Help with PC fans

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BigGuy88, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Ok so i have a few old computers laying around, i want to set up the fans on my grow box but am confused about how to. Do you keep it hooked up to the motherboard?, if not how do you supply power to it?

thanks,

2. idk about the motherboard but you can take 12v adapters from modems, chargers, etc. and splice them to the fan wires... there should only be pos and neg wires, if theres a ground youll either have to attatch it to some kind of metal to ground it. then all ou have to do is plug it in.

3. I found an old cell phone charger at home, it was 12 volts DC, and I just spliced the wire and hooked it up to the red & black wires of the pc fan, and it worked fine. There was a yellow wire on my PC fan also, but I didn't use that one. If you're going to hook up multiple PC fans to one charger, I think you have to check the amps of the charger to see that it is powerful enough to power the total amount of amps that each fan uses.

4. power to ground? :(

if you dont want to mess with your PSU, just get a 12V AC->DC wall adapter from radio shack. red to red or yellow (depending on the fan) and ground to ground will take you there.

5. How to turn a PC fan into an exhaust or intake fan?

You will need:

Electric Tape
    PC Fan(s)
    Cell Phone Adapter
    Something to strip wire. (i use needle nose but you gotta be good to do it properly)

I'm going to wire two pc fans at once, for the heck of it. I'm no electrical expert, so you may want to look this up further - but i have had no problems yet. you want to match the voltage, and outputs from the fan, to the cord, as close as possible, i havent had a problem with any cell phone charger yet.

Here is the cell phone charger:

[​IMG]
    Here are the fans i will be using, if your fans have a yellow wire, ignore it, we are only worried about black and red here.

[​IMG]

Now if you look close, on the cell phone charger, one of the wires has a white line, this has gone both ways before, but it's susposed to tell you what is postivie (black) and what negative (red). As i said it's gone both ways, but don't worry - it will only work one way, so before you tape them up and call it done, make sure it works, if it doesnt, switch them around. I reccomend trying Red to the white lined wire first, as so far for me it's mostly been negative(red).

Now you need to strip the wires on the fans, like you should have already done with the charger.

[​IMG]
    You can connect them with the wire connectors at a hardware store - but we are homeade here, a little electric tape will do, match your wires up, make sure black doesnt touch red, when you tape them you will do so seperatly, like in the image below, now remeber to make sure it works before you go taping it up, but dont touch the wires when you plug it in.

Now mount your fans wherever you want.

6. This is correct info to use a PSU without a motherboard. Pardon my total lack of computer know-how but if you look at the big bunch of wires coming from the back of your PSU (as opposed to the smaller bunches with the smaller plugs) you'll see one green wire and a bunch of other different colored ones. Among these others you'll find a few black wires. Pick ~any~ of the black wires from this bunch and splice it to the green one. Make sure you do it as securely as possible (wirenuts & electrical tape, soldering, whatever), attach your fans to the designated Molex connectors from the other bunches of wires and you're good to go! I was sweating bullets when I first made the cuts and splices like it was some episode of "24" or something but it worked fine! Just make sure it's unplugged before you start cutting ;-)