Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Help with Parents

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Mr. White, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Alright so first things first, I am 18 and a senior in high school, so I still live with my parents.

Recently my mom found out I lied about something and thought it would be a good time to see if i "have lied about anything else." The other week she confronted me about smoking pot, and naturally I told her "no".

Now I know that if i tell her now as opposed to her finding out later it will definitely be better, but it also more than likely means being watched like a hawk at least until i go off to college (and i might go to a local jr. college so possibly 2+ years).

For some reason I have had this idea of a great open and honest relationship with my mom, but I also know that it will have its downfalls.

I would love to be open with my mom, but I really don't think marijuana has affected me in any way, and I think to force me to stop would just be stupid. I have been smoking regularly (for me that means 3-7 days of the week), and this last semester I even got straight a's with some honors courses thrown in there.

So basically I am looking for any advice I can get, but I really don't want to hear "just stop smoking until you move out." If that is your viewpoint, at least elaborate somewhat so that I can be persuaded a little more.

Thanks in advance.

2. I think you should tell her you smoke.

If you don't smoke on her property, there's really nothing she can do or logically complain about. You're 18, you're an adult, you can make your own decisions.
    And yeah, she'll respect you more if you tell her you smoke, instead of her finding out coz you come home reeking of buds with the mean red eyes and going straight to the kitchen.

...imo.

3. Tell her your story with herb.
    show her the facts.
    remind her you not a child.

4. Ha ya that's what i was thinking, but she also always says "you have so much going for you" and i am afraid she will say only because its illegal and she doesnt want an arrest to be on my record.

thanks for the advice too.

hahaha thats exactly how it goes to, but i use drops and cologne lol but i get where you are coming from.

thanks a lot for the advice.

5. I was kind of in the same position as you up until a few days ago actually. My mom made a comment that I should stop smoking because she found a pack of cigarettes on my dresser. The next day she made a comment along the lines of me needing to stop smoking the 'evil weed', but was rather nonchelant about it. She knows I smoke reefer, I come home reeking of it high out of my mind and doesn't seem to care. I say the best way to go is to tell her.

For the record the reason she said something about stoping is because I had bronchitis a month ago and am getting the cough back...

6. #6 Fuzion_, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009

Life will be 10x easier if you don't tell her and let shit be. Trust me it's just not worth it...if you can make it to college with out getting caught then your pretty much in the clearing. But, I don't know your situation and you said you would feel better telling her so do what you feel is right bro.

Edit: If your parents are like mine the initial reaction will be "omg drugs are bad!" and they will look at you different. It's a LONG process to get them to accept that smoking weed isn't a big deal and that it really isn't that harmful. Also, its pretty damn awkward lol..

7. ya thats kind of what i was thinking. And until tonight i figured my mom would be like "omg drugs are bad!" but then tonight for some reason i got this feeling that as long as i am open things will be all right.

Like she was telling me that when she would get home at night she couldn't even fall asleep unless she was completely honest with her parents about what she did that night (which i will NEVER be that open lol) but it did make me wonder if maybe if i try to be open she could try to be understanding.

I think I have decided against telling her right now mainly for the reason of wanting to get things planned out. I want to go into this prepared and with facts on hand and presented in a neat fashion. I have a gut feeling that if I can find a good way to "sell" it (which i think is a skill of mine) she might be okay with it or some sort of understanding could be made.

My hopes are that she will say something along the lines of "okay but no driving with it, don't spend all of your money on it, and don't do it every moment of everyday" but then again maybe thats too much to ask? lol

Any advice you guys still want to give is cool and will be read, but i think i have made up my mind.

8. You could just continue to tell her no until you get caught, and then insist that when she had asked you before, you really hadn't, and were telling the truth. While it might not seem that believeable, if you're persistent enough about it, and persuasive, it could work. It worked for me. Whatever you tell her, stick to your story. Don't start changing shit or she'll obviously know you're lying. And remember, your mom is going to want to believe that you don't smoke weed often, if she's anti-weed, so it'll be a little easier to convince her of that. Parents don't want to think that their children, especially those who can't even legally drink yet, are potheads. Well, the lame parents at least, haha.

9. You can just tell her that you are an adult, and if worse comes to worse, you are man enough to take the consequences for your actions (but, if shit goes bad :p Go back and ask your mommy for help ^_^)

Definitely.. Don't say a WORD to her about 'selling' it, if you think she's worried about a record. My parents are cool with me smoking, but, I even asked my dad a while back hypothetically what he'd do if he found out I was growing or selling it, and he said he'd call the cops. xD
    If parents allow you to smoke, most will draw the line at selling

10. i think he means selling the story. not selling bud lol

11. #12 Mr. White, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
    Haha ya i meant selling the story but i do like the idea of saying i didn't smoke at the time lol.

EDIT: and yeah i have seen the union and i have thought about using it as a tool to show her my side of the story. I think when i do tell her I will definitely use it, but that may be a couple of years. I guess i'll just see how things pan out.