Help With Everything A-Z...I Have done this But not on This Scale.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MountainAppraiser, Jan 15, 2014.

1. #1 MountainAppraiser, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
    Hey Guys, I know it says this is my first post however i had another account lost it dont care to retrieve it so im not new. Anyways! I plan to start a new grow. I harvested my first grow roughly 3 months ago, results were poor. Had White Powdery Mildew, hermies and it was more or less a learning experience. I built a 4x2x4 Grow Box with 4 bag seed plants 2 of which turned out to be male and i caught it to late. NOW i want to try something different better and all around an upgrade and produce excellent results. 

I am going to ditch the box i built entirely and use a grow tent. I want a controlled environment and for me a plywood box lined with a space blanket wasn't doing it. Here is a list (with pictures) of what i plan itopurchase. I desire your input and suggestions to make this the best grow as possible to achieve optimal results. 

Grow Tent. 
    Aviditi PTU-67 Mylar Reflective Hydroponic Grow Tent with T-Zipper, 48" Wide by 24" Deep by 60" Highh
    Grow Tent.jpg
    Grow Tent 2.jpg
      400 Watt HPS Cool Tube
    Light.jpg Light 2.jpg

LEDwholesalers GYO2402 6-Inch 240 CFM Air Duct Inline Hydroponic Booster Fan

Inline Fan.jpg

iPower GLFILT6M Air Carbon Filter Odor Control with Australia Virgin Charcoal for Inline Fan 6 Inch Scrubber.jpg   Now Naturally of course this is just a start. I Also Plan to Acquire: 

Ph Meter/Tester
    6" Ducting
    Nutes etc...

My question to you is What all do i need other than what i have listed to make this work? I live in a very rural "boonies" type area with the nearest hydroshop located roughly 120 Miles away. So you can see my delima i cant just run out and purchase whatever on a whim. I plan to Grow Northern Lights, Super Silver Lemon Haze, Pineapple Express, and Train Wreck. I want to grow in soil and plan to use Fox Farms Ocean Forest. My State (KY) law says that: 

Cultivation of less than 5 plants (first offense) is a misdemeanor, punishable by 1 year in jail and a $500 fine. So i am going to keep it at that. Seeds will be purchased feminized from attitude seed bank. 

What Nutes should i use? 

Do you recommend any other strains specific to my grow design? 

Are These to finicky for my grow?

What do you see missing from my list of equipment that i need? I want to make one purchase and be done. Please advise!

-Mountain Appraiser. 

2. That is an inline booster fan, you want a real inline fan thatll actually pull the air through the filter. Check out hydrofarms inline. Also as a reccomendation, get a 4x4 instead of a 4x2. I have 2 plants in a 3x2 and im trying to find a way to hold the doors open to make a makeshift expansion. The added foot in width would be cool, but id be so much happier with a 4x4, so just passin on my mistake.Sent from my SCH-R970C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Agree with supersize about the fan, you'll need something stronger than that. Those kits are affordable because they don't give you what you need, the people who put them together are trying to make money. Better off building your own setup.

A 400w light projects an effective footprint of 3'x3', so you're losing 1' of prime lighting and gaining 1' of sub-par lighting with a 4x2. Sure, the square footage matches the light but so would a 1'x8', it's just not an optimal shape for an HID. With a 4x2 you'll need either a T-5 or a 600w hps to effectively cover the width. 400w is underpowered for those dimensions.

Your light should be the first priority, then you select your enclosure and ventilation to match the light. If I wanted a veg, clone, or mother area with a T-5 light, then I might purchase a 4x2 tent. If I want a flowering area with an HID light then I would select a tent that matches the effective footprint of the light. 400w = 3x3, 600w = 4x4.

Of course, you can grow just fine with a 400w or 600w in a 4x2, it's just not the most efficient use of your space. That being said, you'll need a 6" 440cfm fan and matching filter. Costs anywhere from $130 - $250, recommend buying a good filter. Those kits are utter garbage, add $150 to the cost for effective ventilation and that's with bargain bin equipment.

