Help with spider mites 4 weeks into flowering... anyone had any experience with this?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by naughty0, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Hi Guys, as I said a week or so ago, I discoverred a dredded spider mite infection on my babies. My first plane was to spray them all down with water on the leaves (this was 10 days ago) and buy some predatory mites to eat them. Problem is it's hot (too hot really) in my grow room at the moment and very dry - i think this is killing the predators off and helping the spider mites, either that or spending a small fortune on spider mite predators is the biggest waste of cash.... anyway, please help, I don't really like the idea of spraying my plants with chemicals, especially not the buds as they're startint to show there first crystals now and will be ready for harvest in 3-4 weeks.

So here are my concerns:

- Don't want to spray the buds incase it washes away the THC content thats developed so far

- Dont want to spray chemicals on if it's going to fuck the high (though I have found an organica pesticide spray that's designed for spider mites and claims to be usable right up to harvest, though it's probably similiar to the home brew recipes?)

Um, help???!!

Anybody had a spider mite problem this close to harvest?

Growing indoors in soil btw, plants are leda uno, 5ft ish tall, pics available if realllly needed but I'd rather not upload at this stage if I can!!

2. if u goggle (spider mights) their is lots of organic stuff u can use 2 get rid of the little fuckers

3. neem oil,works fer me been growing years and never had a mite till this year,almost wiped out one of my moms.but killed em off with straight neem oil,its organic and washes off just be sure to coat entire plant underneath especially this is where eggs are laid.as long as u get on top of it you should b fine.I hate em there a pain in the ass.

4. Hey guys, thanks for the reply, my maind concern is now I'm realising I'm gonna have to use chemicals trying to use something that doesn't get on the buds!

One plant seems to only have mites at the top of one stem of buds, do you rekkon neem oil is still the best plan?

thanks for the advice man

5. #5 bulletcatcher, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
    Get a dichlorvos no pest strip and hang it in your grow room 3 nights in a row. Your mites will die, and the bud will not be adversely affected (during the dark period, the stomata close and the plant no longer breathes the atmosphere, so the airborne chemical has no way to enter into the plant, and will not react with the buds or stick to them in any way). Not to mention that even if some miniscule amount ends up on your bud, dichlorvos isn't very toxic. The safety precautions on the strip say to not hang them anywhere that people are for more than 4 hours a day. If direct exposure is that safe, a few molecules of it on a bud aren't going to do anything to you.

edit: spraying for spider mites is a lost cause. Don't bother. You'll never get all of them.

6. Mate that's a brilliant reply but i can't seem to find them in my country (uk) .... *goes to google again*

p.s. first time on grasscity whilst baked