Help with ebb and flow design please.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by hornedfrog2000, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I was planning on using a 3'x3'x4.25" flood table. The only thing is I'm planning on using 5.25"x5.25"x6" pots. Now obviously the pots are higher than the actual flood tray 6" vs the 4.25" table. If I flood the table to 3" and only have hydroton in the pots would the hydroton that gets wet (on the bottom of the pot), absorb to the hydroton on the top of the pot? I'm just hoping to get your opinion on how this might work, or if I should try to find a deaper 3x3 table.

2. your gonna wanna max out your flood... find a deeper tray.. or smaller pots

others might argue.. but really you want the water as high as it can go... then there's more water for a longer period of time...

OR.... you would have to flood more often.. because of the the lack of water...

the hydroten does not soak water.. it holds kinda like a vapor... not like a sponge

3. Cool. I think I'll get the deeper tray. It will be more of a pain in the ass to modify, but I can spend this weekend doing it I guess.

4. good move.. shouldnt be alot more

5. i would go with smaller pots.
    flood and drain, is a process that takes a long time with bigger trays, with long fill and drain times, the longer the roots are under water without proper aeration, so ur suffocating them.

6. My system floods approx 2 inches high on a 11inch pot. I get exceptional smoke and yield. The capillary affect means that water is drawn up through the pot. Not all the way to the top but works well for me - i wouldn't worry about it too much

7. yeah 2" water is fine, thats a fast fill up and fast drain