Help with my hydro setup...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by LS1KILR, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Ok I have assembled a 5 gallon bubble bucket with some parts from lowes. It came out perfect. I followed the bubble bucket thread exactly. Ok, I germinated a couple seeds last night. Put them in a glass and they were at the bottom in the morning. One of them already had a piece of root poking out of the seed. I dont have access to a hydro shop where I live, so I am using most stuff from lowes/home depot. I filled my plastic basket with spaghnum moss up about 6 inches in the basket. Then I put a little bit of organic potting mix in the middle of the bucket on top of the moss. Then, I took the seedling and carefully put it on the soil and covered it up lightly. Next, I took my homemade clay pellets and covered the moss with them leaving an open spot for the plant to grow through.

Then, I turned on the air pump so the bubbles would just tickle the bottom of the basket. And I put a piece of plastic over the top to hold some moisture near the seed and set the whole bucket in a warm shady spot. Does this sound good? Is it ok to start the seed out in the bubble bucket like that? I dont ever want to transplant them, thats why i did it. Also I used distilled water to fill the bucket. Hopefully my plant will come up in a couple days. :p I have 2 fluro tubes just to get it started. They are 20 watts,6500k, and just 1025 lumens each. I am about to build a grow room in my closet for it and another plant im adding. Then i will use alot more fluro tubes and possibly some CFLs. I am planning on using the Lucas method for feeding them with stuff from lowes/home depot. Sound ok?

2. just be sure to change your resovouir regularly and balance the ph diligently. Also, if you could get some higher lumens, it would benefit your plant. The fliuros should werk just fine for the first 2-3 weeks. good luck :)

3. im not so sure about the potting mix in the pot, id be concerned about washout and the problems that may arise from that. i too utilize lowes and home depot alot for varioius supplies. there are various other products you can use for your medium that are stocked at eithere store, shredded coconut shell for one , its cheap and retains water excellently, get some of that and cut it up mix with a little spaghnum and some river rock gravel to creat air pockets and your set, everything else sounds ok.................peace