4. Recommend G13 pineapple express from attitude, one of my favorite strains. The finished product smelled like candy, tasted fruity, and packed a nice punch.

5. Excellent ideas! Thank you very much for the input...as far as nutes and soil goes, what would you recommend? Is ocean forest sufficient? Also regarding the first reply, shouldnt the filter be expelling air instead of pulling it through? Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

6. No, you want the filter in the tent and the inline fan at the exhaust hole at the top of the tent. The fan pulls through the filter. Those inline fans work most efficiently that way.

7. So as far as physical setup goes. Two ducts on each side of the cool tube. One in and one out..on the exit side of the cool tube would one have the fan and filter on the exhaust side pulling air in through said filter and out of the box? Could someone get me a diagram ? Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

8. [quote name="Not Sure" post="19342054" timestamp="1389753329"]Agree with supersize about the fan, you'll need something stronger than that. Those kits are affordable because they don't give you what you need, the people who put them together are trying to make money. Better off building your own setup.A 400w light projects an effective footprint of 3'x3', so you're losing 1' of prime lighting and gaining 1' of sub-par lighting with a 4x2. Sure, the square footage matches the light but so would a 1'x8', it's just not an optimal shape for an HID. With a 4x2 you'll need either a T-5 or a 600w hps to effectively cover the width. 400w is underpowered for those dimensions.Your light should be the first priority, then you select your enclosure and ventilation to match the light. If I wanted a veg, clone, or mother area with a T-5 light, then I might purchase a 4x2 tent. If I want a flowering area with an HID light then I would select a tent that matches the effective footprint of the light. 400w = 3x3, 600w = 4x4.Of course, you can grow just fine with a 400w or 600w in a 4x2, it's just not the most efficient use of your space. That being said, you'll need a 6" 440cfm fan and matching filter. Costs anywhere from $130 - $250, recommend buying a good filter. Those kits are utter garbage, add $150 to the cost for effective ventilation and that's with bargain bin equipment.[/quote]This isn't a kit this was me purchasing everything separate. Everything was found individually. Tent, fan (wrong one), light is all separate. I buy based on reviews. Each product had many 4 1/2 star reviews. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

9. I would recommend mixing your own soil, recipe I use is in my grow journal, link in my sig. If you don't want to mix it I would go with happy frog soil, extra perlite (5 gal per bag of hf soil), espoma tomato-tone, wormcastings, and dolomite lime. With organics you don't need to check ph, which can run an extra $100 if you buy a decent meter and quarts of solution.

Yea, I noticed after I replied that you put that together yourself, didn't care to edit. But yea, that's exactly what you'd find in a kit, all mismatched, underpowered equipment. I'm sure the reviews on that fan are spot on, problem is it isn't designed to do what you're trying to use it for. The light kit seems a little pricey, few bucks more gets you a lumatek with 5 year warranty and air cooled hood. Check out www.hydroponics.net for equipment

10. [quote name="Not Sure" post="19342904" timestamp="1389760231"]I would recommend mixing your own soil, recipe I use is in my grow journal, link in my sig. If you don't want to mix it I would go with happy frog soil, extra perlite (5 gal per bag of hf soil), espoma tomato-tone, wormcastings, and dolomite lime. With organics you don't need to check ph, which can run an extra $100 if you buy a decent meter and quarts of solution.Yea, I noticed after I replied that you put that together yourself, didn't care to edit. But yea, that's exactly what you'd find in a kit, all mismatched, underpowered equipment. I'm sure the reviews on that fan are spot on, problem is it isn't designed to do what you're trying to use it for. The light kit seems a little pricey, few bucks more gets you a lumatek with 5 year warranty and air cooled hood. Check out www.hydroponics.net for equipment[/quote]Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll take your recommendations into consideration. I'll go with the 4x4 and the 600w hps, as well as the inline fan. I want this to be the best setup possible. Not looking to spend a fortune, but also not wanting to compromise. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk