help with scrog grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by edwardvanhalen, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hey guys, i really need some help with the scrog method.

My questions are, how big do the holes of the netting have to be.
    Would i be able to use string to make a net for the scrog, I am just looking for some good info so if somebody can help me out i would appreciate it.

2. Most people use squares between 3"x3" to 2"x2". Speaker wire works well. The main thing to keep in mind is that if the string/wire is too thin, it is sharp which can cust tops right off when moving and bending them. Don't use fishing line. It is too "sharp". Also, there is a really good sticky in the advanced growing section under the plant training sub forum.

3. I made my screen with string and I'll be changing that next time around... The string is just too loose and doesn't hold in place well enough. Next time around I'll use some kind of metal fencing like K.O.G.

Also, my squares are 2x2, I'll probably go 3x3 next time.

4. 14 gauge electrical wire is pretty cheap and really easy to work with. I agree with 2x2 to 3x3. I have scrogged all 3 of my grows in my sig, learning more each time.

5. [​IMG]

I bought this stuff at Lowes. 2x2, it works great.

I use 3x3 outside.

6. I used Mason line and PVC pipe to make my screen... 2" x 2" holes in my screen. Check out the link in the signature!

7. #8 mytalizas32, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
    To add to what the other guys have mentioned, using a thinner line will cut into the plant. I used the weed wacker line. It's strong and will hold down the plant if you have the right frame.

As my frame, i used 1/2" pvc pipes and the cons of using this is when you do put together your net, you will notice the center is flimsy. When you try to tighten your net, all it does is pull the pvd pipes together, thus cause the net to be loose at the other end. I would highly recommend using a wood frame so it will hold it's place and you'd be able to tighten the net.

As for the size, I've done 3x3 and 2x2. I recommend 2x2 or 2.5x2.5. With big size squares like 3x3, I have problems with tucking it. Sometimes, the branch is not quite long enough to tuck under the next square, so I have to let it grow taller in order to reach, and it blocks light to the smaller ones. To me, the 3x3 squares slow growth.

Using the 2x2 or 2.5x2.5, the distance between each squares are obviously closer, but this allows branches not long enough for the 3x3 to be tucked on then 2.5x2.5 or 2x2. When you're able to tuck, the branch is kept under the screen, thus allowing other smaller branches to be revealed to the light which promotes faster growth.

This is all of course, from my experience of 3 scrogs.

8. Thanks for that link I really think that helped a lot. One of my main concerns is though. I take my plant out of my closet to water it because I just have to so I don't know what I can do in that situation

9. With a SCROG you WILL NOT be able to move your plants. Period.

10. not true. you can mount your screen on a 4 legged stand coming up from your pot allowing you to move the screen and pot together.

or for instance, my screen is mounted by magnets. i can't really move it during the scrog process, but once the screen is full and all the buds are above the screen, i can totally move it.

11. Not what I meant. He said he moves his plants out of the closet to water them... Once they're in the screen, that ain't gonna be the case.

12. yes you can. you totally missed my point.

13. Yeah my ScrOG setup can be moved too... Photos in my journal in the signature! :D

14. I've seen a scrog setup on wheels.
    You could take it for a stroll in the park.

15. yes, just wat others said and what i said. As long as your screen is connected to a platform or something on wheels, then you'd be able to move it, so long as your screen fits thru the door or if you have a garage door, even better.

16. No, actually I didn't. I have seen screens on platforms with wheels. I believe the OP wanted to know if he would be able to move his plants out from UNDER the screen. I may be wrong, but that is how I took it.

17. If the OP meant moving the plant from under the screen, I'd say NO. I prefer not to touch them once they are already under the screen. It's already using the screen as support, so it may be ugly....