help with my grow setup

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by mjboy, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ok im looking to get these things for my grow and im looking to get the most affordable set up to fit my tent. so if you guys can help that would be great. If you think i can get some of this stuff at a lower cost then please post where and why i would do that.

what am i missing?

heres what i have so far

SUN HUT LG 2 X 4 ENCLOSED GREENHOUSE $111

http://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php/products_id/2547

GXY4 ECW - 400w light system - $205

http://www.pacificcoasthydro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_57_61&products_id=2632

econo wing reflector - 36$

http://www.pacificcoasthydro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1713

Hortilux Metal Ace 400w Conv. $89

http://www.pacificcoasthydro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2192

timer 7 day digital 20$

http://www.pacificcoasthydro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1731

2. are these things to much?

3. Go to disount-hydro.com and get the whole light system with reflector and bulb (and the ballast is switchable) for $200 shipped. ClickHere

No need for a conversion bulb, just pay $25 extra and get a MH bulb with the setup.

Don't use a digital timer, get a Grasslin Grounded Timer from the same site 16$

Gonna need a good fan! Plantlightinghydroponics.com has valuline inline fans for cheap. go there and look at ventilation gear. Get a good scrubber for the air or make your own. Despite what people say, homemade Carbon filters can work if made properly. Search "DIY Carbon Filter" here and on google.

Good choice on the hut, but if you are not having to be stealth, you could frame one in from 2x4s and make a box the same size for waaaaay cheaper. You could use that one though being that you will save money on the other shit. hope this helps:wave::smoke:

4. ok thanks for the info. great help.

on the convesrion bulb , what is it for? and why dont i need it ? whats the difference between that or the MH bulb you suggested?

i sort of need to be stealth but this set up will be going into my garage. I just dont want people that come over to see it so i need to cover it.

5. That will be harder to cover than building a box in the corner of your garage, or just buy a cabinet from the store that would blend in more in the garage.

That conversion buld is to be used in a ballast designed for the opposite type of bulb.

If you get a switchable ballast, you can avoid using a "conversion bulb" and just use a regular MH for veg and a regular HPS for flowering (you just flip a switch on the ballast). The main difference is the ballast required to fir it and the major price difference. If you buy an HPS ballast and use a conversion bulb, it will cost more and they don't really have the life of a regular bulb.

6. ok great so what brand or light would you say i should buy online ( what store ) ?

i might just get a diff setup since you say building it is cheaper.

7. Click that link a couple of posts back. discount-hydro.com.

8. 1000w ValuLine Ballast (w lumewing reflector ? ???

9. Depends on what you want. they have a switchable 400 with bulb and ballast for 200 shipped.

10. ok will it take up a lot of electricity? how do you limit your use of electricity so it doesn't go sky high?

11. Consume power right now. Leave your computer on all day. When you start, you conserve power everywhere else. Keep your computer off unless on it, Turn off lights when not in use (replace those lights with small wattage CFLs), Watch less TV, ect....

If you are using a 400watt light, no real problems in power consumption, draws no more than a PC.
    I have a friend in an APARTMENT, growing with a 1000watt unit in his walk-in closet, crazy bastard.

12. If you have the extra ching, spend away.
    Sounds like you are in the planning stages still. Research, research and research some more on other peoples grows and ask some questions about what they are using, and what you can expect from it. Don't jump into any one thing yet. Do some more homework and it will pay off. It may even cost you less money.

13. yea im looking to get a low costing setup. 1300 is a lot more than i wanted to spend.

the 3 x 3 setup holds about 9 plants so im hoping to lower my cost to start. the good thing that happened today was i met a buddy i went to HS in the hydro shop i priced all this stuff at. He told me he has afghan and bubble gum clones for 10$ and if i wanted some he could give me as many as i wanted.

would it be cheaper to buy my stuff online? or from a shop?

14. Research is the only way to figur out where you will shop for what.

Plantlightinghydroponics.com Has great prices. Sister sight is businesslights.com (some things over there that you cant get on the other site, but same company)

Discount-hydro.com has the best ballst warranty return policy and decent prices on switchable ballasts and such.