Help With HPS and MH Setup

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by OmegleMeister, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Okay so I am going to be starting my first grow (hopefully). From my research, I need a ballast and reflector, and obviously lights.

Do I buy these three things:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-SBC250-250-Watt-Convertible-Reflector/dp/B0054TCCT4/ref=lh_ni_t - Comes with ballast and reflector.
    Amazon.com: iPower GLBULBH250 250-Watt Super HPS Light Bulb for Magnetic and Digital Ballast: Patio, Lawn & Garden - This 250w HPS
    Amazon.com: Sunlite MH250/U/MOG 250-Watt Metal Halide ED28 Bulb, Mogul Base, Clear: Home Improvement - This 250w MH

OR

Amazon.com: 250w Digital Super HPS Grow Light System with Air Cooled Hood. Best 250 watt hydroponic grow light set. 250w Ballast, Super High Pressure Sodium, 6" Air Cooled Hood, yoyo and Timer kit. Compare with Hydrofarm and Sun Light: Patio, Lawn &

I am not sure if the second option is convertible to MH. If it isn't should I be going with the first set of items? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

2. I'd go for the last on the list, but thats me ..what you gonna VEG with ? ..your first grow ..take it slow, read it up'

V

3. How big is your grow space? A ballast that can run Mh and HPS is best.

4. Yeah I realized I need to get the convertible ballast with the reflector and then just buy one of each type of bulb at 250 watts. My grow space is probably (I hope) going to be 2 x 2 x 5

5. Digital ballasts (the one most commonly sold today) run either MH or HPS without any switch. If you purchase a switchable unit, it's a magnetic ballast.

Both have their pros and cons.

6. IIRC, magnetic last much longer.

Can you mention the other pros/cons if you don't mind.

7. definately the last one. HPS is overall better than MH from what ive read. Ive heard MH is better for vegetating, but worse for flowering than HPS is for vegging if that makes sense.

8. I run mh for veg and hps for flower, the last 2 weeks of flower I switch to a more blue spectrum mh bulb though.

9. #9 zippy657, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
    id be looking at t5s and suplimental cfl for a grow that size to be honest. The last one you listed on there is what i would get too if you are set on the 250 hid system. Im not sure if they make 250W conversion bulbs, but if they do then you don't need to worry so much about the ballast, just buy the MH bulbs meant for HPS ballasts... they are a little more, but nothing outrageous, at least in 600W it works that way.

I think you would find that an 8 lamp 2 x 2 24W T5 system would be cheaper, cooler, and easier. That with like 4 24W cfl's to compensate for fluorescent lackluster penetration would bring as good a yield as any HPS in that space.

I usually feel this way about 250W HID systems... that size grow makes is such that CFL or T5s are the simpler options at that size. Cooling is difficult and bulbs and duct fans are expensive with HID and if you are only growing one plant or two small ones, the scale isnt large enough to justify maintaining all that crap for the extra couple watts you save using HID. This is what fluorescents are for.

10. Magnetic ballasts do last for a long time. If they break down, it usually takes a $10-20 part to fix. A magnetic HPS ballast is the only one that can run a ceramic metal halide to. The worst deal is the humming.

Digital ballasts are quiet and can run pretty much any bulb, but were made to be thrown away.

11. And the lugging them back and forth, especially old 1000w ballast ;)

12. Go with pure 1's setup

13. Will this set up also adequetly light up a 4x4 tent?

14. the one i posted, yes. I plan on doing 4x4x8 with this, 600w is good.

15. I'm in a 4x4x6 tent right now with a 600 watt. You might wanna invest in a air cooled hood. I had heat issues until I finally bought a cool tube.
    Good luck man :)