Help with pro legalization paper

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by YipKong, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Hey im writing a paper for my college, anyways im trying to find some good info on my point #2.

Point #2 is, when summed up, that keeping Marijuana illegal funds various illegal organizations which in turn promote bad/inmoral things both around the world and in our everyday life.

Also if you want to contribute any other info if you got something good, my other points are that

#1 - keeping it illegal has failed and at a great cost both to our judicial system as well as taxpayers

#3 - modern science has proven false many past negative stances against marijuana as well as many past studies being disproven/inaccurate

2. #2 Madrid, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
    Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard told lawmakers. "The violence that we see in Mexico is fueled 65 to 70 percent by the trade in one drug: marijuana."
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/17/mexican.drug.war/

http://stopthedrugwar.org/reader_blogs/2009/mar/19/dea_mexico_chief_reyes_lists_rea
    During an interview with Al Roker, on his recent MSNBC television, special Marijuana, Inc., DEA Mexico and Central America Chief Raphael Reyes shared some thought provoking facts. He said that fully 60% of the Drug Cartel profits come from the sale of cannabis.
    Reyes went on to say that:

1. “Marijuana is the cartel's cash cow. Cheap to grow, and extremely profitable.”
    2. “The tried and true method of making money has always been marijuana. It is what allows them to further their basis of operations into other drugs, for example cocaine, heroin and meth-amphetamine. They are all fueled by the proceeds generated through marijuana.”
    3. “The US consumer is their #1 customer.”

PRofit margins are insane because of illegality. 1 cannabis plant can yield up to 1500-3000 dollars in profit. Its easy, cheap and extremely profitable, this is the incentive for crime. If it were legal, people would buy from 7/11's instead of shady drug dealers

the drug dealers who sell pot also sell other harder drugs and try to push it on their customers, creating a gateway effect.

you dont see people buying cigarettes in dark alleyways and people shooting eachother over bottles of alcohol.

3. thank you, thats what i wsa lookin for. i knew the current mexico situation was funded in large part from it but i couldnt find the numbers/source that had it most just said what was going on not how it was funded