Help with my first grow (808)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by jabberjaws, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Boo. So how much longer should I wait to harvest them? I don't want to wait and have them become overwhelmed by seeds... I grew these two from bag seeds, so I wouldn't mind finding 2-4 seeds/gram of bud, as long as it is dank...

It smells like orange juice IMO. :cool:

2. AH HA...I was right see they didnt flower right it hermaphrodited cuz the light cycles are wrong. See what happens when its 6/18 instead of 12/12 the plant thinks the world is ending (actually thinks the season is over and its fucked) so it attempts to pollinate itself in a desperate attempt to get some seeds on the ground before the end of the season. So I dont bite my tongue, ya flower weird ya get weird flowers.

So anywho now that I got that out, that is not a seed those are male flowers on a female plant or in other words its a hermie. So it will be seeded and much of your yield and dankness will now go to the production of seed. If I was you I would go carefully through both plants and cut off any and all of those little hangy balls ya can find and flush em down your toilet, and keep checking on the plant for new ones to take off as the plant matures. Be careful not to break open those balls or otherwise their pollen will be released and you will have seeds galore...although no matter what im guessing you will get some seeds. But your best bet is to cut off as much of those as your can and hope for the best.

just for some extra info all the seeds produced by your plants now will germinate and grow into females (feminized seeds) however they all now are predisposed in their genetics to also hermie...So I wouldnt suggest holding on to your seeds to grow. However if only one of your females actually hermied and it knocks up your other healthy female then those seeds will also be feminized and will less likely herm...so I would use those to grow and be a little happy almost...that I got some feminized seeds...not the best fem'd seeds but nonetheless females

3. I wouldnt harvest early...if you harvest now they may not be full of seeds but they will be too immature and not very dank. They would get your higher when they matured even if they did get seeded. If you harvested right now I would be surprised if ya even got high. Did both herm or only one?

4. Both... I just picked off the pods, and will continue to. """They would get your higher when they matured even if they did get seeded.""" Thanks for that. I'll stick it out.

5. Shoots!

6. #26 clos3tgrow3r, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
    Jabberjaws in my honest opinion please do not listen to most of this^^^ or at least dont take his advice immediately.

Darwin WTF man? You seem to be so certain but all you have seen are two pictures. You are giving him seemingly solid advice on something I know you are not certain about. I bet you havent even seen a hermie before. -rep

Jabberjaws before you start plucking stuff off of your plant take a step back and think. There is one of two possibilities going on:

Either your plants are indeed going "hermie" (due to genetics or because of high stress)
    OR
    Their Calyxs are swelling up simply as the progression of flowering continues.

First of all to answer this question:
    "So how much longer should I wait to harvest them? I don't want to wait and have them become overwhelmed by seeds... I grew these two from bag seeds, so I wouldn't mind finding 2-4 seeds/gram of bud, as long as it is dank..."

The seeds are irrelevant if your bud gets pollenated. You must wait until the bud is ripe no matter what. The seeds should not affect your decision to harvest, when the buds are ready they are ready. Simple as that. BTW you still have weeks to go, the white pistils should recede back into the buds before harvesting even crosses your mind.

Now in my opinion those "pollen sacks" look a lot more like female calyxs. I went through this same dilemma not even 2 months ago. I ended up removing one girl showing these "balls" from the rest for a week from fear she would pollenate them all. LOL I finally figured out that her "nuts" were in reality just another type of bud on the plant. Amazed me.

This should help,
    Are these "nutsacks" usually paired up in twos?
    Are these pairs found at the nodes on the plant below the female flowers?

If you answered yes to both then IMO youve got swollen calyx not pollen.

Another way to tell if youve got a really good magnifier:
    Pluck one of the "sacks" off and slice it with a razor down the middle.
    Do you see to thin dark hairs? If yes then they are female flowers and you can chill.

The biggest indicator is if 2 hairs start to emerge from the tips of the "sacks". If this happens you can be 100% sure that there is NOTHING wrong with your plants in terms of sex.

7. Thanks for the help bro. I preformed the dissection as you advised and i didn't see any dark hairs. i do not have a magnifying glass tho so yeah... Some are paired in twos some not... Yes they are all below the female flowers.

But, i have to admit that when I was picking off one of them some yellow dust sprinkled out... :(

Whatever. The mass I have already smells great. As long as that holds up in the coming months I will be happy, seeds or no.

8. #28 clos3tgrow3r, Feb 12, 2010
    Yikes if you have yellow dust then you prob do have male flowers.

Its possible your babies mother was a hermie too, that would explain the seeds in your bag:p...

just let nature do her thing and even if you get seeds youll have some good smoke soon enough

heres that link I told you about: http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/535804-she-manlady-s-o-s.html might not help you but cant hurt

9. OK. Here are some more pictures. Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

[​IMG]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hows this one? Nice shot of that little bastard! :smoking:

[​IMG]

10. How do you confuse a swollen calyx with a male pollen sack? It's pretty easy for me to tell the two apart. No only that, but his bud is still very premature and unless the bud was pollenated, the calyxs won't really start to swell up until the latter part of flowering when the buds start to pack on weight.

11. Nah, Pick the opihi, she good.

12. So... if maybe one of the pollen sacks breaks open and spills on a single flowering bud will that cause all the other separate buds to produce tons of seeds? Thanks for the input man.

13. No it doesn't work like that. However, air currents could have carried pollen to other bud sites.

14. #34 jabberjaws, Feb 12, 2010
    Are you suggesting I cut and harvest the plants? Pau already? Or try pick the opihi looking pollen sack from the picture? Ha. It does look like one tho right? :smoke:

... at least kind of where the shells join.

15. Hey everyone. Thanks for following my thread up to this point. I feel like it is about that time to start harvesting.

These are the signs that I have noticed favoring harvest soon:

-%50 of the 'hairs' have turned red/brown.
    -They are curling back into the bud.
    -Some of the tricomes (crystals) appear to be turning reddish in hue.
    -The crystals themselves are very abundant.
    -The buds look swollen.

Signs that I should wait:

-The fan leaves are still hanging in there (no signs of wilting).
    -Some of the lower buds are less mature (less brown hairs) than the upper ones.

I read that an early harvest can result in a more cerebral high, which is what I would prefer. It has been about... six weeks since I began harvesting. What do you all think? Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :wave:

16. I'd say give it another week, maybe two. It will give your bottom buds a chance to catch up, while your top buds will still be pretty heady.

17. Really? Here are a few pictures of some of my lowest flowers. They too have some red/brown action going on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Well it's up to you really. If those are you're lower buds I'd say cut it down Sunday just before the lights are supposed to come on. Then dry and start curing during the week. You'll have some smokable bud next weekend.

19. Thanks. I will wait until at least this weekend before harvest... Now I am flushing it with pure h2o. I read that it's a good idea to not give it any water at all 2 days before harvest. Good idea?

20. whether u realize or not this is an awesome thread to show what growing out of season can produce......those are great lookin plants for the light regimine they were on....also u kept it rather simple and its turning out great....well besides hermie action.....buds look tasty....rep for you......