Help with my car please...

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Mr. Bunglesmith, Nov 14, 2009.

1. So I made a thread some of you may have seen describing whats going on with my car. http://forum.grasscity.com/planes-t...uestion-those-knowledge-cars-please-help.html

I drive a 1992 oldsmobile cutlass supreme. Basically, 2 nights ago I began smelling this wierd, almost fish like smell that seems to get stronger if I leave the heat on. As this is happening, my windshield also fogs up so I cant see through it, despite having the defogger on.

Upon inspection yesterday, I realized my coolant was completley gone, and the engine was heating up very fast. My friend dumped an entire bottle of prestone coolant Prestone :: Products : Antifreeze/Coolant in the engine but didnt add any water to it. I plan on pouring water bottles into it until its full when I go out today. So here are my questions:

1) any idea what these problems might be? It has been suggested that I may need a new heating core or something along those line.

2) Any estimates for what a new heating core might cost?

3) Will pouring a few water bottles in be ok? Its probably about 75% full of coolant atm, with no water added at all. I was just gonna add water till it seems like its about to overflow

4) What could be causing the windshield to fog up?

Id take it to have it looked at, but sadly I have almost no $ right now. Just spent most of it getting the car and getting it insured.

2. Anyone? Please :confused:

3. 1. the smell was coolant burning off. so most likely your car over heated, then the coolant in your overflow tank purged. or your heater core may have broken and spit some coolant out.

2. just go to autozone.com or your choice of parts supplier, and enter your zip code, and type of car, then search heater core.

3. what sort of climate do you live in? if its a warm climate you should be fine. if its cold, somewhat snowy, you have too much coolant and it will have trouble heating up properly.

4. it could be that your heater core broke and the heat from the hot coolant flowing through it may have entered the vents and shot steam at your windshield.

4. youll want to mix your antifreeze 50/50 with water. unless you got the premixed stuff? have you noticed any puddles under the car from it leaking? take a look around and see if it looks like its leaking anywhere, also check ur oil and make sure its not like a milkshake consistency

5. #5 bKush, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
    50/50 is not a necessity. its just a form of idiot proof. you can run all coolant or mostly water.

if the weather is decent, go ahead and fill up with water.

6. Your car will run coolant through a heater core, basically a mini radiator, in your air plenum to heat up the inside of your car. That fogging you are noticing is actually coolant leaking from your heater core. You need to replace that asap.

That would explain why your engine is losing coolant, there also could be minor leaks elsewhere, and why your windows are fogging and your engine overheating. Most likely the tech will run a simple pressure test on your cooling system to verify the leaks.

As far as cost goes, it will depend on the repair shop etc, etc, etc.

But I'll be a fat sack of primo that your heater core is leaking coolant inside your car.

7. Check your water pump for cracks, and leaks around the gasket. check your radiator hoses, make sure they are alright also. put water/coolant in, see if it leaks, go for a drive around your block.

8. #8 pmurph, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2009
    Heater cores are not too expensive, but replacing them sucks. Might get expensive at a shop. It definitely sounds like your heater core went though, no doubt.

Your other option, and what I would recommend until you can get it replaced, is to bypass the heater core. Google that it's simple and costs about $5. The downside is your heater won't get hot.

And I'm surprised nobody mentioned using distilled water. Tap is fine if most is leaking out, but distilled is still better. Tap water can mess up head gaskets, and that's a lot more expensive to repair than just buying a $1 gallon of distilled water.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...-Aire_3890759-P_524_R|GRPCOOLAMS_567506854___

$50 at Advance Auto for a new heater core. It should not be difficult on your car, so I would recommend doing it yourself.

And to answer your other questions: Yes keep adding water. If you are leaking that bad then it won't matter much but I'd do a flush when you get everything fixed up. The fog is because the space behind your dash, up against the firewall, and possibly under the carpet is going to be moist from coolant. The heater is blowing air and coolant up through the vents.

9. I'm going to agree and say its is almost definatley the heater core. You can tell for sure by checking a few things.

When you leave the car running still (while hot), does anything leak from the underbody (ie stain the driveway)? If not, the would suggest the leak is internal, and probably the heatercore.

Also, if it is the heater core, your floorboards and under the dash area with probably be moist from the coolant leak. Feel around and see if the floorboard or under the dash are wet, if so, its probably the heater core.

I'm not possitive about the cutlass, but for most cars, replacing the heater core invovles tearing out the dash, but it is something you could do yourself with a few tools.

The windshield fogs up because moist air is being blown onto it.

10. Dont be telling people 50/50 isnt necesary cause it is. Your cooling system works on pressure to increase the boiling point of your coolent. Water will boilm quicker and strait antifreeze will take much longer to boil but it also isnt as efficent as 50/50 mix to transfer heat. Like i said your cooling system works on pressure and its necesary to have an adequite mix enorder to transfer heat properly. I mean if you dont have antifreeze and you must get to the next gas station, water will work, but you NEVER want to run pure water. Not only will it rust and corode your block but it will plug up your radiator cause when you boil water over and over and the minerals in the metal from the block will start to conduct and WILL corode in your radiator.
    Just run 50/50 and replace your heatercore. If you are still having problems after you get the heatcore replaced you might have a waterjacket in the headgasket leaking. Check your oil for a foamy chocolate milkshake texture/color. If it is milky looking then you have a headgasket gone. Also take a quick whiff of your exhaust fumes, If it smells sweet and is a deep white/grey in color then you likely have a headgasket blown.

Theres SOOO many things that can be causing you too loose coolent and the cooling system in your vehicle is one of the most overlooked and most important system to keep you running..
    GL.

11. heater core is my #1 guess. fogs up the windows, exactly what my friends sonoma used to do. and it was a bitch because we had to pull out the dash.

12. What you describe is a leaking heater core.You can find out for sure by having a mechanic pressure test your cooling system. it will either leak into the heater housing or on the floor of your car. There could be more overheating damage if you have driven it that way for a while. if you are pretty mechanical you can go online or to the library and get a manual describing how to repace the heater core.It is a pain in the ass on most cars because you have to disassemble the dash and heater housing to get to it When you put it back together you should replace the coolant with a 50/50 coolant and water mix if you live in a moderate climate or a higher concentrate of coolant/antifreeze for areas that freeze. You should be able to do the work yourself for less than $150.00 if you replace the heater core,hoses and coolant. It will cost much more for a legit shop to do it $400+

hope this helps

13. my first car was a nutless supreme. always overheated. on a few occasions i had to drive with my head out the window

14. lol turn on the heat full blast and rear windows down :D