Help with my grow tent shopping cart

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by calikevin87, Jan 27, 2018.

1. #1 calikevin87, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Hey everyone, here's the deal. I have some space in my attic I'm looking to populate with a grow tent. I am planning on scrogging a single plant in the 3x3 space and seeding and vegging in the smaller space in the tent.

I want something that will be able to produce enough constantly so I don't need to buy flower anymore.

I want to get all the equipment I might need so I don't run into any issues and have to order something in a panic.

I want good equipment, that will last me through many grow tents and rooms if possible.

I have some screenshots of my shopping cart, and wanted to know if this setup would be overkill for the size tent I am trying to put together. How important is it really to have the inline fans for intake and exhaust, and the co2 and purifier? Would I have a large yield with just oscillating fans and the light? Honest feedback is appreciated here as this is my first real grow tent and I want to get everything done properly, not half-assed or cheaply. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Updated item list-

Gorilla Shorty 3x3 - $292.99
    Photon Fantom WaVy Board 240 x4 - $200
    Woods 50015WD Digital Timer - $23.27
    Hanna Instruments HI 981504 pH, TDS & Temperature Monitor - $195.95
    Autopilot Desktop Co2 Monitor Data Logger - $79.99
    NewAir 320 CFM 3-Speed Portable Evaporative Cooler and Tower Fan for 100 sq. ft. - $75.99
    General Hydroponics Eco Complete Power Grower GH4830 - $95.60
    General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Plugs - $14.14
    Canna Expandable Coco Coir Brick 40L Soil Growing Medium Substra RHP, 40 Liters - $24.92
    General Hydroponics Ph Control Kit - $11.54
    General Hydroponics Flora Series Performance Pack - $42.48
    Exhale CO2 Bag - $29.29
    House & Garden Roots Excelurator Root Stimulator - $28.97
    House & Garden Drip Clean 250mL - $16.50
    Phresh Intake Air Filter 6" x 12" - $74.99
    Apollo Horticulture 6" 390 CFM Inline Duct Fan with Built in Variable Speed x2 - $130.78
    Apollo Horticulture 6" Premium Carbon Charcoal Air Filter - $59.09
    12pcs Adjustable Yoyo Hanger - $24.94
    Total: $1,421.43

Sent from my HTC U11 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm not sure why you need an air purifier. You definitely don't need a seedling heating mat unless you live in a cold state you probably don't need a tower fan but that's up to you.

Make sure your filters match the ducting dimensions on your intake and outtake ports.

I wouldn't buy any LEDs from amazon. There are LED sellers on GC that have great affordable options and best of all can be returned.

That perlite is a massive ripoff. Go to homedepot or lowes website and check out their offers for bulk perlite, it's insanely cheap.

Also there are cheaper options for oscillating fans man.

Pre washed coco is also a ripoff, buy compressed bricks and make sure to rinse them thoroughly with a hose.

Not sure what the gen hydro waterfarm thing is.

I also would probably hold off on the Co2 stuff until you get a few grows under your belt but it's up to you.

"Hey baby, I hear the blues a-callin'
    Tossed salad and scrambled eggs.."

• Like Like x 1
  3. Air purifier was a consideration due to the grow being in the attic, but I guess the Phresh intake filter would negate the need for the purifier, right?

It's from eBay not Amazon, though they do sell them on Amazon. Are you saying that MaxBloom isn't a reputable enough brand to warrant spending the money on? I honestly didn't think to look on GC for growing equipment. I am using PayPal credit so that's why I was using eBay.

The fans. I know they are kind of expensive but I wanted something quiet with good oscillating airflow. Noise is a factor since this will be in the attic above a bedroom, and I want to avoid all possible vibration and noise. If you know of specific better options please let me know.

Should I bother getting any co2 equipment at all, like sensors to monitor levels at least? Or just wait to see if I run into problems during the grow?

4. What I would do is probably rig an intake to outside by making a hole in the wall but that's just me. Vibration and noise can be dealt with by layering something under the tent as its base. You could use thick quilts or cheap audio booth foam.

I don't know much about co2 so I can't really comment on that.

To be honest I'm not sure the purifier would do much if your concern is dust. If the attic hasn't been cleaned often it will probably need to be cleaned or vented because your buds are gonna get covered in dust any time you open the tent door. I have 2 cats and my tent is in a closet in a seperate room and their hair got all over my buds, I spent hours picking it out. Also depending on how hot it gets up there you may want 2 intakes.

Attics get hot, if you don't have ventilation up there there's a good chance your tent is going to get in the 90s+

"Hey baby, I hear the blues a-callin'
    Tossed salad and scrambled eggs.."

