse in for the positive cable) there should be a positive and negative wiring location on the back of the amp and the sub. Hook positive to positve, negative to negative.

Put in the positive fuse and adjust your head unit setting and you should be good to go

If you dont understand something I said go to a professional or find a friend who knows what they're doing.

3. The poster above me failed to take into account interference.

Figure out which side of your car the battery is on. It's easy if you use color coded wires. Red for hot wire (the "powered" wire), green or brown for your Ground, and blue for your remote antenna.

Connect Hot wire to battery, find a way for it to go through the firewall of your car. Many times there will be wire harnesses already through the firewall, you can use those. Run the hot wire down one side of the vehicle to the amplifier (Remove door trim first for wire concealment). Also, remember, THE BIGGER THE SUB, THE BIGGER YOUR POWER WIRE NEEDS TO BE. A 650watt sub requires an 8 guage wire. The higher your wattage...the bigger the wire

Next, run your power antenna (Blue wire) down the SAME side of the vehicle as the hot wire. You can now return that side's door trim. You're done with power. You don't need any particular guage for this.

Now, take your audio video cable (Black wire with red and white connectors/heads/leads) and connect them to the back of your head unit. Like the remote antenna, run this behind the dash and down the OPPOSITE side of the vehicle as the hot wire. The high amperage and wattage from the battery will result in interference in the form of static in your speakers, so never run your audio and power side by side. Connect your audio cable to the amp. Replace door trim...that's done.

Lastly, find a spot of bare metal in your car, or a bolt that is tapped into bare metal. (I use an actual grounding block and drill a hole in the floor board). Connect the brown or green (Ground wire) to the bolt. If there isn't a bolt, drill a hole and put one there. As with the power wire...the more watts your sub is...the bigger the wire.

Once everything is powered, connected, and grounded, you can now attach your speaker wires to the sub woofer. You can run this under the carpet if you want. The bigger the guage wire, the less resistance, the better the sound.

Turn your ignition on...check to see if your amplifier powers on, if it does...you're usually ready for thump thump

Also, don't forget to soundproof your trunk!!! A cheap way of doing it if you can't afford dynamat is a layer of that eggcrate style foam mattress covers you get from wal-mart.

Glue to the back of your liscense plates some rubber washers/grommets and tighten it as tight as possible without stripping your screws to keep it from sounding like a can of angry bees.

the genius

4. thanks for the replies. how do i fix my subwoofer. the person who gave it to me said i would have to flip it around

5. One thing they forgot to mention is that you must have an aftermarket radio with the rca pre-outs for the above intallation to work. Most stock radios are a little more involved to hook up. Also, to an extent, you cant have too big of power and ground wires.

to "fix" that sub take a screw driver and loosen the screws around the outside circumference of the sub, holding it to the box. flip the sub over and viola! of course that is assuming your box has a terminal cup to connect the sub and box to the amp (think the little red and black tabs on home theater system speakers) thus allowing the sub wires to be hidden inside the box.