Help With Pruning/topping Outdoor Plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Somniphile, Jun 8, 2014.

1. I need some advice about topping outdoor plants. The 10 girls in the attached picture had to be planted on limited space and now one can clearly see which side of the flower bed get's the afternoon sun...

Should they be brought back to the same height or left alone?? What would you do with this setup of 10 plants?

Attached Files:

2. If you can maybe tie them to the left to get the same height that might help. After they get so big they might start shading them ones. You might need to move your fence a few inches.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Trim out some of the bottom branches,fan leaves, etc. Also don't be afraid to top those girls they look great and would make some great clones, and this will give you a more even canopy (Better light!!) All of this "training" will push more energy into the tops which is what you are after. What I would do to get better light would be to get some t-posts or something similar and put one on each corner of the box (4 total). Then get some trellis netting (4" works best for me) and zip tie it to the posts. You want the netting about 3" above the plants and as they start to grow through either pull them down, or cross-hatch them into the next square. Look up SCROG growing and you will get an idea of what I am talking about. Hope this helps lemme kno.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 Somniphile, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks, I'll definately trim out the bottom branches and fan leaves. They are getting really dense at the bottom. However it seems like the plants are naturally doing their own SCROG. Bottom branches are getting really long and reaching upwards to the top of the canopy.

When you do the lolly-popping bottom trim how far up do you go?? They have nice big stems, but it's a dense bush down there :)

I'll update with another pic soon. They have come along quite nicely!

5. #5 snoopdog6502, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
    You have absolutely nothing to gain by pruning or topping. Those methods are more suited to indoor.

Just let them grow.

6. I agree with the pruning but I like to top my plants that are outside. I find that I get a bigger yield and where i'm a gorilla stile grower my plants keep a lower profile. I don't like to tie them because I like to think my plants are so camouflaged with the surrounding area that you'd have to walk on top of them to see them.