• Like Like x 2
  5. #5 Crosshairs, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Take the jump for gorilla in price, im regretting not doing so, the walls will collapse on a cheaper tent with negative pressure for sure, you can build a supporting frame out of pvc or try gorilla instead,, those leds are bunk dont waste your money do more research into quantumboards and cobs. Co2 seems pointless in a cheap tent, and if your venting constantly as you will need to to regulate humidity and temp youll be losing co2, seems only worth it in a sealed environment with closed loop heat/humidity control. If you have a local hydro store/gardencenter take a browse there for nutrients and maybe coco, ordering a moisturized bag through mail doesnt seem optimal and price efficient, i swear i payed way less than that for 2 50L bags. Ive heard of nutrients arriving dried out or leaking, I dont trust these bottles much not to leak I would try to get local if you can. Also look into some beneficial microbes, I use growers recharge and mammoth p which many people seem to get good results with
    Also KEY TOOL for growing in coco(or anything really), you will need a quality TDS and PH Meter, cheaper ones ive found to go bad or not be accurate, get a quality one to ensure your feeding the right ph and not overfeeding. Bluelabs is highly recommended, they need to be calibrated monthly. If the probe goes bad it is replaceable without having to buy a new unit

For your dust situation you may want to look into Dustshrooms or some sort of inline hepa filter for intake, or get the basic honeywell hepa air purifier, its filters are cheap and always avalible unlike offbrands purifiers which seem to get over pricey for a dumb filter instead of the one you were considering, ive seen it used in network closets/computer rooms

• Like Like x 1
  6. Man i can build you a setup for a hell of alot cheaper than that... get a 4x4 tent with 3x mars 400 led.. get a 3 part nutrient system.. botanicare or something or another get your medium and a good ph meter.. some pH up and down.. couple 3 gallon and 5 gallon pots.. say 4 of each.. get your seeds... go ahead and get a 6 or 8 inch out take fan.. and get a 4 inch intake fan.... also spring Forman inkbird temp controller... there about 30 bucks... you should be set bro..

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. If it's gonna be hot up their spend some money on a portable ac... hell that controller that you have up there that you don't need cost more than an a/c

• Like Like x 1
  8. I wouldn’t bother with led also search inkbird on Amazon temp controller works really well

• Like Like x 1
  9. Led works just fine.. inkbird is a great idea.. I also mentioned it...

• Like Like x 3
  10. I have 5 led lights I use in a veg room but use 5 x 600 watt lights in flower room growth is quite slow with my leds

• Like Like x 2
  11. I agree.. I aswell have a 1k hps for flower h and a 680 watt veg mh... HOWEVER he is growing in an attic and will have a huge heat issue...

• Like Like x 1
  12. I also grow in attic my attic is very cold I’m quite lucky really has never have any heat issues

13. I have the basement.. it's 45° I run 1800 watts with only a 6 inch fan that kicks on every few hours I think lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. Build your own scrog net. Those nets are more for support. The holes are to big to work well in a scrog. Plus since it doesn't have a frame you can't pull it right enough that the plant won't push it around.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Damn, those gorilla tents are stupid expensive, but if I'm cutting other costs I can probably spring for it.
    Are you saying I should go with an inline hepa filter over the Phresh intake filter? I will look into the dustshrooms as well, thanks.

I realize it's a little expensive but I have to use PayPal Credit to pay for everything, and that severely limits the options of where I can make the purchase. Is there any reason I don't want a 6 inch fan for both intake and exhaust?

Very true, SoCal attics do not usually stay a habitable temperature. I will probably consider getting an AC unit instead of all the meters and purifier.

What size holes would be ideal for a scrog net if these are too big?

So far what I'm getting is this:

The MaxBloom Cree is no good? The UFO LED was going to be for the seeding and sprouting plants in the small compartment.

Get cheaper fans

The tent is too flimsy (has anyone actually tried these LA Garden tents, or are they exactly the same as the TopoGrow Lodge?)

DEC, co2, and purifier is unnecessary

Get coco brick and wash it myself

Did I miss anything? Thanks for everything so far, it's really helpful.

16. There are $90 4x4 tents on ebay... I have 2.. little flimsy but has never failed on me.. a little duct in the corner and such will save you 100 bucks...

get a bluelab or hannah combs meter

Mars Hydro for your Leds.. Sara is on grasscity and can get you a great deal

Don't know if you have seeds.. but seedsman is the way to go..

Yes you can have a 6 inch on both.. make sure.you buy 2x fan speed controllers...

Also buy 6 of the pulley hangars... your gonna need em...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Also you can find everything on ebay... and I'm sure Amazon takes paypal...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Those $90 tents don't have the separate space for propagation though, do they? Is that just a luxury that's also unnecessary?

Amazon actually does not, we called PayPal and they have been trying to work with Amazon but Amazon has too much money and doesn't want to accept PayPal as a payment form. There is no way to add a PayPal account to your Amazon, and the PayPal Credit doesn't come with a card number you can add for purchases. You can't even buy Amazon Gift Cards with PayPal Credit. It's some bullshit I've already busted my head looking into. My only real option is to find someone on PayPals website that accepts the credit and hope they have everything I need... Hence why I'm on fucking shitty eBay. Not ideal but they take PayPal and shipping is free. Just hope I don't have to return anything.

19. And I think Sara can send you a PayPal invoice for the leds..

• Like Like x 1
  20. I'd say fuck paypal and use that credit to get a normal loan.. that's what I did...