Help with exhaust from grow room to garage. 1st time grower.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jmallen2525, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Hi. I have been reading the message boards for hours and hours on end trying to learn as much as I can. I am building a grow room in my garage, I have normal 2 car garage, I plan to build a 6ft deep by 11 feet long by 7 foot tall room, splitting in at about 6x5 and 6x6 for flower/veg rooms. My concern is I really don't want to cut a hole in the side of the house for exhaust. There is already a 15x6 inch vent at the bottom of the wall for intake into the garage or directly into the room, however my question is can I setup a high exhaust that just blows straight into the garage or up into the rafters? I could either pull intake from outside or from the garage as well down low. I am very new to this. I have two 600 lights with am lumatek double ballast and a set of 4, 4foot high output t5s for vegging, still need to purchase fans plus more. Thank you for any advice!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2. The whole point is to remove the heat from your flowering space. If you can vent your flowering rooms into the garage and still keep the temp low enough, that is fine. You just have to get the heat away. Do you mean you're splitting your room in two for flower and veg....or are you doing 2 flowering rooms? Wasn't clear on that. If you're doing only 2 rooms, one for flower and one for veg, make the flower side a good bit larger than the veg side. It takes less room to handle the veg side of things and you want all the room you can manage when you go to flower because these plants will double or triple in size once you put them into flower and space is generally at a premium when you get to that point. Are you planning on installing a scrubber for your garage? Not sure of your location or whether this would be something you would need, but when you get on into flower, the smell gets strong and if you have people near your garage, I would think it would be pretty easy to pick up on the smell if you've not done anything to get rid of it. If it's a nonissue, then good for you. LOL

3. My garage is where I smoke as well so as far as that smell goes I'm not too concerned. However I think I could still add a scrubber when I get to that point. I am in the very beginning stages right now. And yes I mean one large room, split into two for veg and flower, and yes I was planing to do the veg room at about 6x4 maybe and the flower room at 6x7. Should the intake come directly from outside or should it come from the garage?

4. [​IMG]

Here is a pic of where the room will go. (outlined in blue tape, and yes the dogs will be relocated lol)

5. #5 Plunderfull, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
    My garage setup pulls air from inside the garage and then exhausts out a vent similar to yours ( except its a 6 inch round port). There is a seperate port that I used for a few days that pulled air from outside, but I found pulling air from inside of the garage gave me a more consistent temp and humidity in my grow tent.
    Before I got my exaust locked into the port, it fell out and exhausted into the garage overnight and it turned my garage into a sauna. I would not recommend that especially if you're hanging out in there smoking.

6. For exhaust is there another vent somewhere? I would look into that more because intake can be taken from anywhere but exhausting heat is a little tricky.

7. So it's OK that intake is from inside the garage? It's comfortable room temperature air in the garage because it houses dogs as well so it's always pretty consistent. I thought intake needed to be cold air from outside? So if I use that rectangle vent (with the homemade pink cat door hanging in front of it in the picture) is that too low to be exhaust? I that thought exhaust needed to be high?

8. [​IMG]

Or, a friend suggested building two sealed boxes around the small hole vents that I circled in the picture at the roof, and directing the exhaust to those boxes, which would let the air excape throigh the holes. But I feel like those holes won't let enough air out, they are about 2.5 inches aound, 3 holes in each section.

9. #9 atticspace, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
    You should have roof vents in the ceiling above the rafters. You should be able to hook up some 6 inch ventilation hose with a fan to push it out directly to the roof vent and you're good. If it's a ridge vent that runs the length of the roof you can either exhaust as close to that as possible or just put in a round roof vent. It's really pretty simple. Just cut a hole. Drop in the pre made vent housing you buy at Lowes or home depot then just seal it up and run your vent line to it. Easy.

10. I am trying to avoid cutting. However cutting a roof vent would be more hidden than a vent on the side of the house so I like that idea better. That could be left in even if the grow room was removed. Do I risk much damage to the roof?

11. New plan is to cut a roof vent, install max fan (334 cfm) and a y connector to connect that vent to both rooms. Then will use the lower wall vent for passive into into both rooms

12. Roof vent should be good, make sure to get filter of some sort for your intake (you can get what looks like screen material for the end of the hose) especially because you had dogs living in there.

13. For the amount of money you are going to spend and time involved you should just get co2 and makes your rooms sealed.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

14. P.s check your local grow shops and craiglist for a used 20lb tanks and regulator and controller or look into a good low cost setup like this one on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004MUDNKS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1444021270&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=co2+controller&dpPl=1&dpID=41rrb7g93ML&ref=plSrch

Link is just the regulator for co2 tank but there is a bundle that includes the a tank and a controller to set ppm range on the same page. Think its around $390!

Also I picked up a cheap inline duct booster fan to move air between my veg and flower room. $20 from hardware store.. looking at your set up I really dont think you should be cutting holes yet looks like you should have enough room to hook up a register boot on that bottom vent if you need an intake/exhaust.

