Help with secret jardin dr120 tent setup please!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by mdm31, Nov 23, 2009.

1. #1 mdm31, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2009
    Hi all,

I will be getting this tent very soon. I also plan on using a vortex inline 4inch fan and a 4 inch carbon scrubber. My lighting is a 600watt mh/hps setup with a vented hood.

my first question is, how should i vent the hood and set up the carbon filter? Should i leave the left end of the hood open to suck air out of the tent, then have the right end connected to my vortex, which goes out the top of my tent and on the top of the tent (outside the grow chamber) i will connect the carbon scrubber? Will this work? Can you blow exhaust into carbon filters, or is it better to have the carbon filter in the top of the grow chamber with the fan sucking air through it then out of the tent?

Or,
    should i buy two vortex inline fans, one for just the scrubber duties, then one pulling air from outside the tent, through the hps hood, the back out the tent?

If anyone could show me some pics of their setups i would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers.

2. Most filter I see are designed to have air pulled through them. Most have a fabric pre filter that wraps around the outside. Go with two fans, you will be able to keep it much cooler, although it will be louder.

3. will I have to worry about scent getting sucked through the hood at all? Im going to be running a hood with the tempered glass cover.

For colling the hood would you recommend sucking air from outside the tent, blow through the hood, then back out the tent?

So then with the carbon filter I just hang it in the top and then have the fan pull air out through the top of the tent correct?

Cheers

4. You got it. Just make sure your hood venting is sealed and you wont have an odor issue.

5. So i drew a diagram to explain my idea a little better:

[​IMG]

Blue color is cooled air, red color is warm warm. Everything else is labeled out.

Would that work for me? Will i still retain negative pressure? I don't want any scent seeping out at all.

Have a good day guys!

6. If you got a hood with a lens I am sure it is sealed. If not just go to home depot and find the thinnest foam strips you can get to place around where the reflector meets the glass. What are you planning for intake? You can adjust your intake so you get your negative pressure.

7. did you see my pic above? will I still have negative pressure with that setup?

8. I don't see any intake holes on your diagram.

9. The tents themselves have intake flaps at the bottom you can open up.

If your cool air is just flowing through and out from the bulb, you should be just fine with another 4" fan pulling through a carbon filter and exhausting. That''ll keep negative pressure.

You only really would have to worry about losing negative pressure with this setup if you had something venting into the tent, but you won't, you'll have something venting through the tent, it won't contribute to the internal pressure much, if at all.

Looks like a really good setup. You would be able to get the light probably as close as 6-12" with a vented light like that.

10. Sorry, I missed your link to that reflector. that is the same reflector I run with a 400 watt. It is totally sealed. Just make sure you get the proper spacer if you run a 400 or 600 watt bulb. It moves the bulb over so it is centered in the fixture.

11. Will this setup work out? Fan will be a 4inch vortex fan, and im going to use the same sealed hood that i linked a few posts above. I will have the vent flaps open to create negative pressure, and will also have fans in the tent for circulation.

[​IMG]

Can that be done? I don't want any smell leaking out and with the sealed hood I should be okay right?

The tent is 4x4x7 BTW

Cheers!

12. Yeah I think im gonna go with that setup, I dont like the idea of running two vortex powerfans due to noise and power consumption.

13. [quote name='mdm31']Will this setup work out? Fan will be a 4inch vortex fan, and im going to use the same sealed hood that i linked a few posts above. I will have the vent flaps open to create negative pressure, and will also have fans in the tent for circulation.

[​IMG]

Can that be done? I don't want any smell leaking out and with the sealed hood I should be okay right?

The tent is 4x4x7 BTW

How's this setup workin for you?? I'm about to order the same tent and light. Was thinking however, that you're scrubber is interfering with the cooling effectiveness of the fan for the light.
    How are your temps? I thought your first design was fine...

-:smoking:cheers

14. I have yet to set it up, im on vacation right now.

Im thinking im gonna use just a simple booster fan to move air across the light, then run my vortex with the can fan.

Ive seen it done and its rather effective. Ill let you know how it all goes mate.

Happy holidays everyone

15. I use these tents and you might find that running the scrubber and hood off one fan will give you temp issues

look at it this way - you will need a single much larger and more powerful fan to run both items at once

your best way to go and cheapest is to run the hood with a budget 100mm vent fan and the scrubber with a decent HVK

also even with the flaps open you will have negative pressure and suck in the sides of the tent - the flaps have a light baffling material in and this seriously affects air flow - you also get intake socks with the DR range so use them - either put another budget 100mm fan in there or keep the socks open with some ducting

keeping the socks open will help with ventilation but probably not the negative issue

by the way the fans themselves make very little noise - it's the sound of the air travelling through the ducting that is noisy so you might want to invest in some insulated ducting if you plan on using a fair amount of it ;O)

16. Hey man,

Just started looking to set up my own grow box and saw your doodle. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking aswell. Im not using a tent though. Just firing it together out of some old mdf lying around and linning it myself. Let us know if it's working. Gonna be buying all the stuff pretty soon.

Running it all in a single line makes sense... thats as long as it works. I don't want to fry the first batch of seeds! Maybe run it through the light first??

Laters... and good luck