help with first grow please.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by iBreak2, Nov 13, 2009.

1. hey guys can anyone help me with watering tips. lets start from the the beginning. how much should i water as soon as i plant my seed? and so on. i know by week three i should be adding food. I have bought some drops that i add to water, but how much water should i be feeding my seedlings?

2. After the seed sprouts, assuming you germinated it, you can either pop it into pre-soaked rock wool cubes, or the same in soil, which ever you prefer, you dont want the soil to ever dry out. But you also want the roots too breathe. Either way, have your plant with whatever medium you choose to use always be sitting in a little water. If you have the funds, I would consider maybe a moisture meter, but over time, you will find you will just kinda "grow" with your plants and know what they require and when they require it.

3. WATERING:
    Ok before you plant the germinated seeds run DISTILLED WATER (I CANNOT STERSS THAT ENOUGH) through the soil till some starts to drain out of the soil (Distilled is for PH balance due to its ph being 7 and you needing 6.3-6.8, Tap water is high usually). Then once they are planted, LEAVE THEM ALONE no light, sometimes the fragile tap root can get cooked. Once it sprouts out 3-4 days later, remove some dirt away from the sprout so small amount of water can pool there(that way the main root gets what it needs). Typically water it every 2-3 days depending on Temps drying soil, and how fast your soil drains. Keep watering until 30% of what your pot can hold comes out of the bottom of the pot, AKA 'Run-off' water. You can test by sticking your finger down about an inch (Not near plant) in the soil, and seeing if its moist or not, Sometimes the top looks dry but it is moist underneath.

NUTRIENTS:
    Look for dry supplements (thats what I use). Look for Phosphorus bone meal (wal mart). its 6-9-0. those numbers mean Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium, for Veg stage you want more phosphorus(Roots) and potassium(cell reproduction) than nitrogen. How you do this is that bone meal is 6-9-0 so you just need potassium. My potassium supp is 0-0-10 so i mix it 3 cups each gives me a mix that gives 6-9-10.

For flowering you want more nitrogen than potassium something like 14-9-1. Now you just need to learn how to mix. if you ad 5 cups PBM 6-9-0 and 5 cups nitro supp 8-0-0 that makes 14-9-0. But you still need potassium but not 10 like it gives. so we dial it down, since we added 5 cups we need 1/10th of that to give us 1 instead of 10. so just 1/2 cup and mix together.

just mix the powder with the first 2/3 in of soil and water. I would do this every 5-6 waterings(13-15 days)

Hope this is informative, I'd recommend reading in indoor grows and absolute beginners Nutrient guide. It will explain what it needs at what times and can prevent problems..

Hope I Helped :)

4. thanks a bunch guys. i have been reading around alot but it is always good to get input from users about my specific questions. i have one more half question. if im gonna start my seed in a party cup how do i get run off? should i put little holes in the bottom and put it in a dish?

5. Yeah, you would want drain holes. with the tray under it so no leaking and to have it sit in water when needed too. But depending on how big your "party cup" is will determine how many holes in the bottom.