Help with my grow tent shopping cart

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by calikevin87, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Bump

Got my Photon Fantom WaVy Boards in the mail today, they are some beauts for sure-

IMAG0150.jpg IMAG0151.jpg

Since they are 2800mA I'll be pairing them with an HLG-320H-C2800A. More pictures coming soon, everything is almost set up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nice..
    The USPS screwed up mine again and now they should be due in today..Problem is I have to take down a plant today and that comes 1st.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You picked up the WaVy Boards too or did you get some different boards?

4. I already have a qb288 and 4x qb132s..I bought 2x the Sunboards w/ alternating leds..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Very nice, I almost picked up two of those SunBoards and two of the WaVy Boards but hadn't found too much info on how well the alternating spectrums perform. I'm glad you bought them to help us find out, and I'll be doing the same with the WaVy Boards.

6. Ain't it great being guinea pigs..LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Okay, almost everything is here, had to send the duct fans back becuase they sent me the wrong model, so waiting on a refund for those then I can get the right ones. Got the driver for the lights today so I'm pretty much ready to get them set up.

What would be to easiest way to make a frame for the lights? Anyone know if Home Depot does custom aluminum cuts for stuff like that? I was thinking of making a PVC frame and screwing the lights into that, would that be okay?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Pvc is flimsy.. i wouldn't attatch My lights to it for sure

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

9. That was my main concern with the PVC pipes, the lights are extremely lightweight but I have a feeling the PVC would give way over time. Aluminum is sounding like the best bet, just not the easiest to source around here. What about wood, like a frame made from 1x2s or something similar?

10. I mean yeh.. nut a couple pieces of aluminum from the scrap yard would probably work best

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

11. Just get the Angle and a cheapo metal hacksaw..I would tap and use M3 screws myself, but a simple cheap rivet gun is just fine..you should file down the cuts and avoid sharp edges..

12. Damn, I am not a machinist, metal worker or electrician, all of which would be extremely useful trade skills to have right now.

What kind of aluminum should I look for? I can handle sawing and filing down but I have no idea what kind of metal to start with, like a slab or rails/bars? This is for 4 of the WaVy boards

13. I would use 1/8 inch aluminum angle iron..and I am not any of those things you mentioned either. I do have a few tools in my garage and like playing around..In fact, cutting a straight line is a very tough chore for me..LOL:
    All these tools are cheaper at harbor freight tools, albeit lesser quality.
    Everbilt 1-1/2 in. x 48 in. Aluminum Angle with 1/8 in. Thick-801747 - The Home Depot

HDX 10 in. Standard Hacksaw-12150 - The Home Depot
    Stanley 10 in. Medium Duty Riveter-MR33C - The Home Depot

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. #95 calikevin87, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Now that I see what you mean by aluminum angle I have a better idea of what to do, thank you. Should I use a Tee angle piece for in between the boards, or should I just zip-tie them together in the middle areas? Or should I make a separate frame for each light?

Pic for reference:

[​IMG]

I have a bunch of ratcheting hangers as well, would it not be advisable to clip these directly to the pre-drilled holes in the boards?

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  15. It looks like a tap set would be the cheaper option versus a riveter/rivets, that would be more secure too right? I'd like to use these screws, what size tap would I need for it?

Everbilt M3-0.5 x 20 mm. Phillips Flat-Head Machine Screws-39448 - The Home Depot

Or are those not the correct screws?

16. Screws are your choice as is what size you use..I would use the M3s..
    Something like this is what you want then..(At Harbor Fgt, You can return them forever..LOL
    Snap1.jpg

17. What size tap would I need for the M3 screws I linked above? Is it a 0.5mm? To be honest I've never used any of this equipment (tap/die/riveter) before but I know I can figure it out once I have the right tools lol. Would you recommend the riveter instead or are the screws stronger?

18. Again..your call..I am a novice as well.
    I would choose the Screws over the Pop rivets, as they are much sturdier, although the rivets are quick and 'dirty'

I think the .5mm refers to outer screw diameter and .20mm = screw length, but..I am not sure,the people at Harbor fgt can advise..Buy the screws and take them when you get the tap and die set..You also need OIL like 3 in one to keep the tap moving etc..
    Take a piece of scrap something and try the tap out before going for the gusto.

like this:

• Like Like x 1