help with light suggestions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by lXtreeml, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I have a walmart grow bulb, and a sunblaster from a hydro shop and I guess my question is whether this is enough light. I have 5-6 plants under it at about 6 days old, kind of tall but still only little leaves. I want to go with the cheapest low wattage setup with the best results but hey, who doesn't? so I'm open to any deal suggestions or anything like that maybe pointing me in the right direction as far as light goes.

2. How many watts is your sunblaster?

3. the sun blaster is a 24 inch T5 24W and I have a 24 inch 17W grow bulb light that "supposedly" has 75W of light output. I have three more of these that are in another grow box(the wal mart ones). do I need more? should I put up picks of my plants?

4. more light, rule of thumb 100 actual watts per The more light you have after that increase your yield, so get as much light as you can afford keeping in mind that you must control the heat.

5. [quote name='"lXtreeml"']the sun blaster is a 24 inch T5 24W and I have a 24 inch 17W grow bulb light that "supposedly" has 75W of light output. I have three more of these that are in another grow box(the wal mart ones). do I need more? should I put up picks of my plants?[/quote]

Sounds like you are all over the place um the quest is valid but need to ask more about your set up pics would be great what kind of lay out you have your plants arranged in are you going to be doing a scrog set up and any side reflectors.. Pertaing to your wanting to go low wattage lowprice your choice to go with T5'are very inefficeinet compaired to t8 or t12 as far as they do not have a high output. in the sense you do not have high output t5's which are 94w each bulb you see in the 2x2(2x24" bulbs) 2x4(2x48" bulbs) 4x2(4x24") 4x4(4x48") 8x2 etc. configurations you see at the hydrostore. Sidenote don't try to put these bulbs in your set up as ur ballast is not strong enough to power them.. In your case the higher wattage t8 or t12 as they put out more intense light compaired to the HO t5. I've grew cuttings and seedling uner a 2x48" t12 bulbs. I had to keep like fairly close to the plant tops to get good results say 6". This is he nature of flouros. Now CFL's are a little differant story the light produced by them is a little more intense and is sufficient to vegg and flower if you get a good light spread or coverage. IMO if you can return your setup and purchase the 23 w cfl and multi socket y plugs ( plug 2 bulbs into 1 electrical receptacle and plug into multi outlet power strip build a few of these spread out stragic and evenly or best coverage.. This is just one suggestion amount the many out there to be explored

6. Also the light bulb being 75 watts means that you Fluor put out what a 75 watt incodessent light while only using a lower wattage making them more efficient

7. how about LED setups? I found some cheap ones but what about the wattage to sq ft ratio with those?

8. Its all dependent on the watt per diode, for a 3w diode...90-120 watt will cover 2'x2' area, I currently am using a 90 watt LED in conjuction with a T5 for 7 hrs a day and a 400w hps for 5hrs during flowering...I have a single plant under it and to me that is perfect. Also, I used a 96w 2'x4 tube T5 for vegging the first 3 weeks and added 4hrs a day of MH light during the last 2 weeks of vegging. You can check out my grow by clicking the link in my sig. This set-up keeps my electric bill under $20 per month, I pay 11.827cents per kilowatt.

9. damn this gets expensive lol. Well I'm looking into buying some grow tents.. and I'm also going to try and see if I can go full LED or maybe find a good deal on a hps setup and just put my grow tubes and sun blaster as side lights? I can find some cheaper LED panels but I don't want to buy one if it's not going to be enough light. I keep seeing 14w and 28w panels but they say nothing about watts per diode. would these work?

10. I would recommend buying a grow tent. Buy a centrifugal fan and have a good ventilation layout in mind. You want exhaust air to be far away from where air is pulled into your tent - preferably exhausted outside. If you have your ventilation down you can easily put a 250w HPS in there. I would rather have a single 250w HPS then a bunch of small CFL's all over the place. Or you can buy a 150w HPS and have those CFL's as side light. This would be a pretty effective setup although I wouldn't use it in any larger than a 2'x2' grow space.

11. Purchased a 48"x24"x60" tent and a 90W UFO LED light. I'm gonna move all my tube lights and my sunblaster in the tent as well for side and angled light.. and put the UFO above.. I may also look into buying more UFO's or LED panels.

12. [quote name='"lXtreeml"']Purchased a 48"x24"x60" tent and a 90W UFO LED light. I'm gonna move all my tube lights and my sunblaster in the tent as well for side and angled light.. and put the UFO above.. I may also look into buying more UFO's or LED panels.[/QUOTE]

Right on hope you get good results bro... Pics yet??? I have also a 2x4x6.5 tent and running a 600 watt MH/HPS with 4 plants and was looking at getting a UFO Mabey two. What model are you running ur UFO

13. this one is a 3W per diode cheap off brand I think-around $100. However I think the next one I'm gonna buy is most likely going to be a blackstar 240W LED panel. I have heard good things about them and seen a few demo videos showing the friggen yield they get :p, I think there was a comparison thread going on here between a few different brands.. anyway Blackstar LED smoked the competition.