: )

15. Being winter I thought I would wait in cutting the roof and just vent into the garage. Only going to run 2 600s and 1 4bulb t5. I have dogs living in the garage as well (outside the room of course) I was told not to mess with co2 just yet. Would love some basic info on it. Cost and how difficult it is to seal the room, also does that mean I would need an air conditioner?

16. If u cut threw the roof make sure you use tar out side and inside to seal any holes for water. [​IMG]this is how I set mines up. But mines blow into the attic. I didn't have to cut threw the roof.

Sent from my Z813 using Tapatalk

17. #17 K.I.S.S, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015

Not sure why you were recommended to stay away from c02 but I would say run it. Sealing the room should not be difficult. Make sure you plug all holes for equipent/power/ventilation. I run 2600 watts in my flower room barebulb. I installed a mini split but dont have to turn it on as much with the co2 as the plants handle the high heat better with it around 800- 1200ppm. : ) prior to co2 i had to run ac when the lights were on constant.... if you use co2 go with the tank, as a generator is just a heater and would raise your temps!!! For a co2 generator I would say a/c is mandatory!!

Get the tank you wont regret it ; ) try to find it used

18. Im pretty sure you won't have a heat issue as long as both rooms have good air movement. If you use air cooled hoods on the 600's I can say that I'm100% positive heat wont be an issue. If anything i would be worried about humidity. I alao run another 8 bulb T5 and 1000 watt mh in my veg and can tell you that heat was a huge concern. I also have my ballast in garage so anything thats lets me run my garage hot is good with me : ) Yield wise the co2 is a good early investment. Look for used equipment where you can : ) Interested to see how your room turns out!!

Sealing your room just take a little extra planning but it eliminates the need for an intake. It makes your grow room a closed grow environment. I split my garage in two with a partition made of a few 1 x 1's and some panda film. I found a door in the thrash( it was a free door) and added weather seal on the sides of doorway and on entrance to garage. I patched all holes and room is now air/light tight. I have an exhaust fan with damper installed in case i need to clear the air out in room and keep negative pressure... I use a cheap duct fan to move air between rooms. haha im stoned and realize that was alot. Bottom line though is u dont need no stinking exhaust holes : ) get or make a register boot for that vent at the bottom and attach appropriate duct size for your fan if you need to.

Total cost to build wall was $25.00.

What are you planning on building the room out of and what do temperature's in your garage get like durinv winter?

19. Thanks for advice. I spent the weekend on making sure I had proper electricity in the garage before I get too involved in this project. I ran 2 20amp breakers, one to a 4 outlet box of 125v outlets, the other is to its own 240v outlet that will run my dual lumatek ballast only. At the moment my garage is trashed :( This is tough as my garage is very important to me, it is where I smoke, think, relax, and just about everything else. I do have dogs that sleep in kennels in the garage every night and I can't avoid that, therefor the garage does has to stay at a decent temp. In the summer we usually leave the door from the garage to the house open, and the air conditioning on pretty high in the house which tends to keep the garage cool, in the winter I run a portable heater for the pups.
    Right now I have cleared off the garage wall, installed outlets, I need to patch up the wall and repaint it. Then I plan to build a framed room wtih 2x4s, splitting the room into two (one being slightly smaller for veg, the other for flower). What I haven't decided is if im going to insulate/sheetrock the room, or just throw up some panda film on the 2x4s? My goal for this room is to build it with the idea that it may not work out, therefor I don't want to drop a ton of money, however if it does work out, I could possibly add things like better walls/co2/light controllers, things that will make my grow even more efficient. My goal is to produce 4 oz a month for myself. I thought I'll start my first grow with just 3 plants under 1 600, and see how that turns out, after that I was thinking 6 plants under 2 600s.
    I really would like more info on co2, I had heard that if I don't know how to use it properly I could harm my pets.
    My plan for exhaust (like I said at the moment I have a blank wall with outlets, so all plans for up for suggestions/tweaking/advice!) was just to attach 2 air cooled lights to my 334cfm Max Can Fan, and direct that through the roof through a 6 inch roof vent that I plan to cut. Should that air intake be coming from outside just to cool the light? Then I'll need another exhaust and intake. ahhHH!! I need a blueprint!! :) Let the fun begin!

20. Panda makes a super good quality low cost wall. Just toss up frame and upgrade as needed. That is easily upgrade with Basically a cheap grow tent : ) Glad that the power is already figured out for your room. I had to run a subpanel for lights and controllers and a disconnect box for my mini split and upgrade wiring to my garage to handle 240... what a PITA!
    Plug your lights in and let them run for awhile and check temps of your garage... between you your lights and your dogs : ) also take note of humidity. .. its not major (btu) for a space that big you dig : )

I had to make an airflow chart and originally ran an exhaust up in my ceiling venting into attic and an intake from outside.

I now run CGE and never looked back. If your environment is dialed in then the plants will thrive : )